MJX Bugs 3 Brushless Independent ESC 3D Roll for Gopro 3 Gopro 4 RC Quadcopter RTF - RC Groups
Jan 15, 2017, 07:50 AM
GOT WINGS
Mini-Review

MJX Bugs 3 Brushless Independent ESC 3D Roll for Gopro 3 Gopro 4 RC Quadcopter RTF

MJX Bugs 3

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of Banggood. Banggood shipped this quad using DHL on January 5, 2017 and it arrived on January 13,2017 with only minor dings in the box. It was shipped by expedited shipping service, 8 days from shipped to arrival, very good transit time. It is well packaged and the box measures 390 x 340 x 160 millimeters. Pictures:
Name: zzbugs3box.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 72.3 KB
Description: Name: zzbugs3bx2.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 76.9 KB
Description: Name: zzbugs3bx3.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 53.6 KB
Description: Name: zzbugs3bx4.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 51.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbugs3bxcnt.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 93.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbugs3bxcnt3.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 80.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbugs3bxcnt2.jpg
Size: 65.5 KB
Description:

First Impression and Description

This quad is 310mm size and it seems nicely built. The body seems somewhat flexible but it has a solid feel to it. It is all black with eyses on the front and silver brushless 1806 motors. It has black props, prop guards, and landing gear. The long landing gear is flexible and looks like it will hold up well to hard landings. It also has shorter landing gear built into the motor mounts, the longer gear are for mounting a camera underneath. The props have built in plastic M5 self tightening mounting nuts - cw and ccw, and have molded in directional mounting diagrams. It comes with a GoPro style camera mount that clips onto the bottom of the battery tray. Camera mount, props, prop guards, and landing gear must be assembled. It has LEDs under each arm and large white headlight center front. LEDs are white under front arms and blue under back arms. The battery is proprietary, encased in a plastic shell, and fits snuggly in the battery tray. Battery is rated as 2S, 1800mah, and 25C. Battery has a XT30 connector that mates with the connector built into the body at the back above the battery tray. The transmitter is all white with white buttons and sticks, but has a red shoulder button for arming/disarming the motors. It has a button for two speeds, a camera button, and a flip button. It does not have a switch or button for turning off the accelerometers to fly in 3-axis gyro mode. The manual is better than most but still has a few poorly written instructions.
Name: zzbugs3.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 75.5 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3quadfrt.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 59.7 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3qdant.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 78.2 KB
Description:

Banggood's Description:

Brand Name: MJX
Item NO.: Bugs 3
Color: Black
Frequency : 2.4G
Channel : 4CH
Gyro:6 Axis
Overall height: 140mm
Main rotor diameter: 188mm
Wheelbase: 310mm
Copter battery: 7.4V 2S 25C 1800mAh LiPo Battery (included)
Transmitter Power: 4 x 1.5V AA battery (not included)
Brushless motor: 1806 1800KV
Remote distance: 300-500m
Charging time: About 300mins
Flying time: About 18mins(without landing gear and protective cover)
Copter Weight: 485g( with landing gear, protective and battery)
Copter size: 310 X 310 X140mm

Features:
Brushless Motor strong power to the quadcopter
Support to mount Gopro and xiaomi xiaoyi motion camera
Smart remote control alarm function
Independent ESCs provide worry-free flying experience
Two flight modes of the model: low speed and high speed
Inverted Flight, Rolling 180 ,3D Flip
7.4 inches easily distinguished& autolock propeller
7.4V 1800mAh high capacity battery support maximum flying 18-19 mins, which saturates all your desires about flying postures of an aerial drone
The latest 6 axis flight control system, permits super stable flight
Super bright LED lights aid in orientation and allow for night flying
The quadcopter can fly both indoor and outdoor.Including 4CH digital proportional RC system.
Functions: Up/down, turn left / right, forward / backward, left / right sidewayfly, with light, 3D rolling

Package included:
1 x MJX Bugs 3 Quadcopter
1 x Transmitter
1 x 7.4V 25C 1800mAh LiPo Battery
4 x Spare Blade
4 x Protection Frame
4 x Landing Skid
1 x Screwdriver
1 x Charger
1 x Propeller fixing mount
1 x Camera mount
1 x Manual

