May 25, 2017, 08:24 PM
It's a shame, it is a great product. The colors are all gone except Cub Yellow and white, and I do not know if the primer is still around or not. I did e-mail them at their contact address and it came back as non-deliverable.........John.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2017, 08:28 PM
Jim, your Fokker is going to be a thing of beauty, I would be shaking in my boots to test hop it! Bad enough I have to hop mine. I thought I had set the control throws and went back to double check and I cannot find the throws on the plans, they might have been on an addendum sheet that I have misplaced. Would you happen to know them? John.
May 26, 2017, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
I don't remember seeing control throws in any of the posts I've seen. There's nothing in my instructions. Maybe someone who is flying a D.VII of similar size will post throws here.
May 27, 2017, 09:39 PM
I'm glad to see someone else building the sterling Fokker. It looks beautiful. I just finished building mine and flew it for the first time. Mine is electric , six cell spinning a 17-8 prop. It weighs 10 pounds and flys great at 1/3 throttle! I tried to build it as true to original as possible including the landing gear. Wheel landing is best with no bouncing. Mine has the skid and will ground loop when landing on pavement.
May 27, 2017, 09:47 PM
Thanks by1960, nice to get a good flight report, can you post some pictures of your plane? What were your control throws set at? There are no published throws on the plans and I was going to have to guestimate the settings, John.
May 27, 2017, 09:55 PM
I covered mine in 21st century fabric. I don't like it. I wish I had covered it with sig coveral. It's not gonna win any beauty contests but it's very passable especially in the air. If anyone is interested in my control throws I would gladly share that.
May 27, 2017, 11:07 PM
Looks pretty nice, I had to do my top wing in the painted 21st Century fabric and do not like it at all. In fact if this turns out to be a good flyer I will re-do the top wing next winter. The stuff on the rest of the plane was Super Shrink Coverite, I think, it was pretty old. And yes, please let us know what your control throws are, Thanks, John.
May 28, 2017, 07:50 AM
I'm flying my D-7 with a Futaba 9C and a Frsky module. My aileron throws are 5/8" on the low rates and 3/4" on high rates. Both low and high rates have 40% expo. No differential. I mix 35% rudder with the ailerons which worked pretty well, no adverse yaw. Elevator is 3/4" on low rate and 1 1/4" high rates with 40% expo. Rudder throw is 1 1/2" and no expo. I wanted to have plenty of throw in case I needed it . I meant to do the maiden with ailerons on high rate ( they look tiny) and elevator on low rates. I ended up flying both on high rates. I was so nervous my knees were shaking. The 40% expo on high rates seems to be perfect for me. I like sensitive controls and I wanted to fly this plane slowly. So this set up worked very well for me. I haven't used the low rates yet. Bryan
May 28, 2017, 08:03 AM
Also I forgot to mention, the wings and tail are set up as close to 0 incidence as possible ( plus or minus 1/2 degree). Engine is set with 2-3 degrees down and right thrust. My cg is just a pinch nose heavy. I was a little worried about that huge fan and that tiny rudder but no tendency to ground loop on take off . It does want to ground loop on roll out. That might be because I'm flying electric and the motor is off after touchdown. No prop blast over rudder. I'm gonna have to be quick to pulse throttle on roll out to give me rudder authority. I had an ikon west Curtis Robin that needed that skill. Bryan
May 28, 2017, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Bryan thanks for posting pictures and specs for your Sterling D.VII. It's great to find someone who is actually flying one. As to the throws given, is the measurement total left to right/up to down, or to one side only. Jim
May 28, 2017, 10:25 AM
That's to one side only. For example rudder throw is 1 1/2" which is a total of 3". Hope this is helpful. Bryan
May 28, 2017, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info Bryan, I also use a Futaba 9C, best radio ever. I will set up to your settings and test hop next week. When I learned to fly there was no expo yet and I am very used to that, so I might skip that bit. Thank you very much for posting the information, John.
May 28, 2017, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
Lozenge on the underside of the wings is now finished. Also applied the sprayed-on rib tapes. Yet to be applied are the wing crosses and a coat of clear polyurethane.

I wish I had made the "blue" bluer. The color police aren't going to be very happy with me.

Thanks for the control throw info. It is a BIG help.
May 28, 2017, 02:05 PM
Nice work Jim!
May 28, 2017, 04:59 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
That looks good!
(Tell the color police to go arrest themselves.)

Quick Reply