R a c e R e a d y II IOM - Page 11 - RC Groups
Apr 18, 2017, 10:23 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoni1
Thanks for the layering info. Can you please tell me what do you use to seal the balsa with prior to epoxy?
Aqua-net hairspray!!!

It's an old balsa trick I carried over from building airplanes... yes way back before the ARF days.
We sprayed the balsa after initial sanding, but prior to monokote. This locked the balsa "hairs" in place so they could be sanded off rather than just knocked back over, providing a baby's butt smooth finish to promote a good monokote cover.
Depending on the grain orientation, you may need to apply a second or third coat (end grain needs at least 2)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 10:35 PM
Will fly for food
The radio has been installed and she is about 1290g so about 50g over weight😡
Apr 21, 2017, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
The radio has been installed and she is about 1290g so about 50g over weight😡
Looks great David, and 50g is not so much overweight, but a small safety margin. Much closer to weight than you feared. B rig will be under :-)

Hope she sails well and is dry as a bone inside. Happy sailing.
Apr 21, 2017, 09:32 AM
Just watched some of the demo filming for the Worlds.

Great work France, I will be glued to it for the week, along with many others I imagine.
Apr 22, 2017, 03:05 PM
Will fly for food
First sail for the new boat. She is now 99% complete with bench testing completed last night. She is dry inside after a 30 min swim in the rain and I may take her up to Bowman bay tomorrow and sail here for the first time. Just a few minor items remaining. The rigs from the old boat fit after just a few changes. The final numbers are not what I was hoping for but she is what she is. 4090g without any corrector weight. I can build a lighter rig and save about 20g and I have some 1000mah batteries that can save another 15g. I may switch over to a Lemon receiver and that will save more because I could remove the long antenna tube. A few lightening holes in the hull may be in order.
Last edited by davidjensen; Apr 22, 2017 at 04:27 PM.
Apr 22, 2017, 06:08 PM
Will fly for food

99.8% Complete

Its raining hard outside and I just don't want to work on the pond today so I have readied for racing, Race Ready to race tomorrow. We will see if anything breaks.
Apr 22, 2017, 06:48 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
That's a beautiful IOM David.Very nice!
Apr 23, 2017, 03:41 AM
Unreal David.

Very nice work.
Looks the part and I'm sure it goes really well too.

Wouldn't mind seeing a video of it racing with your local club and seeing how it stacks up.

Enjoy sailing your beautiful work piece.
D.
Apr 23, 2017, 03:53 AM
For me, like most I think, the performance of this boat matters not. I have really enjoyed following this build. Cannot believe how he gets time to build, work and post.

But, for Davids sake, lets hope its a fast one.
Apr 23, 2017, 10:32 PM
Will fly for food

A successfull first day

I went to Bowman Bay http://www.ibextrax.com/Style/DPPark.jpg to sail with the DPMYC guys today with Race Ready II. I did not know what to expect but was hoping for the best and after arriving saw some nice winds that looked a little more stable than usual for the bay in the winter. After getting out and in the water the wind was literally coming from here, there and everywhere which is normal for Bowman bay with southwesterly winds. Initially she had some weather helm but I was able to tune most of it out. The wind was at times at the top of A range and I quickly noticed that RRII's nose quickly goes under but that is not a death nail and the boat had full rudder authority even when going down wind with 1/4 of the nose buried and the hull at about 25 to 30 degrees nose down. She did trip a few times trying to jibe in very stiff gusts. It took me a little while to get the jib and main twisted correctly to get a balanced helm but I did achieve it. The racing started at 11:30 and the first race I took a solid 3rd and then a 4th and then on her 3rd (3rd time is a charm) she took the bullet. This was against 10 other boats of which at least 3 were V10 and two V9's, one Brit Pop, one Chinze, one Picanto etc. Out of the 14 races we had RRII took 3 bullets, one second and 3 thirds along with a few well deserved back-o-d-pack finishes. With the winds as fluky as they were it is not a good test of the new boat but she did show real promise for what she was designed for and that is the chop at Lake Washington's Coulon Park. Many times she would accelerate quite well up wind with the nose semi under very much like what you see with the D4 Smash. And when the nose did go under is did not seam to slow the boat down at all. I wish I had time to get the hull certified before the COW this weekend so I guess I'll just have to sail the V9
Last edited by davidjensen; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:38 AM.
Apr 24, 2017, 02:42 AM
Congrats David,
That is an amazing first day out achievement. It usually takes weeks or months of fiddling about to get a balanced rig and then refine the tune - and you do it in half a day!

Racing versus tuning sessions are very different and to get results like that racing, when you'd barely done a tuning session is both an indication of your tuning skills, racing skills and more importantly for this thread, you hull's performance - bloody amazing.

I hope you continue to achieve such results with your lovely RRII.
Apr 24, 2017, 03:30 PM
Will fly for food
Thanks cool The tuning is not done yet but this is the rig I used all of last year on the old boat so I am familiar with how to tune this rig (kindasortamaybe). I took some time at lunch today to weigh some of the parts and try to see if I can get some weight savings. If I use patches for the hatches that saves 34g. The receiver switch from the AR600 to the Lemon DSMX saves 8g and the smaller battery will save 10g. I can also shorten some of the wires inside and save about 5g but other than that there is not much I can do. I do plan on building a new rig and see how light I can make it. Using Varient hardware I made a rig for the Kantun at 257g and this A rig is 278. I plan on using this boat at the Hood River Carnage regatta in July and will do most all of the above and hopefully get the boat near 4025g.
Last edited by davidjensen; Apr 24, 2017 at 03:36 PM.
Apr 24, 2017, 05:04 PM
I bet it was very soul satisfying to see her do so well her first time out... congratulations!
Apr 25, 2017, 06:52 PM
Will fly for food
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCphotoguy
I bet it was very soul satisfying to see her do so well her first time out... congratulations!
I'm still all giddy
Apr 28, 2017, 10:25 AM
Will fly for food
I've been able to remove just under 30g by switching the receiver and battery and I saved 8g by replacing the Sailsetc boom with a round mast section. Today is the weigh in for the COW regatta and I will take RRII and get her weighed and I hope they have a float tank. I may just sail her if I can get the race committee to accept a non certified woody.