Jan 11, 2017, 09:46 AM
RBW's sock puppet account.
Thread OP
Discussion

Real life Jesus bolt crash story. History of my house and its original owner.

EDIT, Not jesus bolt, tail rotor gimble.

This is weird odd and creepy all at the same time. And here I am playing with toy helis in his house. This is all true to the best of my knowledge, and I wish I knew more details.

My wife and I purchased this house in 2005 from its original owner, Maryanne Sedia, Widow of Mike Sedia USN? US Army? Not really sure on this.

MR. Sedia and his wife Mairyanne were stationed in Panama for 10yrs, Mr. Sedia taught a Helicopter flight school for the Panamanian military during this time and was one of the first dozen or so pilots proficient enough to teach flight at a time when Helis were considered VooDoo by many. This would have been around 1950/1952 or so.

Mr. Sedia and his wife saved up almost every dollar he made during this ten year period, Maryanne meanwhile spent her time teaching English and drawing up plans for their first permanent home, the house where I now live.

Mr. Sedia's brother Carl was a well known custom home builder in this area and there is a local park dedicated to him in town. The exact reason he has his own park I do not know.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/Mm3hZWd753I65In...-z7TaCJqMV136O

Upon returning to the states Mr and Mrs. Sedia found a 3 acre parcel in what then must have been considered the Boondocks for this area. There was one powerline to this part of the township and the power went out frequently, hence the still working generator in my basement work room.

In the spring of 1972 the eastern seaboard was hit with a massive Hurricane named Agnes. This hurricane for the time was so devastating that entire sections of the state were cut off from any outside help and the only way to get in or out was by.....Helicopter.

Very few people at this time outside of the military had a 4wd vehicle and the ones who did weren't able to go very far due to mud slides and flooding ruining roads and two track trails alike.

When the call went out for help Mr sedia and others with his skills were called in for food drops, medical team insertions and removing wounded to a hospital.

Somewhere in the mix the news people thought that documenting things from the air would help highlight the massive scale of destruction and possibly speed relief efforts to the areas most in need.

All four men that went up that day to survey the damage and report on it including Mr. Sedia, the pilot, died in a crash due to the main rotor separating while in flight.

Wiki link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Agnes

Quote:
On June 26, 1972, three news correspondents were killed in a helicopter crash in Harrisburg, where they had been covering the flooding. The victims were Del Vaughn of CBS News and Sid Brenner and Louis Clark of WCAU in Philadelphia, and the pilot, Mike Sedio. The helicopter lost its rotor some three hundred feet above the Capital City Airport, crashed, and exploded on the runway.[41]
Now, you may have noticed spelling discrepancy's between my story and what was reported at the time. Well, the news media at the time screwed it up and misspelled the mans last name.

My wife and I talked at length with Mairyanne when we were buying the house and for a time after as she would stop in and visit her baby (the house) and reminisce.

By todays standards the house is no great shakes, but Im sure when it was built in 1961 that it was something to behold. Its built like a brick fecal dormitory, and Im sure you could not only drive a car into the living room (Twin 9' custom made sliding glass doors), but if you did the floor would not complain much if at all.

I always wished I had asked Mairyanne more questions about her husband Mike, but the subject being what it is I didnt want to dwell on it.

Funny how life is sometimes. If I hadent tried RC helicopters and flunked out way back in the day I would think my interest was due to knowing the history of my house.

Now I wonder if somehow this was all ment to be.

Nah, probably just coincidence, but still......
Last edited by RaisedByWolves; Jan 14, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2017, 11:14 AM
Heli nut " the wife said so "
Hi mate great story and very interesting
Jan 11, 2017, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
I have a update for tomorrow, too tired to even link now.
Jan 11, 2017, 01:45 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Very interesting.
Probably a coincidence, but keep an eye on Jesus.
Jan 11, 2017, 08:22 PM
Cool and sad...
wish my house had any where near that interesting of a story.
the only intresting thing about mine is that it has been in my family for three and a half generations.
Jan 11, 2017, 08:40 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Interesting
Jan 12, 2017, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1
Cool and sad...
wish my house had any where near that interesting of a story.
the only intresting thing about mine is that it has been in my family for three and a half generations.
Thats nothing to sneeze at.

