How to attach finger skirt to RC hovercraft? - RC Groups
Jan 13, 2017, 11:39 PM
Question

How to attach finger skirt to RC hovercraft?

I have an idea on how to make the segment's, as I have experience with full size hovercraft. But I'm not entirely certain on how to attach the segments to a radio-controlled hovercraft. I'm thinking of using screen spline and channel to secure the tops of the bags, but

what do you all do to connect the bottom of a convoluted skirt to the hull?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2017, 02:03 PM
When in doubt throttle out
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to build the fingers, i've successfully build an RC hover craft about three times now but, my current bag design allows the hovercraft to take flight and flip over at high speeds.

would love to collaborate with you!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYoljjzj...by=zestyzsauce
Oct 03, 2017, 02:18 PM
found this today! going to try it

http://www.model-hovercraft.com/trou...ubleskirt.html
Oct 03, 2017, 06:51 PM
Between life and heli's, I shelved the project. I still have all the bits and pieces on hand.

Do you sew? or own a machine? I do, but was put off at how tedious it seems to have to do. I built a hot wire cutter with the intention of seam welding ripstop nylon but wasn't satisfied with the strength of the joint. I feel like it would be better to use a really lightweight thread and just machine sew them.

I once owned a Scat I hovercraft; 6'wide and 8'long with a rotax 277 motor. I was kind of obsessed for a while. I have a book called "Light Hovercraft Design" that outlines just about everything you would need to know or calculate to build a 1-8 person hovercraft, including the most popular method for making convoluted skirts...I'll see if I can dig it up and post a pic
Oct 04, 2017, 10:09 AM
Thanks, yeah I'm sorta in the same boat and honestly alot of my focus is on mini drones but there is something about a good working hoverboard that thrilling... Most of the hoverboard I've seen on youtube are not very fast moving, the one I've built with some stupid a$$ bag works really well and is very fast "too fast" what i want to achieve is to still move forward really fast without the front of the hoverboard to take flight. It could very well be that I just need to add more nose weight but I feel like its only taking flight because of so much downward thrust right in the middle of the aircraft.

on a side note; yesterday was my first over water test. Even though it somewhat worked, the back of my current bag design started to scoop water, this makes me want to figure out finger skirt even more!

Thanks for the reply!

-Z
Oct 04, 2017, 10:11 AM
PS I do have a sewing machine but it needs some work and since it's from the early 50's i'm not sure if I can find the parts!

--Z