Jan 12, 2017, 05:50 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Discussion

Light Up My Life! Let's Talk Budget Pit Lights.

If you're reading this, then you obviously have an interest in micro RC. That being said, you probably do some tinkering, and soldering on some pretty small components. Pit light options range in price from $6 USB units all the way up to $100+ RC branded units operating off of varying input voltages.

I recently purchased one of these on evilbay strictly for my desk. I am however still shopping for something more compact, that I can fit in one of my travel cases for use on the go. Our group regularly ends up doing some tweaking and wrenching in one persons garage or another, so something that can be recharged, or powered via USB would be ideal.

Let's talk about what you use, and what you feel are the benefits to your particular lighting set up. Whether it's in your shop, on your desk, or your portable lighting solution, I want to hear about it. The more options the better.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2017, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
i have 3 light units.. I have a usb light for use on a laptop..great runs from a usb.. 5v..nice its led.. I also have a 12v light that plugs into my 12v bank from my power supply.. then i have 115v.. florescent light..nice and bright.. but not as movable as my 12v that uses a 1157 bulb..
Jan 12, 2017, 09:52 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
This is the pit light I use most of the time. It's LED and runs on 4 AA batteries. Has to brightness levels. It's sold as a music stand light but works well for RC work too. I also have a battery powered OTT light which is nice but the built in charger doesn't work so I have to charge it with my auto battery charger. The OTT is bigger and a little more stable but not as convenient as the music stand light.
Jan 13, 2017, 04:33 AM
LED headtorch!
Jan 13, 2017, 06:11 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I have a couple different LED head torches, and just don't care for them for wrenching and soldering. The do work great for a lot of purposes though.

Gramps that's an interesting possibility. I like that it can run off of USB power or AA batteries of which I have a ton of nimh's. I'll have to look into that one a bit more.

rcdog69 I thought about getting something 12v as I usually have one of my power supplies with me for running chargers, and it would be easy enough to just run a compact light off of it as well. I will have to look deeper into my options for going that route as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep em coming!

Quick Reply