Dimensions and Weights
Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----310mm.....................................MTM Side to Side-----219mm
MTM Front to Back-----219mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance-----65mm
Transmitter measures-----150 x 134 x 47 mm .................................Transmitter Sticks-----85mm CTC x 20mm tall
Props measure-----187 mm................................................ ..................Motors--1806 1800KV
Quadcopter body weight-----279.7 grams............................................. All up weight-----483.5 grams
Landing gear-----36.0 grams............................................. .......................Prop guards-----36.0 grams
Battery-----113.4 grams............................................. ...............................Camera---NA
grams

Range of quad/fpv-----500 feet plus......................................... ... ............Battery bay-----115.0 x 36.0 x 21.0 mm
Battery measures-----115.2 x 36.0 x 20.5 mm

Transmitter
The transmitter is smaller than an Aosenma CG035 tx or a Cheerson CX-20 tx. It has a green LED power indicator top center front and 4 trim. It has no LCD display screen. Sticks are a little short cannot easily be replaced with standard 3mm adjustable sticks. The manual has instructions for calibrating the transmitter and the quad using the transmitter. I took apart the transmitter to check the top right shoulder button because I have not been able to get it to work, but I did not find a loose wire or anything obvious. There is one vertical and one horizontal transmitter antennas inside the tx. I will include pictures of inside the transmitter, two show the GPS.
Name: zzzbg3tx.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 67.8 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3tx2.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 68.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3txbuttons.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 48.3 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3txbat.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 109.8 KB
Description:

First Flights
First flight was without prop guards or long landing gear, it was about 35 degrees F with less than 4mph wind, and very damp with a little bit of drizzle. It is very stable and I was surprised at how fast it seemed. So it might not be a racer, but is plenty fast for a beginner or intermediate quad pilot. Yaw rate seems very good and it does very tight funnels. It has good power and very steep pitch in high speed rate. LEDs are good and the front spotlight is bright, it should be a good night flyer. It was a short first flight, maybe 5 minutes, my hands were getting very cold. I was fairly impressed. But I must add that lately I have mostly been flying the CX-20 and CG035 which are GPS equipped camera quads. The Bugs 3 seems very sporty compared to them.
As of January 15, 2017 the weather has remained cold and it has been raining most of the time so no more flights have been possible yet.

UPDATE 1/16/2017
I managed a couple of flights today, again with no prop guards or the long landing gear. The first flight with the stock battery, 5 - 10mph winds and about 45 degrees F. I stopwatch timed the flight at 17 minutes and 40 seconds until the quad landed itself for lack of power. I did some moderately aggressive flying for most of the flight, but mostly hovered dafter the LVC warning started. The transmitter started beeping low voltage warning and the arm lights started flashing at about 14 minutes 40 seconds, so a good 3 minutes from warning to landing. The battery after rest was at 7.00 volts or 3.5 volts per cell. The battery was not very warm at all. Also range tested it out over 500 feet. Funnels were within 6 feet diameters. Auto flips caused very little change in altitude, you can hear the quad power up and it flips very quickly. Hard to really gauge pitch angle when it is windy, but my guess is the pitch is close to 45 degrees. It was hard to get completely out of the wind to test stability, but it still seemed very stable in hover. There also did not seem to be any wobble at all when coming out of a sharp banked turn or a funnel, but I forgot to test for wobble (vortex ring state) when descending straight down. I tried a flight with a battery that has a JST plug, but that battery is old and the LVC warning came on at about 2 minutes.

Range
The range is advertized as 300 - 500 meters and there is a warning beeper that goes off when the quad to transmitter signal starts getting weak. Range tests later.
Update 1/16/2017
I managed a bit of a range test today - flew out over 500 feet, maybe close to 800 feet with no loss of control or signal loss warning.

Battery and Charger
The battery came charged to 4.08 volts per cell or 8.16 volts total. It is proprietary and is encased in a plastic housing with a balance plug and an XT30 plug. The stock charger has it's own wall wort with US plug and charges using only the balance plug. I used the charger to top off the battery and it charged to 4.20 volts on each cell.
Name: zzbg3bat.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 71.0 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3bat2.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 74.7 KB
Description: Name: zzb3charger.jpg
Size: 64.1 KB
Description:
Update 1/16/2017
The battery was discharged to about 3.5 volts per cell after flying until lift was gone. Charged it with my Imax B6 and it put 1965mahs back into the battery, so seems like a decent battery.

