Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 07, 2017, 12:28 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Not much done this weekend but I did get the deck openings cut out and the second R is close. I have given up on the idea of inlaying the RR II and will just glue them onto the upper part of the transom. I have thinned them down to about 2mm thick and with the cant of the transom they will be will within the 1000mm. After talking with my brother, measuring the hull to any kind of accuracy will be difficult without the building board being perfectly flat. This is the same board I used last year but this is the other side. The bottom side is not perfectly sanded flat and has remnants of last years build left on it and it looks like the board has warped about 2mm on the front starboard side. The board is 48" long so its not much but not perfect either. Next building board will be a 2x8.
How about this for a building board system.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=12
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2017, 01:21 AM
Quote:
...After talking with my brother, measuring the hull to any kind of accuracy will be difficult without the building board being perfectly flat. This is the same board I used last year but this is the other side. The bottom side is not perfectly sanded flat and has remnants of last years build left on it and it looks like the board has warped about 2mm on the front starboard side. The board is 48" long so its not much but not perfect either. Next building board will be a 2x8.
We build on a rectangular alloy extrusion 100mm x 50mm 1200mm long with 150mm wide ply top bolted onto that, and timber mounts bolted to that. Not only does it stay dead straight, but can be laid partly on its side, sticking up at about 60 degrees from normal to enable easy side planking and sanding, glassing, sanding, filling etc. Works really well, and saves a lot of bending over. Clamps into a vice well for glassing too.

Love the rear deck/hatches look - very reminiscent of old J Boat period decks. Edged hatches look great.
Feb 07, 2017, 05:05 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
How about this for a building board system.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=12
Great idea bbb, thanks for the link. About a year ago I picked up four off-cuts (30" long, a dollar a piece) of that material at a salvage yard. Looked too good to pass up and have been looking for a use for it....Thanks for the idea.....

Don
Feb 07, 2017, 08:21 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Probably very similar to what Mr Cool (above) uses.

BP
Feb 07, 2017, 08:23 PM
IBEX Lair, Cavalero Hill

Have-Mess-Will-Travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
Workshop is allowed to be messy. USA 42 show us a picture of yours?
Cookie, Are you making fun of my total lack of modeling skills? That's discrimination! I mean I should be the one with the disabled sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
Do you want lawn space to camp out for Beaver Fever (in the snow)?
Do you mean set up my tent in Rufus' poop and stay awake all night listening to your drunken neighbors party? Thanks but no thanks. Howard Johnson for me this time.

Have-Mess-Will-Travel. Oxford Suites, Lancaster, California.
Feb 07, 2017, 09:28 PM
BarryD
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA 42 View Post
Cookie, Are you making fun of my total lack of modeling skills? That's discrimination! I mean I should be the one with the disabled sticker.

Do you mean set up my tent in Rufus' poop and stay awake all night listening to your drunken neighbors party? Thanks but no thanks. Howard Johnson for me this time.

Have-Mess-Will-Travel. Oxford Suites, Lancaster, California.
Don't bring that BBW tape to the worlds it's off by by several mm's, but no problem for this weekend see ya in SD.
Barry
Feb 08, 2017, 05:07 PM
Will fly for food
The Keel/bulb and rudder are in the house. Thai-safepack makes a nice set for a good price and you can get a keel/mast trunk with it. I tested the ability to drain the mast trunk into the keel trunk and there is such a tight fit there is no free drainage. I weighed the keel/bulb and its 15g overweight so I'll start drilling the bulb from within the slot to remove the extra weight. I may also sand the top of the keel to see if I can get it further inside the keel box.

Last night I coated all the parts with slow cure epoxy. I used acetone and wiped all the parts to remove any oil from the wood and then applied the epoxy. I used a heat gun to warm up the epoxy and kept brushing it for 20 minutes or so. After 45 minutes I wiped most all the epoxy off the parts and left them to cure. This weekend I'll have them glassed as the 2 oz. cloth has arrived.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 09, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Feb 09, 2017, 03:50 PM
Will fly for food

Group shot

Here are all the sections built to date. The wood is much lighter in color than last years model. I may do the glassing to the small parts tonight
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 09, 2017 at 10:27 PM.
Feb 09, 2017, 08:29 PM
AKA justabigham
Look'n good David
Feb 15, 2017, 10:28 AM
Will fly for food
Wax on Wax off. Sanding and epoxying and sanding and epoxying. I have the 2 oz. cloth on all parts and will be cutting the hull and foredeck from their building boards later his week.
Feb 16, 2017, 01:30 PM
Will fly for food
They are ready to be cut free from the building boards. Still lots of sanding and filling and sanding and filling and and and.
Feb 18, 2017, 03:57 PM
Will fly for food

Cut Loose

I got both sections cut free from the building boards this morning. Last night I got the 2nd coat of epoxy on the hull so both have 2 coats on top of the 2 oz glass cloth. I sanded the mating edges down to the top edges of the ribs before I removed the ribs. I then spent about 3 hours scraping and sanding and scraping and well you know the story. So this is the first mock up of the yacht. Next task is to get the transom in place to add some structural rigidity to the back of the hull then wax on wax off the interior more then soak some epoxy into the interior.
Feb 19, 2017, 01:15 AM
Quote:
The transom is in and I'm test fitting the replacement ribs
A friend builds in balsa glass sandwich and, like you, he's placed bulkheads in that divide his hull into 1/ forward of mast, 2/ centre keel, mast and winch, then 3/ rear servo & rudder with linkages above deck. However, his are sealed as waterproof chambers with breather tubes. Incredibly stiff and dry.

Your hull looking great.
Feb 19, 2017, 04:45 PM

Iom

Looks terrific, David-great work!