FLY FishTower Flytower F4 Flight Controller 25/200/400mW VTX OSD Dshot 40A 4in1 ESC - Page 3 - RC Groups
Mar 18, 2017, 09:21 AM
.....and that's why I crashed
Are you guys getting the death rolls using dshot? If so, it could be worthwhile trying one of the analog protocols instead.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 05:06 PM
I have tried different protocols,demag,startup power,older blheli version,extrem low pids...etc

After arming(airmode) escs getting hot and shut down after 30sec-2min. But current amp is normal.
I think its a hardware failure !
Mar 18, 2017, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiernippel
I have tried different protocols,demag,startup power,older blheli version,extrem low pids...etc

After arming(airmode) escs getting hot and shut down after 30sec-2min. But current amp is normal.
That sucks...looks like it is the same problem being shown on Youtube. I have one coming in the mail...not happy.
Mar 20, 2017, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusby
Are you guys getting the death rolls using dshot? If so, it could be worthwhile trying one of the analog protocols instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiernippel

Maybe have a look at this Betaflight 3.1 D-shot article for a few clues;

https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...T-ESC-Protocol

After reading this I came to the conclusion that I will be safer to just use Oneshot125 to start off with.
Mar 20, 2017, 08:25 PM
Those with deathrolls on dshot. What is your min throttle % setting? Betaflight defaults to a pretty low value. I made mine 7% to be conservative, and plan to lower it a bit at a time. I'm running at 8/8 and dshot 600 with no problems at all.
Mar 20, 2017, 11:37 PM

Problem with F3 fc/vtx/osd board

I got a Flytower F3 unit in earlier this week (from Aliexpress) and installed this on a 220 Martian II racer. I followed the manual for setting this up with Betaflight and all worked well.

The first problem I had was trying to select the lowest vtx power level. I managed to finally understand the chinesey translation and found that you need to double click the vtx button. Then all the rear green band lights come on and the front red lights indicate which power level you are at. One light for 25mw, 2 for 200mw and 3 for 400mw. You double click the vtx button to move between these power levels.

I hooked up my ImmersionRC power meter (with a rp-sma adapter) to check out the power levels and found that these were much higher than the 25/200/400mw expected. They were more like ~150/300/600mw. Also, after restarting everything the following morning I found that the power went back up to max (~600mw). This is really bad new for me because I intended to race this quad this weekend and we have a max 25mw requirement.

The second problem I had was that the vtx button was recessed a bit and was very hard to use ( the button itself was also pretty sticky). I used the eraser end of a pencil to press it and this seemed to work ok although it was still a little hit and miss. The final nail in the coffin was that after multiple presses to get the right band/channel this button broke off the board.

So now I will need to get a replacement F3 top board (if they ever come in stock) or maybe try replacing it with a replacement F4 top board (which are in stock). The pinouts from the F3 pdb look the same so this should work, albeit that the esc ratings are a little lower (30a vs 40a). I ordered a Flytower F4 tower unit from BG last week so I should get it soon. I'll see what the vtx power levels look like and report back. Anyone with a F4 top board that has measured the vtx power levels?

Honestly, I don't know why I continue to buy these latest/greatest bits so early instead of waiting for new, improved versions, lol!
Mar 21, 2017, 01:07 AM
Errr. That sucks TomC. I can tell you that you have pretty much summed up the way I feel about the single button to control all VTX functionality. The F4 version uses the same double click method for cycling power level. In a fully built quad, access to the button isn't great, making it more painful. As soon as I had mine all together, it was quite obvious this one would be a little painful to deal with when flying with other people.

I haven't verified that it always goes back to full power, but will have a look at that this week.
Mar 21, 2017, 01:38 PM
Picture is terrible for me anyone else?
Mar 21, 2017, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusby
Be good if the Vtx could be set through betaflight!

Note that you have linked to the ESC board for the Flytower F3 with the 30A ESC's, not the 40A ESC's that go with the F4.

Interestingly there is a Flyfish F4 on banggood that looks almost identical, this one clearly states Vtx adjustment through betaflight is possible. It looks to have an additional UART port too.

http://www.banggood.com/F4-Tower-Fli...ft-viewhistory
Ya that Fly Fish looks great. The manual shows how to do vtx settings via the osd.

Has anyone tried flashing FishdroneF4 firmware onto the Flytower F4?

I'm pretty sure that both units are made by EXUAV.
Mar 22, 2017, 12:37 AM
Has to be made by them. How many companies would consider combining gold, red, and purple hardware? Lol.
Mar 22, 2017, 08:50 AM
"A sad thing Dshot firmware now have some bug if FC use dshot and ESC use more 16.5 maybe some time some motor will stop or runing some time and stop"

From the developer...
Mar 22, 2017, 09:04 AM
Installed mine on a Chameleon, all set just waiting for motors. It turns out the led not working, although buzzer does work. Its using the connector below the sbus/pwm connector. Now I am going to trying to get the led data in feed directly from rx pwm5 pin (like in Omnibus F4) unfortunately not sure from where i can get it.... anyone tried this board with buzzer and led connected?

EDIT: BTW, i am using this combo matek led board that has buzzer on it. Been using it in several other build and it works fine. At first i thought there is not enough 5v volt came out from the connector, but there is when i checked. Oh an another one: somehow buzzer is working with only B- connected... strange.
Last edited by asae; Mar 22, 2017 at 09:09 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 09:10 AM
.....and that's why I crashed
I couldn't get the buzzer to work on mine. Also the polarity on the led/buzzer port was the opposite to that in the manual. Thank god for the ESC beacon settings in BL heli, otherwise I may still be out there looking for my Kraken. Wish you could activate the beacon on a switch like Kiss with Dshot.
Mar 22, 2017, 09:27 AM
on mine the polarity is correct. I suspect maybe it has some issue like with Omnibus F4 where somehow Betaflight change the led location rendering the led data pin on the board not working - thus has to get directly from rx pwm5 signal pin/port. unfortunately i can't fine this pin visible in this board... tried to downgrade to 3.1.5, 1.3, up to 3.10 same thing.

EDIT: to ensure that it isn't the board that is damaged, so i tested with another new one (i bought 2). Same result.
Last edited by asae; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM.
Mar 23, 2017, 12:59 AM
asae, I believe you're right. At least I would guess you are, since I had to do the same with my Omnibus boards. I believe pwm6 on Omnibus is led in current betaflight builds.