Camera Quad?
The quad is advertised as "for Gopro 3 Gopro 4". The kit comes with a non-powered gimbal or camera mount. The mount appears to be sized for a GoPro sized camera. It is mounted by sliding it into a slot on the bottom of the battery bay and has a rubber mounting to isolate vibration. There is socket under the canopy at the front of the fcb for plugging in a camera. There is also space at the front of the quad on the inside of the body near the headlight where a camera could be mounted. Inside the back cover of the manual there are pictures of optional parts that include two wifi cameras and a 5.8ghz FPV camera but I could not find those cameras for sale after a brief search. Those cameras look like they are designed to fit in that space near the front of the body.
Name: zzbg3cammnt.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 79.0 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3optparts.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 85.3 KB
Description:

Quad comparison
This quad is smaller than a CX-20 which is a 350mm size quad, bigger than a CG035 at 250mm, and it measures 310mm motor to motor diagonally. Props are 187mm or about 7 3/8 inch long, smaller than stock CX-20 props at 8 inches and longer than CG035 props at 6 inches.
Name: zzbgs3qdcmp2.jpg
Size: 83.6 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3qdcmp2.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 80.0 KB
Description:

LEDs
There is a bright headlamp LED that is almost blinding when looking directly at it. LEDs are located under each arm, the front are white and the back are blue. The blue back LEDs only light up when the motors are turning. I discovered while trying to get a picture of the back LEDs that the motors will automatically disarm if there is no input from the transmitter for 15 seconds.
Name: zzbg3hdlmp.jpg
Size: 54.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3ledfrnt.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 65.0 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3leds.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 59.3 KB
Description:

Conclusion
The MJX Bugs 3 looks good and seems put together well. It flys only in 6-axis stabilization mode and has no acro mode. It should make a good camera quad. It is not a fast and sporty flyer, but with the brushless motors has decent speed. LEDs are good for low light flying and the headlight is bright enough to help in daylight. The manual is written better than most. It will probably be a good introductory brushless quad for newer quad pilots, but if you are looking for a racer with acro mode, this is not that quad. My rating is at this time is based on only 3 flights, but I am fairly impressed with this quad so far. I would rate this quad at about an 8 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Nicely built/good looking design.
Good power.
Very stable.
Good pitch and yaw.
Good LEDs for night flying.
On/off switch.
Smooth, quiet brushless motors.
Decent instruction manual.
Long flight time.
Good flight range.

Cons
All black, not good for orientation.
Proprietary battery.
Uncommon XT 30 battery plug.
Rather small and simple transmitter.
No on/off switch.

Thanks to Banggood for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here for $109.00 USD shipped: http://www.banggood.com/MJX-Bugs-3-B...l?rmmds=search
At the time of this first posting, spare parts do not appear to be available at Banggood. Coming soon I hope.
Last edited by siriusflier; Jan 17, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2017, 07:51 AM
GOT WINGS
Teardown and Modifications

Since it has been near freezing and raining for the last 2 days I could not do much outdoor flying, so had plenty of time or teardown and mods. The top of the body or canopy snaps in place and can easily be removed by pressing the tabs of the retainers together. Inside the flight control board and esc's are neatly mounted and the wires are nicely routed. The only electronic components outside of the body are the motors and arm LEDs. LEDs are plugged into the board and the motors seem to be plugged and soldered. The battery plug is held in place by a frame and a snap on retainer. There is a large space on the bottom near the front of the body, underneath the spot light, where a camera could probably be mounted if you do not want to mount an external camera. I made an adapter using the female pins from a tamiya style connector so that I can use some of my higher capacity 2S lipos with JST connectors. I also used an old tamiya connector to make an adapter so I can use my pro chargers to charge the battery. I think I may use a velcro strap to hold the batteries in place in the tray.
Name: zzbg3canoy.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 64.0 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3hdlt.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 85.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3fcb.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 141.0 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3led.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 52.9 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3plug.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 134.0 KB
Description: Name: zzbatplugs.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 102.8 KB
Description:

