Jan 13, 2017, 03:06 AM
Discussion

Derestricting CellPro 8

Hi,

Is there *any* way to either increase the charge timeout beyond 8 hours or increase the charge current for a LiPo preset? I have 130Ah banks of LiPo 18650s (all the cells are connected in parallel) whose capacity I need to test and it is flippin' tiresome having to restart the PL8 after 8 hours and then have to mess around with disconnected graph files.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a battery tester with the same (or better) functionality as the PL8, ideally with as high internal discharge capability as charge (~1300W or more) and battery thermal detection/protection but which does not treat you like a 6 year old?

Regards, Martin Winlow
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2017, 10:48 AM
I have similar issues with many of the daft imposed limits. But it seems that they know best. Been waiting 26 months for about 12 or 14 such fixes. So don't hold your breath. But it does allow 84 hours (4 days) I think on discharge anyway.
Jan 13, 2017, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
Hi,

Is there *any* way to either increase the charge timeout beyond 8 hours or increase the charge current for a LiPo preset? I have 130Ah banks of LiPo 18650s (all the cells are connected in parallel) whose capacity I need to test and it is flippin' tiresome having to restart the PL8 after 8 hours and then have to mess around with disconnected graph files.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a battery tester with the same (or better) functionality as the PL8, ideally with as high internal discharge capability as charge (~1300W or more) and battery thermal detection/protection but which does not treat you like a 6 year old?

Regards, Martin Winlow
It sounds like you are a fairly advanced user, at least 6 years of age ;^), so ill offer an advanced workaround ...

Use a resistive load across the power supply feeding your charger which can absorb the discharge power of a regenerative discharge.

Setup:

1. Setup your Powerlab power source as if it were attached to a battery and enable regenerative discharge. Set the regen max volts limit to something just slightly higher than your power supply voltage.

2. Come up with a basic resistive load (incandescent lights, heat lamps, hair dryer, etc.) that consumes whatever amount of power you want to discharge at. For example, if you have a 24v supply, and string together lights that draw 20A, then you have a 480w resistive load.

Usage:

When you want to do a discharge ...

1. Power everything up and select that regen-enabled power source in your powerlab.

2. Attach the resistive load across your power supply - this will immediately load your power supply by X number of amps and watts.

3. Start your regenerative discharge.

As the discharge amps ramp up, the load on your power supply will go down - the powerlab is now feeding the resistive load, not your power supply.

Once the discharge completes, remove the resistive load - and let your power supply breath a sigh of relief.

I have a modified hair dryer that pulls 30A at 24v so it gives me about 750w of discharge power. My bumpcharger.com case with the manual supply switch lets me just plugin the resistive load to an EC5 and switch the load on/off as needed.

This will allow you to perform a discharge up to the max 40A regenerative discharge of the Powerlab (also limited by the amps of your power supply and resistive load).

With this method, you'll be able to complete your operation well within the 8 hour timeout.

NOTE: If you accidentally run a regen discharge which is larger than your resistive load, the powerlab will simply switch over to internal discharge because the input voltage will start to rise and exceed the max volts that you specified.
Jan 14, 2017, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
It sounds like you are a fairly advanced user, at least 6 years of age ;^), so ill offer an advanced workaround ...

Use a resistive load across the power supply feeding your charger which can absorb the discharge power of a regenerative discharge.

Setup:

1. Setup your Powerlab power source as if it were attached to a battery and enable regenerative discharge. Set the regen max volts limit to something just slightly higher than your power supply voltage.

2. Come up with a basic resistive load (incandescent lights, heat lamps, hair dryer, etc.) that consumes whatever amount of power you want to discharge at. For example, if you have a 24v supply, and string together lights that draw 20A, then you have a 480w resistive load.

Usage:

When you want to do a discharge ...

1. Power everything up and select that regen-enabled power source in your powerlab.

2. Attach the resistive load across your power supply - this will immediately load your power supply by X number of amps and watts.

3. Start your regenerative discharge.

As the discharge amps ramp up, the load on your power supply will go down - the powerlab is now feeding the resistive load, not your power supply.

Once the discharge completes, remove the resistive load - and let your power supply breath a sigh of relief.

I have a modified hair dryer that pulls 30A at 24v so it gives me about 750w of discharge power. My bumpcharger.com case with the manual supply switch lets me just plugin the resistive load to an EC5 and switch the load on/off as needed.

This will allow you to perform a discharge up to the max 40A regenerative discharge of the Powerlab (also limited by the amps of your power supply and resistive load).

With this method, you'll be able to complete your operation well within the 8 hour timeout.

NOTE: If you accidentally run a regen discharge which is larger than your resistive load, the powerlab will simply switch over to internal discharge because the input voltage will start to rise and exceed the max volts that you specified.

