Jan 11, 2017, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum Vario Query with latest DX9 1.11 firmware

Can anyone tell me if the latest firmware has addressed the issue of the vario reporting altitude to a decimal point of a foot.
Does anyone need that level of accuracy, even if we believed it was actually that accurate?
I love the vario, BUT just find it annoying when it reports "three hundred and fifty seven POINT TWO feet".
It just means I lose the vario tones for a longer time waiting for the height report.
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2017, 07:39 PM
My DX9 is fully up to date and the last time I used the Vario I didn't get any point of a foot call outs, in fact I've never had that happen.

Although when my tx is showing 2m and slowly still climbing with the model on the ground, I don't really trust it's accuracy in the air.
Jan 11, 2017, 07:53 PM
You can see the bathroom fan turn on, clouds pass, and all kinds of pressure changes. That slow change in tenths of a foot is a testament to its accuracy. Full scale only has to have altitude accurate to 75' - ever wonder why?

Andy

Andy
Jan 11, 2017, 08:25 PM
Should I be getting the tenths call out on mine then Andy? Might be something I'll have to look into if I'm not?
Jan 11, 2017, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure we reduced the speech for that a few updates ago. Check the PDF. It tells what we did.

Andy
Jan 12, 2017, 03:09 AM
Also Andy I wasn't bashing the product, it may well be very accurate, all I was saying that mine, whether indoors, outdoors, wherever, creeps in height when on the ground and pressing clear does not zero it either which surely like a set of kitchen scales it should? I don't know, I was only just reporting what mine does.

I also fly toy aeroplanes not full size and have no interest in full size aviation to that degree so no, I don't know why full size are accurate to only 75' nor did even know that piece of information.

Still doesn't stop me wondering if my Vario is 2m out on the ground how far is it out in the air.

But, i'll live with it, or bin it.

Cheers!
Jan 12, 2017, 03:14 AM
A vario is never meant for perfect absolute height but for height changes. Every sensistive vario will drift a bit because the pressure is drifting constantly. You always need to reset it to 0 before launching your model but after a long flight it might be off serveral meters or more, that is absolutely normal.
Jan 12, 2017, 03:28 AM
Like I said, mine doesn't zero, always starts at 2m and climbing.

Never mind, ill live with it.
Jan 12, 2017, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the replies.
I couldn't find any reference to the rounding up to whole feet within the update notes, thats why I asked the question.
I assume from your reply Andy that this has been sorted.
Appart from this decimal place of a foot issue, I have not had any problems with my 3 varios. Yes there is drift over the time of a flight 1-2hrs but I can always put it down to weather conditions/barametric pressure over that time.
Thanks
Jan 12, 2017, 05:27 AM
No bounce, No play.
Altitude measuring devices tend to drift with change in temperature.

So if you take plane out of say car and put on bench turned on right away there will be a drift as temp settles.

ET instructions for FDR say to leave at least 10 minutes to stabilize then power cycle to get fresh "0" reading.
Jan 12, 2017, 05:35 AM
Tried that, first thing i thought of having come from helis and leaving my CSM 360 gyro get to temp back in the day =)
Jan 12, 2017, 06:32 AM
It doesn't "zero" like a scale. A Vario moving slowly isn't going to register as lift or sink. It is for detecting those. An altimeter does drift slowly, normally, as the atmospheric characteristics constantly change normally. You don't normally see this as most equipment has much less resolution to hide this.

Andy

Quick Reply