Jan 12, 2017, 10:58 AM
Will fly for food
Build Log

R a c e R e a d y II IOM

The build of my second IOM is now underway. With my new cad setup it took me about 30 hours to complete this design but I don't even want to think about how long it took to get the setup set up. The goals were to have a narrow entry and a wide stern with the widest point well aft of center and the deepest draft ahead of center. The nose is "semi" wave piercing which will cause it to change over to a b-rig sooner. After sailing my V9 a few times in heavy winds I found when the nose goes down it does not necessarily trip. I still had rudder authority and sometimes the nose came back up so this influenced my design. One of our venues has a concrete wall which reflects the waves back onto the race course. The resulting chop can be quite challenging and this design I hope will do well in the chop. The second PDF shows the differences between Race Ready I and II.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 12, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2017, 11:41 AM
I have this thread marked!
Jan 12, 2017, 01:08 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Subscribed......
Jan 12, 2017, 05:58 PM
Keep us posted, looking forward to this journey.
Jan 12, 2017, 06:36 PM
Looks good David. Hope you can get it finished in time for Beaver Fever.
Jan 13, 2017, 11:14 AM
Will fly for food
I completed the mounting of the ribs to the building boards last night. Its so nice to see all the ribs line up perfectly which makes the laser cutting such a nice option. I've got lots of scrap balsa and other woods from building airplanes so I'm using it up instead of making a fancy mounting frame. After the ribs are secured to the building boards I sanded them until all of the burned edges were removed. Only one frame (10A) was low by about .25mm so I had to sand the other ribs down to meet it. I plan on placing clear plastic tape over the ribs so the glue won't stick to hard to the ribs . The ribs have tick marks so I can judge if the strips are being placed evenly off the center line and I don't want to use blue tape and cover them up.
Jan 13, 2017, 12:33 PM
Tuned in
Jan 13, 2017, 03:26 PM
Hi David,

When you apply the planks, are you bevelling each plank to match the proceeding plank or are they just butted together?

Cheers,

Gunther
Jan 13, 2017, 03:47 PM
Looking good David.

the building board looks a little thin, are you sure it will not twist?

I know it may seem ages away but the speed you are going it will be upon you, foils. Are you thinking of making them? If not, i have recently seen some from Robot Yachts in the UK and must admit they are the most beautifully finished, rigid and light foils i have ever seen, well worth a think.
Jan 13, 2017, 09:09 PM
Will fly for food
The pics show the first batch of planks that have a center line drawn on them. I marked the 4" wide planks with red pen on the edge to mark the best side before I ripped them into the strips. I got the clear tape on the ribs and tapered a thin plank (3mm to 1.5mm) of the black walnut for the keel board. This was much easier than trying to get a wide plank (6mm) centered on the top of the ribs. I do plan on taking more time to better fit the planks to each other and yes they are butt fitted next to each other. The tight bond III does a good job at filling in the cracks.
Jan 14, 2017, 03:09 PM
Will fly for food
Well the clear tape did not work. The keel board came right off so the tape worked to well. I removed it and used blue tape which I cut on the edge so the tick marks are visible. Another keel board was glued in place. We will see how it sticks after the Seahawks beat the Falcons.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 14, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Jan 15, 2017, 12:20 AM
AMA16634...Just Me
"after the Seahawks beat the Falcons. "......ooooops.....
Jan 15, 2017, 08:33 PM
Will fly for food
Another 12 strips added and I'm at the chine line at the rear. I now have to set a stick along the top of the chine line and then the bottom and then fill in the area between. Three of my fingers are bleeding from where I have sanded off the skin so its time to stop and let them heel for a few hours
Jan 15, 2017, 08:52 PM
Use CA glue as temporary finger cut repair to seal simple minor cuts ... that is what cosmetic surgeons use to eliminate stitch scars