Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 05, 2017, 10:52 PM
Will fly for food
The most stressful part is cutting the opening for the keel and getting it right the first time. I cut a groove to let the mast/keel box to set into the spacer a little. After it looked good I tacked it in place with goop and then drilled many holes along the center. I used an exacto saw blade to connect the dots and open up the keel opening to the edges of the fiberglass keel trunk. After I got the keel in I got the supports in and now they are glued in and the keel box is still removable. Tomorrow I will measure everything again and take the laser and measure the leading edge of the keel and see if the keel box is sitting correctly fore/aft wise. After all this she now sits at 712g with all the interior parts epoxy coated.
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 05, 2017 at 11:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2017, 09:57 PM
Will fly for food
I'm lucky I used the laser because I was way off from what I thought was vertical for the keel. I got the keel box glued in place this evening. I had to use the keel to align and hold the keel box in place so I rubbed grease onto the keel and after gluing the box in place I inserted the keel and checked the alignment with the laser. After about 25 minutes the 30 min epoxy is very stiff and I pulled the keel out and clean it up. After cleaning up the inside of the keel box the keel slips in nicely. I also built the winch mount and got it coated. All that's left for the hull is the mast well.
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 09, 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Mar 10, 2017, 11:37 AM
Looks fantastic, David. It's not to late to register for Beaver Fever. Just sayin.
Mar 10, 2017, 01:03 PM
Will fly for food
I'm looking at an end of May splash date. She will be leak tested this weekend in the pond with the bulb attached to the keel and extra weight loaded into the hull.
Mar 13, 2017, 11:25 PM
Will fly for food
Started work on the mast well and so far its looking OK. Way too many strips required.
Mar 14, 2017, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Started work on the mast well and so far its looking OK. Way too many strips required.
Looking great. Love the way you are continuing the contrast planking into the well.
Mar 16, 2017, 10:38 AM
Will fly for food
I started adding strips when I got home at 6:00 pm last night and time just passed, I went to bed at midnight. but the mast well assembly is almost complete. Tonight I'll get more detail sanding done and may get the first coat of epoxy on. This is the last of the wood to be installed so I counted the number of strips used in this hull.

Hull = 39
foredeck = 29
aft deck = 25
mast well = 53
bulkhead = 27
transom = 17
hatch facing = 12

total = 202 strips of wood
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 17, 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Mar 18, 2017, 02:56 PM
Will fly for food

The final mach up

I got the last of the internal parts coated in epoxy and coated the mast well. She is now a portly 815g. Today I will get the glass onto the mast well and that will be the last of the glassing needed except for the seams when I glues the decks to the hull. I got the mast post fitted but still need to drill the vent hole in the bottom. I also cut the hole for the rudder post of which I will glue into place sometime this weekend. I'm shooting for 830g for the hull ready for deck hardware and a complete hull ready for rigs at near 950g with the rudder adding 40g. The total weight of the RMG winch and the rudder servo and hardware will be 200g and the battery and waterproof container is 120g so a total weight calcs near 1275g which will be 25g overweight +->< maybe.
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 18, 2017 at 03:06 PM.
Mar 19, 2017, 12:15 AM
Will fly for food
A relaxing yet productive day dinking around the shop. I made and installed the jib hooks and mounted the winch to the mounting plate. I also installed the rudder post and I used goop to glue the rudder servo in place. No work tomorrow, I'm goin skiin
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 19, 2017 at 12:27 AM.
Mar 19, 2017, 10:20 AM
Will fly for food
Now it's looking like a yacht
Mar 19, 2017, 10:52 PM

looking nice as usual

Looking nice as usual. love the progress reports.
Mike

Mar 21, 2017, 05:49 AM
Unreal David!
I went down to my local IOM Tuesday arvo meet for the first time and the guys all laughed at my robbe windstar...It is a funky looking IOM but I think it's time I showed them what's what!
After leaving due to being laughed at I went back to work and spent 2hrs this arvo getting started on the build.
Will start a new thread as soon as I can.

Cheers
Dirk
Mar 21, 2017, 08:51 AM
... being laughed at is not a place I would want to be a part of ...... probably the same guys poking fun at the DF65 & DFlt95. I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm sure you will have a great looking build Dirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk25 View Post
Unreal David!
I went down to my local IOM Tuesday arvo meet for the first time and the guys all laughed at my robbe windstar...It is a funky looking IOM but I think it's time I showed them what's what!
After leaving due to being laughed at I went back to work and spent 2hrs this arvo getting started on the build.

Cheers
Dirk
Mar 21, 2017, 12:41 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk25 View Post
Unreal David!

Cheers
Dirk
From http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=713

Postby ChrisJ 25 Jul 2005, 10:55

Gentlemen
I posted this response to a thread back in January:

The Robbe Windstar was developed from Chris Dick's excellent timber Metrick Magick which he sailed to great success, including the first IOM Worlds.He passed the design lines to Dick Wallinger, UK Agent for Robbe Schluter, who carved a form to a slightly modifed version. He moulded several of this design, and Gordon Sears sailed one during 1994/95. A photo appears on the front cover of September 1995 Radio Yachting News. Gordon was always very competitive and the design had 10mm less freeboard than the Dicks boat, deck edges radiused, chine line faired neaer the bow, and slightly narrower stern.
When Robbe expressed interest in doing an IOM kit Dick took the original to Germany and it was used as a starting point for Windstar. The protoype was sent over to the UK and I (and others) sailed it for a week. Robbe were given a list of queries and also a copy of the Class rules (in German).
As is often the case with large volume sales companies the marketing people were less concerned with top level racing quality than general user customers and the kit betrays that in a lot of details.
The first 100 hulls did have pigment problem but Robbe then offered a free of charge swap (in clear epoxy) for any purchasers who wanted to get their boat registered for racing.
The Windstar lead ballast and fin are within class spec, as they are over the minimum figure in the class rules for the fin ballast. At the time the kit was designed (1994/5/6) quite a few people were experimenting with ballast below the maximum and several boats in the St Cyr worlds had 'light' ballasts to induce heeling with braod beam boats.
Because of the details designed into the product it is really not a good choice for anyone wanting to race, but it does sail properly if built well, having the basic lines of a really good well balanced boat.

Chris Jackson
GBR 2243

Mar 22, 2017, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoni1 View Post
... being laughed at is not a place I would want to be a part of ...... probably the same guys poking fun at the DF65 & DFlt95. I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm sure you will have a great looking build Dirk.
No it wasn't fun but I'll be laughing at them soon enough because David has kindly given me his awesome plans to build a "proper IOM"
the people around here are snobs so I did expect them to say something!
A few of them do own DF65's so there were a few words said about them.

In my defence they were all old (about 65+). I'm 25 so they most probably did it to put me in my place right at the start. I'll soon show them that they should have known better...

Chris
Thanks for all that info. I did see that while looking it up again the other day.
I built it when I was 14. It was built to the best of my abilities back then which were very decent even when compared to someone just starting their apprenticeship.

I have now retired that boat as I am on the way to building a Race Ready II.

I will start a new thread now with some pics and a few details.

Sorry to hijack your thread David.
Proceed with the build because I will quickly catch up

Cheers
Dirk.