I also took apart the transmitter and the insides are those of a fairly simple transmitter. The tx antenna was hot glued in a horizontal position near the top and in front of the tx pcb. I drilled a hole in the top of the fake antenna housing and ran the antenna up into the dummy plastic and out through the hole in the top.
Name: zzbg3txin.jpg
Views: 146
Size: 145.2 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3txant.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 92.1 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Jan 15, 2017 at 08:14 AM.
Jan 15, 2017, 07:52 AM
GOT WINGS
Reserved
Jan 16, 2017, 08:23 PM
GOT WINGS
I got in a good flight today and timed it at 17 minutes and 40 seconds. Also tested range at over 500 feet and put over 1900mah back into the battery. More info in post # 1.
Jan 17, 2017, 12:26 AM
new2rc15
Dude, tape your phone on your hat and gimme some footage... And where's your caliper? Digital scale? M.i.t. diploma? I shall report you at once! Love, Germy Mike.
Jan 17, 2017, 07:00 PM
GOT WINGS
I am a cobbler, not a dude. My phone service may be cancelled tomorrow. What caliper do you want, 357 or 9mm? What type of musical instrument uses a digital scale MermyGike?
Jan 17, 2017, 08:38 PM
I like the 2s or 3s option gonna try to pickup a red one
Jan 17, 2017, 09:02 PM
GOT WINGS
Cj, I just saw at GB that they are back up to $114, and earlier some guys who had ordered them at $89 from GB said GB was asking for extra shipping fees, so be careful.
Jan 18, 2017, 12:35 AM
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Cj, I just saw at GB that they are back up to $114, and earlier some guys who had ordered them at $89 from GB said GB was asking for extra shipping fees, so be careful.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Took it out for a night flight this evening. LEDs are very good for night flying, some of the best I've seen on a RTF quad. I flew it out over 400 feet and had very little trouble with orientation.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:45 PM
Love the warning system
Jan 19, 2017, 07:00 PM
GOT WINGS
Are you referring to the weak signal warning or the low battery warning? I haven't flown out far enough to hear the weak signal warning, but for me, it seems like the LVC warning may start too soon.
Jan 21, 2017, 08:37 PM
GOT WINGS
I received the Hubsan H501S props in the mail today. At first look, they are almost exactly like the stock Bugs 3 props, just 1 or 2mm shorter. The pitch appears to be the same. But from the side, you can see that the tips of the 501 props are swept up a bit. I checked the balance of the 501 props as best I could, and they seemed well balanced out of the package.
The quad was a lot noisier and did not fly as well with the Hubsan props on it. It would buck up and down a little in the front and back when trying to hover. And it cut about 4 minutes from the flight time. So the verdict is don't bother with the Hubsan props, they are very disappointing. Pictures:
Name: zzbg3props.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 121.1 KB
Description: Name: zzbg3hubprop.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 61.4 KB
Description:

I put the stock props back on and flew it again, all was back to normal good flight. I flew at night, and this thing has really good LEDs for night flying. I flew out to over 500 feet and still had good orientation because of the lights.
Jan 24, 2017, 10:43 PM
GOT WINGS
After the poorly performing Hubsan props, I finally got to do a couple of tests with the Bugs and the CX-20 8 inch props this afternoon and tonight. It was still windy this afternoon about 4:30 but I did a little hover test in a windbreak, and it did well, no bucking like with the Hubsan props.
Then about 6:30 it was getting dark but the wind had died down, so I flew most of a battery. It flew very well and it seemed like it was even more quiet than with the stock props. I am using 9 inch props on my CX-20 and the CX-35 are the same 8 inch props, so I have several sets of them. Only there are a couple of problems with them. They are DJI style mounts for M6 shafts. So I found a prop adapter that fits in the bottom and then use the end plugs of a Bic pen to make spacers for the top of the hub of the 8 inch props. And there is not a lot of thread left at the top of the prop hub for the nuts, but I am using nylon lock nuts. Any way, they work, just need to see if they cut too much flight time by using a timer.
This is what the Bugs looks like with 8 inch CX-20/35 props on it:
Name: zzbugs3cx20prop.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 74.3 KB
Description:
Jan 25, 2017, 03:50 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Are you referring to the weak signal warning or the low battery warning? I haven't flown out far enough to hear the weak signal warning, but for me, it seems like the LVC warning may start too soon.

LVC does come on a little early. Might be better with high discharge rate batteries, like the Nanotech or Graphene. I usually end up increasing the LVC warning on my brushless quads, when using these batteries, as with default 3.5 volts under load, the warning can come too late for a "planned landing"