R a c e R e a d y II IOM - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 15, 2017, 09:38 PM
Look wonderful build New IOM
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2017, 10:10 PM
Will fly for food
I've CA'd my cut fingers many times but these are abrasions from sanding the skin off but I'll try it because I know it will happen again.
Jan 16, 2017, 01:48 AM
Hello David,

Thank you for sharing your building techiques, I look forward to your progress.

I have a few questions:

1) What was design philosophy behind having the widest beam aft of center and the deepest draft forward?

2) how do you use the center line on your planks? Are you adjusting width evenly between both sides?

3) Why do the widths of the planks vary along the bow?

4) Are you going to put in some frames or is the hull shape retained by glassing the inside and outside?

Thanks,

Todd
Jan 16, 2017, 11:45 AM
Will fly for food
Hi Todd

Answers are

1. This is how the V9 hull is shaped.
2. The planks are tapered on both ends unless there is a reason to taper only one end. The planks bend easily.
3. They need to taper to almost nothing at the bow and bend around the much sharper rounded bow . To make them all perfect would require much more time than I want to put in and would require much better tooling than what I have. There will be many imperfections along the way (see pic)
4. Yes I have replacement frames for ribs 2, 4 and 9. Ribs 6 and 6A are used to hold the keel trunk in place and rib 9 is used to secure the rudder servo. I will be glassing the exterior as well as some of the interior at the stress points.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 16, 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Jan 16, 2017, 12:14 PM
Hello David,

Thanks for the information.

I once saw a photo of a cedar-strip canoe only glassed on the outside. As the wood changed moisture content, the whole boat wanted to turn inside-out.

The difference between the greatest beam and the deepest draft will probably affect how the boat trims as it is heeled. I would assume that the bow will ride lower as it is heeled. I have noticed other boats with similar designs.

Todd
Jan 16, 2017, 04:02 PM
Will fly for food
I also noticed this with the V9
Jan 18, 2017, 04:30 PM
Will fly for food

Another Race Ready in the making

Mario who lives in Poland requested a set of the RRII plans and has started on his build.
Jan 18, 2017, 05:02 PM
It looks like foam board used for the frames
Jan 20, 2017, 10:37 AM
Will fly for food
I finally got the chine line strips put in. These 4 strips took 2 days of sanding and fitting and sanding and fitting. The first ones I had to scrap and start over but I got them in and they look OK. I will again make this a "soft chine" but not as soft as last years boat.
Jan 20, 2017, 07:28 PM

I have been in

David lovely boat. love the IOM P*rn.
Mike

Jan 20, 2017, 11:52 PM
Will fly for food
All done to the chine line.
Jan 22, 2017, 11:33 PM
Will fly for food
Another weekend locked in the shop. CA does a great job of stopping the bleeding from the fingers. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be painful finger days as they heal. The planking on the hull is complete and I took about an hour(s) to sand and sand and sand. Compared to last years boat this one has much tighter tolerances between each strip and I cannot see any light thru any of the joints. At this pace I should have the foredeck complete by the Super Bowl.
Jan 23, 2017, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
Another weekend locked in the shop. ... The planking on the hull is complete and I took about an hour(s) to sand and sand and sand. Compared to last years boat this one has much tighter tolerances between each strip and I cannot see any light thru any of the joints. At this pace I should have the foredeck complete by the Super Bowl.
That is looking great David. Very impressive timber detailing. Like the disapearing line towards the bow, just makes your work distinctive. Look forawrd to seeing your front deck soon.

You are such a well organised designer/builder.
Jan 23, 2017, 10:37 PM
IBEX Lair, Cavalero Hill
Dave is not all that organized. I mean just look at those clamps, not even the right color sequence. And you know it’s all Photoshoped because nobodys wife, not even Dave’s, would let a sawdust encrusted Woody pose on a spotless high end Davenport. Get real!

Speaking of making a mess. Are you (David) up for another COW gathering?
Last edited by USA 42; Jan 23, 2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: ,
Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 AM
Will fly for food
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmobility
You are such a well organised designer/builder.
USA 42 is right. One look into my shop and you would see that I am anything but well organized. I am a designer/builder but still have much to learn about this strip planking method. Yesterday I started on the foredeck and its looking OK so far.

As for the COW, I'll talk with the wife and let you know.