Jan 14, 2017, 06:13 PM
Build Fly Crash - Start Again!
Thread OP
Build Log

Building the Shockwave mrittinger's design

The first time I saw this in the MAN mag I thought it was the sexiest plane. Mark Rittinger designed this and his build log is https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-D-G-Shockwave. The shape and colour scheme was amazing. I had to buy the plan. That was last July. I thought I was going to start this three months ago but my daughter decided to get married then Christmas plus I was making great progress on my Harvard build - over in the scratch forum.
But I desperately needed some cutting therapy. A year ago today I had a heart attack and I am kinda stressed at work. Cutting is very therapeutic for me.
So I pulled out the plans purchased from the airagestore amd the wood I had bought four months ago and got started.
First I made copies of the rib and former templates making sure they matched the originals perfectly. Then cut them out with scissors. 3M 75 tack spray was used to adhere the templates to the wood and since the plans call for two of each ribs, two layers of 3/16" sheet were sandwiched together with the same tack glue letting me cut out two ribs at a time.
The ribs were cut by hand then sanded to shape. The spar notches and other attributes will be cut out later.
The formers are cut from two sheets of 1/16" glued together cross grained with gorilla carpenter glue. I tried using my scroll saw to cut out the formers but it was making a mess so I went back to my #11. The 1/4" and 1/8" ply was cut using the scroll saw.
All in all it was a great therapeutic day.
I hope to cut out the rest of the parts by Monday.
We will see if I go back to the Harvard right away or work with this build for a while.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2017, 08:27 AM
It is a great looking plane, and I too love the "cutting" therapy. I will be following this one
Jan 15, 2017, 06:37 PM
Gravity sucks.
Its a fairly complicated and complex build, so if you need any help with anything feel free to ask.
Btw, I transfer plans by putting them face down and rubbing with rag soaked in acetone.
Some printers put down toner that it still works, some dont.

You can vastly simplify the tail arrangement if you had a fixed stab with conventional elevators and split pushrod.
Jan 15, 2017, 06:39 PM
Gravity sucks.
RC Shockwave Reno Racer (4 min 29 sec)

Inspiration
Jan 15, 2017, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebreaker2000
It is a great looking plane, and I too love the "cutting" therapy. I will be following this one
Hey planebreaker, don't let me have all the fun and therapy, what are you working on! I can follow yours.
Jan 15, 2017, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Its a fairly complicated and complex build, so if you need any help with anything feel free to ask.
Btw, I transfer plans by putting them face down and rubbing with rag soaked in acetone.
Some printers put down toner that it still works, some dont.

You can vastly simplify the tail arrangement if you had a fixed stab with conventional elevators and split pushrod.
Mark, I always appreciate the advise! and in my arrogance I sometimes ignore!
I took the plans I bought, marked them up with my handwriting as I was calculating the wood I would need to buy, so any copies can be traced to me! Then went to Staples, they scanned them for me, and I asked for a print out. They use an inkjet printer and didn't print to 100% their results were off and acetone trick doesn't work with inkjet, plus I wanted to keep the originals - well original. I've been studying them since.
Yesterday I printed each former/rib out on my inkjet and they match the original perfectly.

If anyone asks NO I won't give a copy of the file, its copyrighted and as an artist and photographer I won't violate someone else's copyright without their permission!

In my strange way of looking at things your plans are so well drawn that they look incredibly simple. That's a compliment. I also have your build log and the file you sent me. I probably will be calling you out for help so thanks for the offer.

The bell crank design with the moving stab is brilliant - I've already cut the bell crank so I am committed and it makes perfect sense.
I am more concerned about hand launch! I have a pair of mechanical retracts that just might fit!

I also cut out all of the other plywood pieces. Tomorrow I'll cut out as many other parts as possible, sand the edges, clean up my building board, lay down the originals, cover with some thick mil plastic I have leftover from renovations (works way better than wax paper) and glue some pieces together.
I can't ignore the Harvard. Some of your design clicked on the light bulb for me with some areas that I was stumped on (including that a bell crank design) that I am inspired to keep going on it.
I hope to have the Harvard, the Shockwave, and the Midwest 232 cap (just needs hardware and covering) done by April just in time to fly.
doug
Jan 15, 2017, 09:22 PM
Doug,

I am usually a dtfb plane builder and I am too cheap to buy kits or Arfs and every now and then I like to try a balsa build. I am working on a Tweplica 40 sized down to 85%. The plans and a great set of instructions can be found here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...plica-40-build

I am almost ready for covering. As this is only my second plans built scratch plane, I don't think that my skills with balsa are really good enough for a thread.

I am looking forward to this build and await your progress pics.
Nathan
Last edited by planebreaker2000; Jan 15, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Jan 16, 2017, 09:49 AM
Gravity sucks.
The Acetone trick deoends on printer. FedEx kinkos used to work, now it doesnt.
I found a local printer thats $5 cheaper and it does work. Look for local printers and have them print something on 8 x 10 and try it.

