This thread is privately moderated by alphatex, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 10, 2017, 01:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Ultrasonic Experiment

Since I've gotten the ultrasonic, I've had mixed results. This time I'm going to try to document the process to see if I can find a winning procedure that works decently well for most dirty engines.

I'm using a 25% LA Amazing Cleaner solution heated to about 175 degrees F. The engine is a very dirty OS Max FX 46 with a seized crank. I've dismantled as much as possible and tossed them in the ultrasonic cleaner.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2017, 01:14 AM
Waste Nothing
I like the idea of ultrasonic cleaning . I built a unit for a gunsmith friend of mine that used 2 different frequency transducers . One at 28KHZ and another at 44KHZ . Having 2 different transducers bolted againsst the stainless tank makes for 4 different frequency waves that will resonate a much wider range size of junk articles .

28KHZ , 44KHZ , (44KHZ - 28 KHZ) and (44KHZ + 28KHZ) are the freqs produced . These will target 4 times the partical sizes rather than having only one transducer .

Solvents , alcohols , acids , water based detergents are all good mediums to use depending upon what is being cleaned . Heating these up can be helpful if it is done in a well ventilated 'fume hood' kinda arrangement . Safety first my friend .
Jan 10, 2017, 02:03 AM
Thread OP
The LA's Amazing Cleaner is a general purpose water based degreaser that is ph neutral enough not to eat through aluminum. I have to check which frequency my el cheapo ultrasonic cleaner uses. It seems the heating element is not located centrally underneath, as I noticed that one corner seems to get hotter.
Jan 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
Waste Nothing
It 'ultraSOUNDS' like you are on the right track for effective cleaning . Best of luck with this .
Jan 10, 2017, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Rick.
Jan 16, 2017, 06:32 AM
Closed Account
I am looking forward to more of your results. I have not used mine much and thus have not documented its effectiveness.

Quick Reply