This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 12, 2017, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

web vs. native programming

There was a lot of hype about hybrid apps in 2014. Based on the internet, the verdict is there's absolutely no advantage to either method. The lion kingdom's experience:

GUI & speed requirements ended up beyond what the standard hybrid libraries could do without major effort. The browser incompatibilities & replicated effort when trying to optimize the interface for each phone were just as bad as native.

4 months of work on a webview implementation yielded nothing, with so much expertise being required in web development to achieve minimal results that the IOS & Android developers ended up going back to other tasks on their own platforms until another developer could be hired for the hybrid part.

It ended up requiring more people than if the hybrid part was done natively.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2017, 12:24 AM
I always enjoy your posts even though most are over my head. I just bought an Amazon Echo Dot 2 (about 50 bucks) and have even built a couple of skills with Lambda, AWS and Python. There seems to be a lot of problems for people with the unit disconnecting from wifi, playing only partial messages and having to be rebooted and no one seems to know why. This might be an interesting project for you. I don't know how you would monitor the traffic in and out of the Dot to see what is happening but something seems to be happening. It isn't very reliable hardware. Just a thought.

Quick Reply