DJI Acquires Hasselblad Camera Company - RC Groups

DJI Acquires Hasselblad Camera Company

It was reported last week that DJI acquired a majority stake in Swedish camera company Hasselblad. This is exciting news for drone enthusiasts...

Splash

DJI's Empire is Growing

It was reported last week that DJI acquired a majority stake in Swedish camera company Hasselblad. This is exciting news for drone enthusiasts. Hasselblad has a strong name and reputation in the photography industry, catering to the ultra high end market with quite frankly prohibitively expensive products.

DJI and Hasselblad started partnering in 2015 with DJI buying into a minority stake in the company. One of the first products to come out of that partnership was DJI's M600 heavy lifter bundled with Hasselblads A5D camera and the Ronin MX gimbal. Now that DJI has acquired a majority hold it will be interesting to see how they leverage the great name and technology to further improve DJI's already outstanding camera systems as they continue to lead the market. Source: Luminous Landscape.

Jan 10, 2017, 09:14 AM
RC Enthusiast
I wonder if this deal is focused more on gaining access to Zeiss lenses rather than Hasselblad camera bodies. I've owned several Hasselblad bodies but my lenses are worth their weight in gold. Curious to see how this goes.
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
Jan 10, 2017, 12:48 PM
I have a long time friend that is a professional photographer and he uses Hasselblad almost exclusively. He does weddings, class pictures and high school sports photos. He has a lot of camera bodies and lenses.

I have used one of them and it was a great camera. I especially lake the large format. 2 1/4 I believe.
Jan 11, 2017, 06:13 AM
Great news ?! ... rather sky is falling...
Jan 11, 2017, 12:58 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Great news ?! ... rather sky is falling...
Ok, I'll bite... how so?
Jan 11, 2017, 01:36 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Ok, I'll bite... how so?
Time will tell but as a Hasselblad user i will be wondering how the QC will be considering DJI has consistent issues with it and the level of support. DJI has a pretty poor reputation with respect to customer support. Will Hasselblad maintain their excellent customer service and reliability or will DJI end up having a degrading effect on that?
Last edited by Stacky; Jan 11, 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Jan 11, 2017, 02:31 PM
So you aren't worried in whose hands go the values of this world ?
And how much would trust a Hassy copy now, if Made in...
Jan 11, 2017, 02:34 PM
RCGroups Editor
Ive been flying DJI products with zero incidents since the AceOne helicopter controller in 2009. I've built a successful aerial business with their products. No, I'm not worried.

I hope that's ok with you; us having differing opinions on a subject.
Jan 11, 2017, 05:43 PM
Cleared for take off...
I've owned more Blads than DJI's, at this stage I'm this one for 6 months, could be an awesome combo, might also go 'blargh'...
Jan 16, 2017, 01:53 PM
Blowtorch and a pair of pliers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Ive been flying DJI products with zero incidents since the AceOne helicopter controller in 2009. I've built a successful aerial business with their products. No, I'm not worried.

I hope that's ok with you; us having differing opinions on a subject.

Curious about the "successful aerial business". What do you do? What service do you provide, and how much demand are you seeing? My problem is having at least five years of experience with quad-copters... The novelty wore off before big brother said it was ok to make any money! Who pays and what is the going rate? I really need some inspiration cause I feel like I missed something. A boat maybe?

I imagine DJI was paying another for the cameras they provided. Efficiency, cost, control! Acquisition eliminates the "middle man".

Dean