Just think if the walls could talk.
Jan 12, 2017, 09:44 AM
Heli nut " the wife said so "
I second that ,thats really nice it been in the family that long
Jan 12, 2017, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
OK, lil update. This is unreal.

When we first moved into this house the basement was a mess. Everything from a pink....pink! laundry room to the generator room that was used as a workshop by 3 teenage boys. Dust literally 2" deep, holes in the block walls and floors, etc.

In the month it took mt to clean just this room and paint it I found various unique items. A puddle of mercury under the bench, many motorcycle batteries, lead ingots made from iron corn bread molds and this strange looking part that for some reason I identified with a Helicopter part.

Knowing the story of the owners death? Being a Toolmaker? Lucky guess? I dont know, but it just looked right for a heli of some sort.

This is the part. Excuse my chicken scratch, my pen didnt want to write.

Now, this part is what really got me thinking about this chapter of the houses story. I had looked it over dozens of times and wondered if it was given to Mikes boys as.......A souvenir? Artifact? Evidence? of what brought their fathers heli down.

I dont know what or how it got here, but after writing the above the other day i have been researching some things about the Sedia family and decided to google the part number on it and guess what.

It is a tail rotor gimble from a bell helicopter of that era!

Even looks to be NOS as the grease zerk holes are not even tapped.

Now, I cant say it was used on the same heli these guys were in when they went down, but as in the "watch scene" in Pulp Fiction, maybe it would be the kind of thing the mans colleague would bring to his sons to give some kind of closure? Explain just what happened?

If you are not believing this, trust me, Im having a hard time wrapping my head around all of it.

All I can think is, Good god these are/were some spindly looking things, and would I have had the guts to go up in one back then.

Bust be a special breed.
Last edited by RaisedByWolves; Jan 12, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
Jan 12, 2017, 06:43 PM
That's a very inspiring story. It is possible because the urgency of the moment might have caused the men to overlook something as critical as the bolt and something simple as a missing safety wire or failure to complete a service re-assembly. Bad things that happen when maintenance logging is neglected and the story adds to a list of stories and personal experiences where one minute detail being overlooked causes huge setbacks, harm, and sometimes costs people their lives. Sometimes being distracted by even a phone call away from critical work has ended in later tragedy.
Jan 14, 2017, 01:10 PM
In the earlier description of events, it referred to the main rotor coming off, hence the Jesus bolt aspect.

Eyewitness reports are notoriously unreliable, however, and tail rotor failure would be a more likely circumstance.

I hope you were careful with that mercury - people used to be pretty slapdash with it, and with things like Benzene too, risking all sorts of adverse health effects.
Jan 14, 2017, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
I hope you were careful with that mercury - people used to be pretty slapdash with it, and with things like Benzene too, risking all sorts of adverse health effects.
Or make a thermometer.
Jan 14, 2017, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
I played with mercury as a kid, the second head growing out of my shoulder dosent bother me a bit.

I found out some more about this story and I also have someone from Scale Helis why volunteered to look into some things as he knew people in my area back then who had an airport and a heli school.

I also found out through our house deed that his name was not Mike, it was Samuel.

Im thinking that reporting back then being done with a tablet (Paper tablet ) and pencil they got a few things wrong.

https://www.geni.com/people/Samuel-S...00003479640076

Also not his first crash.

Quote:
1952 - July 17; H-13E #51-13804, piloted by Samuel Sedia, was involved in an accident about 50 miles NNE of Thule AB, Greenland. No other details available at this time. http://www.accident-report.com/Yearly/1952/5307.html]

http://www.rotorheadsrus.us/documents/1935__1967.html

Quick Reply