R a c e R e a d y II IOM - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 26, 2017, 03:23 PM
Will fly for food
The foredeck in under construction.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2017, 12:01 AM
Will fly for food
I finished planking the foredeck this evening and got the first ruff sanding done. So far so good. I have begun to redesign the aft deck and the mast well in particular . I will be able to lower the mast 4 to 5mm placing the lower mark at about 65mm above the deck mark. Since the mast well will be HUGE I'm toying with the idea of adding a mast well drain line that exits at the transom. The tube will be attach to the mast tube about 1" above the water line and exit about 1/2" above the water line at the transom It should remove more than an ounce of stored water. Sealing the tube at each end will be something that will have to be reliable as access to the mast tube end may be limited. I'm beginning to run out of wood and may have to use some of the scrap sticks and cobble them together to make the aft deck.
Jan 27, 2017, 12:23 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
[QUOTE=davidjensen;36739324 Since the mast well will be HUGE I'm toying with the idea of adding a mast well drain line that exits at the transom. [/QUOTE]

Just keep that tube straight
Jan 27, 2017, 06:39 AM
Did you consider draining it to the keel trunk?
Jan 27, 2017, 11:15 AM
Will fly for food
The keel fits so tightly inside the keel trunk I don't think there will be free drainage but I will look at that after I get the keel/mast trunk. This weekend I'm going to have my brother who is a machinist at Boeing measure the hull with his dial gage and see where the high and low points are at 50mm stations along the hull.
Jan 27, 2017, 01:36 PM
Will fly for food
Here is the aft deck planking plan. We will see how close the final comes to this.
Jan 28, 2017, 09:17 PM
Will fly for food
I got a lot of sanding on the hull and foredeck done today. I'll have to wait until next week to get my brother to measure the hull. I got started on the aft deck and completed the planking of the starboard side. The port side will have to wait until tomorrow night as I'm going sailing tomorrow
Jan 29, 2017, 12:44 AM
Will fly for food
I lied I am amazed at how fast tight bond III sticks and holds. I'm waiting only 15 min before I add more strips and re-clamp. I used a palm sander on both sections of the aft deck 30 min after the last gluing. The only items left to plank are the transom, main bulkhead and the mast well.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 29, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Feb 02, 2017, 11:52 PM
Will fly for food
I'm waiting for some 2 oz. glass cloth to arrive before I can apply the epoxy and glass the sections. I've got all the sanding done so in my boredom I started thinking about the transom. This could either come out looking nice or just sloppy. This is one hours tinkering so not a lot of time (yet) has been spent.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 02, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
Feb 03, 2017, 12:14 AM
Too much time on your hands!!! But very neat. Make sure they don't exceed the 1 metre.

-Barry
Feb 03, 2017, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
I'm waiting for some 2 oz. glass cloth to arrive before I can apply the epoxy and glass the sections. I've got all the sanding done so in my boredom I started thinking about the transom. This could either come out looking nice or just sloppy. This is one hours tinkering so not a lot of time (yet) has been spent.
Timber inlaid model on transom, that's novel and really hard to do. Methinks vinyl cut letters would be simpler to get right, and if you decide you don't want, they can be removed.

Has the rear deck been finished or waiting for test fitting to hull first. The planned well and bulkhead will keep you busy for a while!
Great build to watch, looking great.
-Colin
Feb 03, 2017, 10:54 AM
Will fly for food
Barry that is the problem in my life, I have plenty of free time and I have a 40 hour a week job. The "R" is 10mm wide and would be inlayed into 10mm wide strip. I'll make the second "R" this weekend and see how it looks. The "I" is 3mm wide and would be butt glued to 3mm strips. The rear deck is just a blank now (running proud on all sides) and is waiting for the epoxy and glass. After the parts are glassed I'll cut the hull and foredeck off of the building boards but keep the ribs in place. One of the nice things in this design is the ribs mark the top of the hull and the bottom of the foredeck so you just sand to the top of the ribs and you should be very close. After this step I'll remove most of the ribs and cleanup the interior surfaces.
Feb 06, 2017, 12:16 AM
Will fly for food
Not much done this weekend but I did get the deck openings cut out and the second R is close. I have given up on the idea of inlaying the RR II and will just glue them onto the upper part of the transom. I have thinned them down to about 2mm thick and with the cant of the transom they will be will within the 1000mm. After talking with my brother, measuring the hull to any kind of accuracy will be difficult without the building board being perfectly flat. This is the same board I used last year but this is the other side. The bottom side is not perfectly sanded flat and has remnants of last years build left on it and it looks like the board has warped about 2mm on the front starboard side. The board is 48" long so its not much but not perfect either. Next building board will be a 2x8.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 06, 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Feb 06, 2017, 05:10 PM
Will fly for food

It's a snow day

Snowed 5+ inches last night so I decided to stay in and enjoy a day off. I worked on the hatches and got them faced and fitted. I also got the transom blank glued up and sanded. With the snow, deliveries will be postponed for a few days as I live on a very steep hill and I'm waiting for my 2 oz fiberglass.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 06, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
Feb 06, 2017, 08:29 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
a working and producing workshop is allowed to be messy. USA 42 show us a picture of yours? Do you want lawn space to camp out for Beaver Fever (in the snow)?