Jan 14, 2017, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Tug
Thought it would be easier to make a new tug then refit problems .

to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2017, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Do you get water on these decks ?
I want to cut the scuppers out but I know from my tug I use to get some water on the rear deck.
Jan 14, 2017, 10:57 AM
Quote:
The other day I sold the Sea Imp X that Jim Mortimer and myself assembled , Was going to rebuild it anyway. Thought it would be easier to make a new tug then refit problems .
Im sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a build log of your new Sea Imp X
Jan 14, 2017, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone77
Im sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a build log of your new Sea Imp X
Absolutely
Jan 14, 2017, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
Here is all the brass material that came for the rudders , I will also solder a small
piece of solid brass rod across the rudders I like that extra detail.
I don't think the rudders on the Sea Imp X have that detail.
Jan 14, 2017, 11:51 AM
Some years ago a new club member , 15 year old Rob boyd selected a tug from the Western Mariner , The Sea Imp XII. At the same time I was starting the Tiger Sun Models and grabbed the drawings for Him from the office of A.G. McIlwain .
It took him 4 months to make the hull , He was originally going to make the hull be the model, I suggested to make a plug instead .
I corrected the back upper Bulwark some it was out a lot , Every model has a bit of a twist in this area .

The Sea Imp X was built about 1.5 years earlier than the rest of the Imp's about 1984 , She was a Cadillac compared to the other Imps that followed.
Her Hull armor ribbing was a lot more work to put on , This is the only difference between the X and the rest of the Imp's , Cost cutting and time saving measurements from the other shipyards.

After Rob made 2 models 1 R/C and the other sets in the Catherwood Towing Office In Mission B.C.
The first other model was Len Lewinton UK. To revive the hull , Len Has won lots of awards with His rendition , It was on the cover of Model Ships mag , May 2006.

Len also has a Don Ferguson model of the Sea Imp X @ 14" . This is Len's model shown Here.

Gary
Jan 14, 2017, 12:27 PM
This is Don Furguson's Sea Imp X finished by His Friend Lorne Scott some years after Don's passing. I supplied the stand base and cube cover for it . It now sits in the Office of Catherwood Towing Mission B.C.
Catherwood gave a undisclosed amount in a check to the Canadian Cancer society in His name fro the model.
This is 14" long
I now control the molds for the model.
The winch is working ,The motor is up under the rear top section of the back, It stands about 1.875" square 1.25" wide.
Gary
Jan 14, 2017, 12:44 PM
This is for Band 1
Some assembly required
Try not to burn your fingers
Should take you about 1 hr after everything's clean .
You will need to re drill and tap the set screw hole 6-32-NC Clearance hole 2.6 MM
Yes it is already threaded but solider travels to places unknown.
Gary
Jan 14, 2017, 12:50 PM
Here are some photos of my ongoing (slow) build - working on the wheelhouse, stacks and the detail stuff but always puttering with too many going at once.
I'm going to change the rudder linkage though and put two rudders on each side of the servo horn. The alignment isn't quite right and would work better if separated.
Jan 14, 2017, 12:55 PM
Thread OP
Great pics Gary, especially the winch it's a must due
now that I see a nice picture of it. .
I am thinking of using the non skid material on the deck , Home Depot
has it and it can be painted .
The Sea Imp Xll. looks great !
Jan 14, 2017, 12:56 PM
I should point out to the other modelers here that you have the parts for the Sea Imp XII, Your nozzles and Rudder stuff is going to be smaller @ 3" tall .
The X has 3.5" nozzles.
The real X has a wing between the nozzles.
This is a new problem to mold in Fiberglass .
The Sea Imp X was out for a re power here at Shelter Island .
Gary
Jan 14, 2017, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_victoriaBC
Here are some photos of my ongoing (slow) build - working on the wheelhouse, stacks and the detail stuff but always puttering with too many going at once.
I'm going to change the rudder linkage though and put two rudders on each side of the servo horn. The alignment isn't quite right and would work better if separated.
Looking good , those are some nice kort nozzels.
Jan 14, 2017, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I should point out to the other modelers here that you have the parts for the Sea Imp XII, Your nozzles and Rudder stuff is going to be smaller @ 3" tall .
The X has 3.5" nozzles.
The real X has a wing between the nozzles.
This is a new problem to mold in Fiberglass .
The Sea Imp X was out for a re power here at Shelter Island .
Gary
I am considering in adding that wing , the only problem is that it might pick up
all the garbage in the pond but it's another nice detail.

Wow , this speaks for its self !!!
Jan 14, 2017, 01:13 PM
This is a Sea Imp XII winch
Made and sold to a fellow on Vancouver Island,
Burrard Iron Works makes a good winch.
The X winch made by a bunch of fellows that don't make winch's has become a twisted mess with reinforcements all over it.
It no longer has the Level wined it was pulled out by a barge.
Cost here are the 30 hrs of fabrication and gear cost $150.00
Level Wined from a reel parts store $40.00
Silver solider 2 oz. $50.00
Mecano gear $30.00 with chain.
.060 Brass
Gary
Jan 14, 2017, 01:19 PM
Here's the PM and another tugs Nozzle set. Some have the cage . Not all the tugs have the wing .
Gary

Quick Reply