Apr 21, 2017, 12:42 AM
Quad Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoz07
Oscar Liang's article says he hid it inside the plastic frame. How would one do that?
Very carefully down the arms I guess, but I wouldn't expect great signal strength doing it.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamtfc
I did drop all P by 20% and D by the same amount. I'm pretty sure it's the rubbing on the frame causing the issues, I'm just going to have to re-mount it like you suggested.
I'm not sure what the relevance of dropping PIDs by 20% has. The nature of vibration levels to power I don't think is linear. But if if I think that way, then having 33% more cells might mean 33% reduction in PIDs makes more sense? But TBH, I think the quad is always talking to you in flight and telling you what it wants, you just have to listen and give it what it needs. If 20% didn't help then give it more, when you reach the number it wants it will let you know.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that there are really only 2 things that will cause vibration on a quad... the motors and the props. The only 2 moving parts. It could also be that the type of plastic the frame is made out of transmits vibration faster or stronger than other materials like carbon fiber. There has been a lot of talk in the Betaflight thread about the effectiveness of soft motor mounts as a way to reduce overall vibration. I wonder if this might help reduce vibration before it even gets to the FC on the BH. I might have to design some mounts and 3D print them from some TPU material to try that out. Reducing vibration at the source seems to make more sense than trying to dampen it out at the FC. It might also be interesting to see how balanced the props are. I haven't checked them so I don't really know. But it would be interesting if someone has an accurate prop balancer to give a quick check. It could be that prop balance from the factory is inconsistent and that's why some are experiencing issues and others not. Since these are props with a proprietary bolt pattern we can't just slap on a set of other "known good" props.

One thing that's certain, if the quad had no vibration, it wouldn't matter how the FC was mounted right?
Apr 21, 2017, 07:46 AM
Quad Enthusiast
The frame definitely transmits vibrations more than carbon fiber, it's pretty flexy. I wish I could balance these props or at least check the balance on them, but my balancers aren't able to do these tiny little props. I think I may be able to rig something together though.. also the flight controller being a 6500 really doesn't help. If only they put a 6000 in it..
Apr 21, 2017, 07:48 AM
My fpv flight is at the end
Emax Babyhawk (8 min 20 sec)
Last edited by canino; Apr 21, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 09:39 AM
I much prefer racing to acro flying, but with this little fellow, it's hard not to want to do a few flippity flips here and there. Got my pids dialed in for racing and it's pretty solid, especially for such a small lightweight design. PIDs neeing lowering for me, even with the 2S 300 mah 35C nanotechs.

I haven't done the Dshot signal re-route yet, just been flying multishot unsynced at 32Khz with a modest 4Khz loop. This feels better to me than running at 8khz on such a tiny frame where physics are always a limiting factor anyways. Got my roll/pitch at 35 and my kd at 20. Also min_check=1015 and my gyro notch filters are removed and d lowpass set to PT1. Edited to say I also switched my anti_gravity_gain=1 (3.1.7)

Emax Babyhawk acro fun (2 min 2 sec)
Last edited by madcrafted78; Apr 21, 2017 at 09:46 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 03:50 PM
After about 30 packs or so I had my first issue with the BabyHawk. Not long after a good tumble in a tree, I was flying and banking a turn, and the BH dropped out of the sky (only about 5 feet up). I tried to arm and one of the motors was stuttering. I suspected a problem with the ESC as I also heard it try to reinitialize. Took the props and cover off and I found one of the motor wires had broken off.

Easy fix! I was impressed how easy it was to lift the ESC up and fix the joint. You definitely will need a small tip and a pair of tweezers for this job. Pics below.

Edit: I also needed to recalibrate the ESC's in betaflight.
Last edited by techyg; Apr 21, 2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: More Info
Apr 21, 2017, 03:53 PM
Your #1 Source for Quality FPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b
You seem to be a man in the know is there any means to access all the vtx channels it lists as 40 but non of my usual ones are available on it.
Hello! Here is the post on how to unlock the vtx to gain the remaining locked-out channels.

Simply hold down the vtx button while powering up. This will unlock your transmitter to transmit boscam E and other channels. Please use at your own risk in designated safe/legal zones.

EMAX
Apr 21, 2017, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAX Yin Yan
Hello! Here is the post on how to unlock the vtx to gain the remaining locked-out channels.

Simply hold down the vtx button while powering up. This will unlock your transmitter to transmit boscam E and other channels. Please use at your own risk in designated safe/legal zones.

EMAX
Thanks for posting this! I verified this works and now I have all my favorite channels available. I understand why Emax did this, but just glad there is an easy way to enable all 40 channels.
Apr 21, 2017, 07:58 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
@EMAX Yin Yan: My stock camera got beat up. I have another good camera with a bad VTx. I was going to try and connect the stock VTx to the other camera I have. Do you have the pinouts for the stock VTx between the VTx and the camera?

Thanks
Latest blog entry: Having Fun!!!
Apr 22, 2017, 02:15 AM
A 3D printed adjustable camera pod would be cool. Straight and level for flying indoors, more tilt for ripping outside.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Apr 22, 2017, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoz07
A 3D printed adjustable camera pod would be cool. Straight and level for flying indoors, more tilt for ripping outside.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Yes please great idea and the same for a swift micro camera then a great package hopefully they will do it,Marty.
Last edited by NEAGRON; Apr 22, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
Apr 22, 2017, 02:46 AM
So what the verdict, you more experienced guys?
I have the babyhawk, i like it alot. My only concern is the fc placement. Which is fixable with diy and something inherent to this hobby i've learned.
I only have the kk90gt and x73s as brushless ones to compare it to. I have more experience with brushed builds.

But i hear some folks praise other models more in this category, especially the arfun 90.
Apr 22, 2017, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canino
So what the verdict, you more experienced guys?
I have the babyhawk, i like it alot. My only concern is the fc placement. Which is fixable with diy and something inherent to this hobby i've learned.
I only have the kk90gt and x73s as brushless ones to compare it to. I have more experience with brushed builds.

But i hear some folks praise other models more in this category, especially the arfun 90.
If you compare the kk90gt, x73s and babyhawk, which one you pick?
Apr 22, 2017, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy11976
If you compare the kk90gt, x73s and babyhawk, which one you pick?
Atm its the kk90gt as its what i am used to and less intimidating. I fly alot indoors aswell.
The babyhawk has more power and more for outside or bigger space.

I see the kk90gt as a transtion to brushless quads.
And the babyhawk as the transition to more aggressive flying in brushless ones.
(Does that make any sense? )
Apr 22, 2017, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canino
Atm its the kk90gt as its what i am used to and less intimidating. I fly alot indoors aswell.
The babyhawk has more power and more for outside or bigger space.

I see the kk90gt as a transtion to brushless quads.
And the babyhawk as the transition to more aggressive flying in brushless ones.
(Does that make any sense? )
The BH can be as aggressive or docile as you want it to be. It can fly like a big tiny whoop if that's what you want for indoors, and at the flip of a switch can be a demon outside. It's all about programming it to fly like you want it to fly. A couple pages back I posted how to have 2 flying profiles on a switch, 1 for flying very controllable indoors and 1 for aggressive flying outside. It's up to you how you want it to fly by the way you set it up. The BH is very flexible in it's setup. It has a full F3 processor and betaflight that can tailor anything you want. So make it fly like you want and don't settle for how it came out of the box.

That's how I have mine setup. I can't imagine flying full rates and power inside, so I have a Baby mode for indoors and a Hawk mode for outdoors. I switch between modes with a switch. And it took about 10 minutes to set it up that way.

Go back and read the post and if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Quick Reply