Derestricting CellPro 8 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 04, 2017, 08:13 AM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick
Not a cheap option, but if you need high/long discharge analysis, you may want to look into a CBA and amplifier from West Mtn Radio. I don't mean to plug someone elses product in this thread, but it's an option in case the work around doest fit the need.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/cba.php
Yes, Greg, I like West Mountain Radio products and the CBA IV looks like a great analyser.

But the cost of the 550W amplifier @ $929.00 USD just makes my eyes glaze over. I don't doubt it's quality and capability though.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vimy g eaou
the cost of the 550W amplifier @ $929.00 USD just makes my eyes glaze over.
So, we had similar reactions :-) I did get to use one for some testing and it's quite a device, but it's hard for a hobbyist to justify something like that.
Mar 05, 2017, 10:31 AM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick
So, we had similar reactions :-) I did get to use one for some testing and it's quite a device, but it's hard for a hobbyist to justify something like that.
I first saw the basic CBA 3 in use on Youtube as a safe way to drain a puffed battery before disposal.

The main point was you could see via the graphical interface that the battery was completely drained and safe to handle.

This was in comparison to other less definite methods such as heavily salted water, where even after several days, there was still residual current left in the cells and therefore still prone to flaring up if punctured.

Is there any definitive proof that a puffed battery is inherently unsafe and needs to be disposed of, despite it seemingly working OK?

I have looked around for an answer, but I may have missed it.
Mar 05, 2017, 10:40 AM
I'll confess to using a couple batteries after they puffed, but they weren't huge either. I asked a battery engineer about using puffed batteries and he told me their policy is to never use them once they've puffed. He said they generally puff " typically gassing due to cells getting too hot or too much moisture in the cell at time of processing. Thus the factory is not dry enough"

I know nobody is going to say it's okay to use them even if they seem to test okay because they'd suffer liability issues. I found the comment interesting about a factory not being dry enough and the humidity causing the issue in some cases.