Mar 07, 2018, 11:32 PM

Fokker DVII

Not yet, hope to fly as soon as the snow is off the runway, want the nice cold air as she's kinda heavy.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2018, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
No action from me either. In my case I will need to get some stick time in before I fly the DVII. It will be a while.

Jim
Mar 10, 2018, 02:03 PM
Good to hear from you guys. I agree John about the cold air. Living at 4800’, density altitude can be 9000’! I think you’ll be surprised how well it flys. Still my only challenge is not tipping over after landing. Even on our paved runway the damage is minor ( some scratches on the top wing and maybe some minor fix on the top of the rudder). Bryan
Oct 03, 2018, 11:00 AM
Any flight reports yet? I'm very curious about final flying weights and CG.

I purchased one of these at a local swap meet a couple years ago and it has been collecting dust in my garage ever since. I bought it as a built airframe only and it was probably originally built in the 70's or 80's. Not even sure if it had ever been flown. Overall shape cosmetically was a little rough, but the builder incorporated some really nice features like: removable tail, screwed on top wing to cabanes, screwed on wing struts, a more traditional landing gear leg instead of the rear strut free-floating, and a nice job on the cockpit and guns. I figured I may as well get this airborne and if it all works out I may even re-cover in the future.

Current weight as it sits is 8-3/4 lbs, but it's still tail heavy. I estimate I will need close to a pound to level it out at the CG point on the plans. I have a SAITO FA-80 mounted up front.
Last edited by spitfire1999; Oct 03, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Oct 04, 2018, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
It's nice to see another Sterling D.VII. It looks to be a pretty decent build. From all I have read about these over the years, the total weight does not seem to matter much. Add what it takes to get it to balance and be sure to have enough speed before lifting off.

When I built my Sterling kit I modified it a lot to take weight off, especially in the tail. As a result I didn't need much nose weight. The heavy Enya 90 helped too. I have never weighed the plane. I've also never flown it. I haven't flown anything in several years - just keep building. Maybe someday.

Best of luck with yours. Jim
Oct 04, 2018, 10:17 AM
Hello there Jim,

I followed your build, such a beautiful model you did! I have a friend that has one, and although he has not flown it in awhile, you can see his video of it flying at one of our local Dawn Patrol Events called "Waldo Pepper". Anyway, my understanding is they are good flyers.

For the last few years I got spoiled flying a H9 Fokker D7 ARF. they are a smidge bigger and so lightweight for their overall size. Excellent flyers. I hope this one will be as well.

By the way, I have another flying partner who is also trying to get his swap meet Sterling D7 flying as well. He's almost done.

Jim
Feb 23, 2019, 11:00 AM

Sterling Models Fokker DVII

What a great build job you guys do. The Sterling kit is a lot of work to build, sometimes doesn´t make sense. the wood is crappy. Very tail heavy and thus builds into a very heavy airplane at 10lbs 5oz. Mine has a OS FS 70 surpass and that´s plenty of power for me ( tried an OS 60 fs but lacked enough power) I covered it in Coverite fabric, looks fantastic but added even more weight. Takeoff´s are ok but landings are real wing slappers with the occasional forward flip, once in a while I get them right. Once in the air its very satisfying. It´s very different from most of the ARF junk at the flying field.
Last edited by flynn49; Feb 23, 2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more details
Feb 23, 2019, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Looks great. Thanks for the flight report and posting the pictures. I still have not flown mine.

Jim
Feb 25, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thanks "flynn49" for posting such a beautiful build of your Jasta 18 Fok. D7. I agree with your view of the Sterlings overall, a very heavy build.

I finally did fly mine. I thought I had mine balanced at the CG on the plans, but as soon as I got it airborne, then I realized it was still very tail heavy. Fortunately, I have dealt with a lot of tail heavy flights and was ready for it. Slowed down a bit, beeped my elevator trim nose down as much as I could and avoided and large attitude changes, and successfully landed. It will live to see another day.

However, I just couldn't see where else I was going to add more weight without really cutting it up so I sold It to one of my other flying buddies who wants to take on that task.

For now I have 2 H9 Fokkers, one I fly pretty much stock as a glow model. the other one is electric and has been completely stripped and modded-up a bit and recovered in fabric.

By the way, did you see H9's NEW 1/4 scale Fok. D7 that is coming? It's also a Jasta-18 bird, 87".
Jun 29, 2019, 09:18 PM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11
And an Enya 90-4C hay, now THAT is a nice looking plane love the exposed engine area

I love theFS-70 and Saito 80 ones too, so cool
Last edited by Bunnyshooter223; Jun 30, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Jun 30, 2019, 02:31 PM
Subscribed
Jul 09, 2019, 05:31 PM
I would have to agree about the weight not being too big a factor. Mine is electric flying on 6 cell 4000 mah pushed right up to the grill above the motor. Even then I had to add 11 oz weight to the nose. Mine is right at 10.5 pounds and balances just a hair nose heavy. Been flying it for over a year now. Flys great. Loops, rolls inverted flight are easily done. Mine takes off beautiful but landings are more challenging. I’ve learned to come in with about 25% power and wheel land with the tail a little low. Once the wheels are stuck I feed in full up and really get on the rudder to prevent ground looping. This technique keeps me from the all to easy tip over and rudder repair. In this pic I’m taking off at an angle trying to counter strong cross winds at our club field. Doesn’t matter what your flying cross winds are challenging.

Quick Reply