Jan 11, 2017, 11:59 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

New Display for Pixhawk status instead of lights and beeps

I don't know about you but I really hate trying to keep track of flashing lights sequences and beep sequences to figure out the status of my flight controller. That is why I was excited to see a new code written by Mirko Deneke to drive a small SSD1306 display to show status in WORDS! Mirko designed this for his BBBmini project because there were no lights on the Beagle Bone Linux board to use for status. The SSD1306 is light weight, very readable and cheap. It uses a simple I2C interface so no mess attaching it.

Then Alexey Kozen ported ih to be used with Pixhawk. The first line is a ticker tape line the scrolls with detailed information and the following lines are static for information like GPS and Arming status. I think this a great project.

This feature is now a part of Arducopter 3.5 and on up and will be added to other vehicles with the next release of that firmware.

Here it is in action:
ssd1306 layout004 test layouts for onboard oled display with arducopter 3.4 rc1 F4BY (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by mike_kelly; Aug 26, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2017, 08:11 AM
FA3PR9WM79
That's pretty slick.

I get the same stuff and more on my X9E using Craft and Theory's Flight Deck telemetry interface...
Jan 12, 2017, 10:33 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
True but the value of this display is that it works with any radio and is only a couple of bucks.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Jan 12, 2017, 10:18 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-96-I2C-IIC...sAAOSw4shX3EL5

These are sold by lots of sellers in white or blue and the dual yellow first line and blue remainder. Be sure to get one that uses the I2C interface as opposted to SPI etc.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Feb 01, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
Jan 27, 2017, 04:55 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
The link above is just one source of many on Ebay for this display. You want the one with 4 simple interface pins not more. The one to use is I2C.

I am working with user Ultra3DP to print up a nice little case for the SSD1306

Feb 01, 2017, 02:04 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
The code for the display is now into Arducopter 3.5c1. A new wiki page has been added at:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/com...y-onboard.html

Last edited by mike_kelly; Feb 01, 2017 at 02:10 PM.
Feb 01, 2017, 03:56 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
The code for the display is now into Arducopter 3.5c1. A new wiki page has been added at:
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/com...y-onboard.html

I just pulled the trigger on one of these displays.
Feb 02, 2017, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
The link above is just one source of many on Ebay for this display. You want the one with 4 simple interface pins not more. The one to use is I2C.

I am working with user Ultra3DP to print up a nice little case for the SSD1306

First, thank you for this display! extremely useful,

Secondly, we need to work on your 3D printing, your top layer is under extruded, turn it up at least 10% , maybe turn up the filament temp 5C too.
Feb 02, 2017, 04:28 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Don't blame ultra3DP i wanted to see it in black and he only had black in ABS, which is too soft for this object. I should receive a new one done in black PLA in a day two.
Feb 03, 2017, 06:48 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Got my display today, flashed the Pixhawk with AC3.5-RC1 (yep, I'm brave...), wired the display up, plugged in USB, set NTF_DISPLAY_TYPE to 1, wrote params, unplugged USB, plugged USB in and and the display works.

This has got to be the easiest thing I've done yet.

The display is kinda cool and the text is SMALL...

Now to figure out how and where to mount it...
Feb 03, 2017, 10:57 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Congrats. Ya I thought I was going to have problems with my old eyes but the display is so sharp I don't have any problem reading it.
Feb 04, 2017, 10:50 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Got my new cover from Ultra3D printing and I love it. Much better quality in PLA. I just used one display as a drill guide and drilled four holes in the cover to bolt through the canopy on my Tarot 680 pro. I am going to use 2mm x14mm cap screws to hold it down. It is really going to do the job for me. I really prefer the yellow/bue display because the yellow line becomes the moving ticker information line and the blue lines are fixed information. BTW this cover has no back I just use a piece of 3M foam behind it and just bolt the case to the Canopy.

I did find some gotchas. First it looks like they must manufacture these displays on big circuit boards and cut the individual displays apart. The cutting is irregular. I have maybe a dozen of these displays and about half fit in the cover absolutely perfectly and the others don't fit at all. I have had a few of the displays with defects too. So if you get them for a couple of bucks you might get a few spares.

There are at least three different .96" displays, available in different color displays, all sold by various vendors. Two have round holes in the four corners and one has oval holes. None of the oval holes fit this case. Of the round holes one type has large diameter holes than the other. One type has a red circuit board which does not fit and the rest are blue circuit brd.

Last edited by mike_kelly; Feb 05, 2017 at 09:49 AM.
Feb 05, 2017, 04:40 PM
I looked at the sources and it appears this stuff has been integrated into the Plane 3.8.0 builds also.
Feb 05, 2017, 04:58 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Yes it will be in all of them but not until the next release of that craft.
Feb 11, 2017, 10:25 AM
Hej Mike
I have just updated to 3.5.1 but I can't see any onboard display among the optional hardware anymore?

Quick Reply