Wow, I didn't know power labs did this. I though they only did this regenerative discharge into batteries. I been thinking of moving to icharger because of this ( My son has already moved to icharger to get the high discharge without big batteries ) . We need to start a thread on how to do this or is there already one? Can somebody draw a diagram or post pictures on how this is done. Can you do this with the bump charger? I' am old and feeble with shaky hands,poor eye sight and dementia is not to far away. Please help.
Thanks Leon
Jan 14, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddaddy View Post
Wow, I didn't know power labs did this. I though they only did this regenerative discharge into batteries. I been thinking of moving to icharger because of this ( My son has already moved to icharger to get the high discharge without big batteries ) . We need to start a thread on how to do this or is there already one? Can somebody draw a diagram or post pictures on how this is done. Can you do this with the bump charger? I' am old and feeble with shaky hands,poor eye sight and dementia is not to far away. Please help.
Thanks Leon
I've posted this info a couple times, but havent done any formal writeup .... its on my todo list.
Ask specific questions or propose your design and i can review it.

The other nice thing about this approch is that it doesnt tie up one of the charger channels like icharger - you can use both chargers - even max 40A current on both chargers if your PS and resistive load can both handle that.
Jan 15, 2017, 08:39 AM
Quote:
I've posted this info a couple times, but havent done any formal writeup .... its on my todo list.
Ask specific questions or propose your design and i can review it.

The other nice thing about this approch is that it doesnt tie up one of the charger channels like icharger - you can use both chargers - even max 40A current on both chargers if your PS and resistive load can both handle that.

Thanks for your response. I will figure out a resistive load and ask questions later.
Jan 17, 2017, 08:27 AM
Hi RevoKelly,

Thanks for your input. As I see it, this will certainly speed things up but I'll lose all that energy and, as I have potentially *hundreds* of these things to test and each one costing about 0.10 to charge, it is going to start to get a bit expensive and, anyway, I'd much rather simply not waste the energy. The PL8 has all the fictionality I need, it just needs its silly time limits expanding a bit.

Anyway, if I do use your idea, please expand on what you mean by 'Use a resistive load across the power supply feeding your charger...'. By 'across' do you mean 'in parallel with'? Won't it just chew up power from the supply? I have obviously misunderstood. Perhaps a wee diagram would help me (and others)?

Also, is there *really* nothing better in the whole wide world than a CellPro PL8 - maybe a commercial device?

Regards, Martin.
Jan 17, 2017, 08:29 AM
And how the blazes do you change your account settings on this forum? Emails are going to an old address... MW
Jan 17, 2017, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
Hi RevoKelly,

Thanks for your input. As I see it, this will certainly speed things up but I'll lose all that energy and, as I have potentially *hundreds* of these things to test and each one costing about 0.10 to charge, it is going to start to get a bit expensive and, anyway, I'd much rather simply not waste the energy. The PL8 has all the fictionality I need, it just needs its silly time limits expanding a bit.

Anyway, if I do use your idea, please expand on what you mean by 'Use a resistive load across the power supply feeding your charger...'. By 'across' do you mean 'in parallel with'? Won't it just chew up power from the supply? I have obviously misunderstood. Perhaps a wee diagram would help me (and others)?

Also, is there *really* nothing better in the whole wide world than a CellPro PL8 - maybe a commercial device?

Regards, Martin.
Yes, i mean applying the resistive load in parallel with the charger, and yes it will waste energy whenever a regen discharge is not running. The idea is to connect the load, start the regen discharge, and then disconnect the resistive load when it completes. If you need something fully automated (no need to manually throw an on/off switch at begin and end of discharge ), then this may not work for you.
We have some other options under development for Powerlabs, but its too early to discuss those at this point - we will post more info here when we can.
Jan 23, 2017, 09:14 PM
It wastes power only for a few secs while the charger gets going. I doubt you could measure it with a domestic utility meter.

I know this works as I have been doing the same basic thing with 72 and 120Ah LiFePO4 packs for several years.

My load is an old kiln element. But you could just use 10 halogen 100w spot lamp bulbs.
Use silicone wire! They will get rather hot.

If each is switchable or a group, into circuit with a simple rocker switch you can use lower levels of discharge too. Power supply set to 25V on mine. I am discharging at an average of about 30A into it. Power supply set a little lower than target.

If you use 100w halogens each is good for about 4 to 4.5 Amps. So you can switch more in to discharge faster. And it doesn't make a noise. 40A is doable with all on if you use 10. And you have a kw of light too...
Jan 23, 2017, 11:00 PM
On second thoughts don't waste your time, just get one of these!

5 inches x 6 inches x 4 inches and discharge at 1000 watts or so...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322390413900
Last edited by JohnWilliamson; Jan 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Forgot link...
Jan 24, 2017, 04:19 AM
Delete repeated post!
Feb 01, 2017, 02:20 PM
Not a cheap option, but if you need high/long discharge analysis, you may want to look into a CBA and amplifier from West Mtn Radio. I don't mean to plug someone elses product in this thread, but it's an option in case the work around doest fit the need.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/cba.php
Feb 04, 2017, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Yes, i mean applying the resistive load in parallel with the charger, and yes it will waste energy whenever a regen discharge is not running. The idea is to connect the load, start the regen discharge, and then disconnect the resistive load when it completes. If you need something fully automated (no need to manually throw an on/off switch at begin and end of discharge ), then this may not work for you.
We have some other options under development for Powerlabs, but its too early to discuss those at this point - we will post more info here when we can.
Alright! Now we may be making some progress.
I would sell my GT chargers immediately if this mystery contraption only worked with Powerlabs.
Must have.
Feb 05, 2017, 05:48 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3223904139...D1163626973401

And powerlab 8 is the same thing!