The build looks simple but theres a lot going on with round fuse and elliptical wing.

The thrust arrangement is pretty critical, right thrust took some dialing in
Jan 16, 2017, 10:08 AM
I am on board with this article. I am about 75% completed with a 1/12th scale "Conquest 1" Bearcat for our local racing series. ( 2 pole)
I conclude that a 'round fuselage' can be a challenged, but, it is a great learning/skills project.
Shockwave may be in the horizon for myself, but, as with our series, were running glow engines in our Unlimited series. In addition, besides glow, that requirements of a take off and landing is applicable. aka, in need of a landing gear-no retracts though.
Jan 16, 2017, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
The Acetone trick deoends on printer. FedEx kinkos used to work, now it doesnt.
I found a local printer thats $5 cheaper and it does work. Look for local printers and have them print something on 8 x 10 and try it.

The build looks simple but theres a lot going on with round fuse and elliptical wing.

The thrust arrangement is pretty critical, right thrust took some dialing in
Good idea to give them a shot with a small size, then again I should try the copier at work too!
It should be easier than the extra steps that I do.

No kidding there is a lot going on, its not straight forward, using a lot brain power to move things around in my head, reading your blog and article over and over again - putting all three together to create an action plan. I am sure I will have to recut here and there with mistakes.
I just realized last night that the main spars are using spruce, the plans didn't note this, but the article did - also noticed from your photos that the spar and 1/8"ply spar are creating an I-beam. Did you make a groove for the ply spar to fit in or did you just epoxy?

To "dial in" the right thrust was your motor mount adjustable, or did you make multiple versions of the shockwave?
Jan 16, 2017, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE 66
I am on board with this article. I am about 75% completed with a 1/12th scale "Conquest 1" Bearcat for our local racing series. ( 2 pole)
I conclude that a 'round fuselage' can be a challenged, but, it is a great learning/skills project.
Shockwave may be in the horizon for myself, but, as with our series, were running glow engines in our Unlimited series. In addition, besides glow, that requirements of a take off and landing is applicable. aka, in need of a landing gear-no retracts though.
Welcome to the party Race 66.
I agree this will be a great learning/skills project!
Jan 16, 2017, 02:28 PM
Gravity sucks.
Race, with some work you can add gear. It wouldn't need to be too long with a model sized prop...scale gear is from T2 Buckeye.

Onewonders, Youc an have a print shop give you a small print and see if it transfers. If it does, have them do a full sized print.
If you approach the build in steps as the thread does, it shouldn't be to bad. Fuse in top and bottom, wings pretty straightforward.
Thrustline is a nightmare to dial in, due to the front mounted motor. I went front mounted due to the very large spinner to reduce chance of vibration. A lightweight balsa spinner might wor too.I had to play gynocologist and go in from the inner side to remove the motor and add small shims. Then re-assemble. Took some work, but it flies great as shown with numbers on the plans.
Re the spar joiner, I cannot recall , but, I think I just had a slot in the inner ribs for the ply vertical spay to go into....no grooving of the top or bottom spar.
Mark
Jan 16, 2017, 02:39 PM
Mark: I agree on you landing gear comment. In fact the Bearcat I am working on, was never designed for a gear, hand launch, it now has an integrated spruce main wing spar and landing gear. All enclosed within the wing, only the gear is outside the wing. Gotta keep the 'drag' down as much as possible for this 'little' plane.
Jan 16, 2017, 06:00 PM
Thread OP

First Cuttings

The ribs are cut, the formers and anything that is plywood are cut, the notches are complete.
Past notches cut by me were never perfect, not square and rarely snug. Sometimes it was me, but few times it was the 1/4" square stock that wasn't quite right and the markings on the plans weren't 1/4" square. So I needed a solution.
I measured a few of the notches markings and they were darn accurate, so now it was either going to be my skill or the 1/4" stock wouldn't be 1/4".
So I cut a small piece from the 1/4" stock held it up against the notches and held the #11 blade flat against the 1/4" piece and cut carefully. The results were almost perfect. Nice and snug. See photos. Maybe there is a better way, but this worked.
I also lined up the formers against the plans, on my building board, laid down the top stringer and placed the formers into position! Nice the rest of the 1/4" square stringers fit. I haven't glued them yet.
But I can't get ahead of myself, a modified 1/2A nose gear need to be mounted to the ply stab mounted between former 9 and 10 with screws, nuts and thread-lock. I have a huge box of knick knacks from swap meets and father-in-law. I found the 1/2A nose gear after about an hour!
So that's later this week.
Oh and I picked up some 1/8"x3/8" spruce for the wing spars cost me a whopping $3.75.
It's been a great weekend of rehab, cutting is very therapeutic. Saw the cardiologist today and I am good for a few more years! (like 20 at least)
Jan 16, 2017, 06:41 PM
Gravity sucks.
Nice work. Glad to hear everything lines up. Its one reason I dont sell plans until I build one.

Quick Reply