Apr 04, 2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo95
I can send you mine when I get home from work if you need them.

Were you able to enable DShot?
Thanks, yes I would like a screenie of the unaltered PIDs for the Babyhawk. My BH is flying great, but want to see what the original PID settings were just for reference to see if I'm missing something obvious.

DShot will be my next project. It doesn't look too hard, but the signal wire from motor four will need to be moved from it's current location to the LED rx pin and remapped in betaflight. You will need to be on betaflight 3.1.x to do this since resource remapping was a new feature for 3.1.x.

The new resource command makes this possible allowing us to customize the resource allocation for just about anything you need. Not sure why this is even an issue for this Femto FC, but it is and this has to be done to get motor 4 working under DShot. Here is the Github page to describe the remapping process in betaflight

https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...e-Command-(3.1)

I'm currently using multishot at 32k with motor PWM speed separated from PID speed turned on.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2017, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone13
Thanks, yes I would like a screenie of the unaltered PIDs for the Babyhawk. My BH is flying great, but want to see what the original PID settings were just for reference to see if I'm missing something obvious.

DShot will be my next project. It doesn't look too hard, but the signal wire from motor four will need to be moved from it's current location to the LED rx pin and remapped in betaflight. You will need to be on betaflight 3.1.x to do this since resource remapping was a new feature for 3.1.x.

The new resource command makes this possible allowing us to customize the resource allocation for just about anything you need. Not sure why this is even an issue for this Femto FC, but it is and this has to be done to get motor 4 working under DShot. Here is the Github page to describe the remapping process in betaflight

I'm currently using multishot at 32k with motor PWM speed separated from PID speed turned on.
Nice! Thanks for that info....

I'll get you a screenie if you haven't by the time I get home. Around 6pm EST..
Apr 04, 2017, 01:38 PM

Requesting a scan of the owner manual please!

Hi Folks. This is a big THANK YOU to the owners of the Babyhawk who are giving us all these welcome early reviews, tips and pictures !

I have a request though, could someone please attach a scan of the owner manual if possible?

Thanks!
Apr 04, 2017, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalturbo
Hi Folks. This is a big THANK YOU to the owners of the Babyhawk who are giving us all these welcome early reviews, tps and pictures !

I have a request though, could someone please attach a scan of the owner manual if possible?

Thanks!
I can do that too when I get home. It's only useful for how to configure the VTX...
Apr 04, 2017, 01:52 PM
Quote:
I can do that too when I get home. It's only useful for how to configure the VTX...
Speaking of VTX, what's the deal with the channel selection on the Babyhawk. Is it really only like 20-something channels or am I just missing something? The manual shows the 4 bands but only certain channels within each band are actually supported.

Is it something like the TBS unify where it only supports "legal" bands out of the box and you have to perform some type of button combination to unlock it?
Apr 04, 2017, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkcizur
Speaking of VTX, what's the deal with the channel selection on the Babyhawk. Is it really only like 20-something channels or am I just missing something? The manual shows the 4 bands but only certain channels within each band are actually supported.

Is it something like the TBS unify where it only supports "legal" bands out of the box and you have to perform some type of button combination to unlock it?
Yeah good question. I noticed that too.. No freqs in the 5600 or 5900 ranges.... Kinda lame... But after all, it is $100 lol.

Seriously though.... Would be cool if you could unlock it...
Apr 04, 2017, 04:31 PM
Just received mine last night but still haven't been able to fly. I initially thought about going the XSR route so I could have telemetry but decided to go with the XM+ receiver instead.

Really good fit and finish and the quality of the motors is awesome; can't wait to get into the air. Also looking forward to getting one of their power packs with the Board, ESC, and Motors to build another small quad like an Airblade Creampuff or something similar.

Emax is killing it right now.
Apr 04, 2017, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Can I get someone to post a screenshot of the original PID screen of the Babyhawk? I did a diff command and copy past to a txt document before I upgraded to betaflight 3.1.6 during initial setup, but somehow I didn't get the PIDs copied correctly and haven't been able to find the original PID settings. I'd like to see them for reference to see how they differ from stock betaflight PIDs.
Sorry it took so long man! Here you go.

Apr 04, 2017, 07:10 PM
Quote:

What would be the benefit of configuring Dshot for this model?

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Tapatalk
Apr 04, 2017, 07:27 PM
can anyone send me snap shots of their Modes and Configuration tabs in Betaflight? Trying to figure out what to config the modes to
Apr 04, 2017, 07:30 PM
Quote:
I have a DSMX sat hooked up and it was not an issue. Works fine. The diagram you linked is correct for the physical hookup, so if you follow that you should be wired right. As far as binding, either bind to a full size rx (plug in the sat as a sat on the rx and it will bind with the main rx) then disconnect the sat and connect to the babyhawk. Or use the CLI in betaflight and use the command set spektrum_sat_bind=9 to bind the sat while its connected to the babyhawk. There are youtube videos showing how to do that. Just do a quick youtube search.

After binding, in the betaflight software ports tab set UART3 to serial RX. Then in the Configuration tab set the receiver mode to serial based receiver and provider to Spektrum2048. Don't forget to save each tab page after making changes before moving on to the next tab page.

Finally, in the Receiver tab set the channel map to TAER1234 for the channel map.

That should get it working for you. If it doesn't work, let us know what step you couldn't get working right. The most common difficulty seems to be getting the bind process done, and if you don't get that right nothing else matters. BTW, the USB power alone will power the sat receiver and let you configure betaflight and see the stick movements in the receiver tab and see the switch movement in the modes tab. But you will need to plug in a battery to do the sat bind procedure if you do the CLI procedure.

Let us know how it goes for you.
I got it to work! I had everything setup right but I removed the pins from the satillite and I forgot that the pins on the go pos, neg, and then signal and not what is pictured on the diagram. Things like this usually end up being something simple.
Apr 04, 2017, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Sorry it took so long man! Here you go.

Thanks TT95! Very similar to stock PIDs except for roll and pitch D, rc rate, and super rate. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Apr 04, 2017, 07:42 PM
In case someone has never installed a Sat rx on the Emax Femto here is a Good video of the steps to install it on the Babyhawk.

How to install a satellite receiver on the EMAX Babyhawk (4 min 48 sec)
Apr 04, 2017, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiaumun
What would be the benefit of configuring Dshot for this model?

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Tapatalk
Maybe not much in flight, maybe a bit smoother. Just have to try to find out I guess. DShot uses a pure digital signal which means no aliasing of the signal like PWM and no calibration needed. 1000-2000 throttle signal is always just that without having to calibrate to get exactly that like with PWM protocols.

It's a better signaling protocol, but how much better flight performance it gives is hard to define. If the PWM signal is prone to noise DShot would be a lot better. If the the PWM signal was very clean, probably not much difference in flight.
Apr 04, 2017, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westers47
I got it to work! I had everything setup right but I removed the pins from the satillite and I forgot that the pins on the go pos, neg, and then signal and not what is pictured on the diagram. Things like this usually end up being something simple.
Glad you got it working. It's the little details that will bite you in the butt, and I've got the teeth marks to prove it

Quick Reply