Feb 23, 2017, 01:18 PM
Thread OP
Looks nice! We don't get slow days here.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2017, 08:21 AM
Andy, the bellcrank could be a Perfect item, they were plentiful and inexpensive. Still have several small ones in the package, made for 1/2A.
Great info and nice craftsmanship being displayed.
David
Mar 02, 2017, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
I need to set this aside for a bit. I'm building a model for a raffle at the start of June and just realized how close that really is!

Andy
Mar 04, 2017, 01:40 PM
Gravity sucks.
The Hurri is ready to go
Mar 04, 2017, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Very nice, Mark!

Andy
Mar 11, 2017, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
I'm thinking maybe a stilleto or juno look for the tail.
I might be a little overdue, but I'd recommend the Juno fin.
Nothing against the Stilletto though -on the contrary-, I saw Les taking his first World title with it, just preference....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
The Hurri is ready to go
A work of art! (insert applauding smiley here)

@Andy: how's the shoulder doing? And the raffle model? As we'd like to see some progress on your CL project too...
Anyway, one of my RC pals, Niek, is sending his regards. He's helping me out on my first attempts in beating some mini Arduinos into submission in becoming CL timers/controllers. Nothing spectacular though, as yet.....
Mar 11, 2017, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Shoulder is improving. I was able to hold my transmitter and fly 2 minutes two week ago - then I had to hand off the transmitter to my son. The weather hasn't cooperated since then.

The raffle model is coming along. The thread for it is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Grumer-Grandpa

I correspond with Niek on occasion, just earlier this week in fact. He will like the next update - one of his suggestions is implemented in it.

Andy
May 03, 2020, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
This plane has been sitting on my "finish someday" workbench for over 3 years now. I think it's about time to get back into it. My nephew Josh started asking me electric C/L questions this morning so he can do them with his son, and that got me moving again. Let's see how long it lasts.

So today I installed the bellcrank and leadouts so I can complete the wing sheeting.

Andy
May 03, 2020, 10:38 PM
When I saw this thread I had a sudden urge to build another Kenhi Bobcat CL stunt trainer like I crashed after a 1/2 circle flight in the late 40's. It had a Christmas present Fox .29 in the nose and I had a red plastic U-Reely handle. Nobody told me to hold my wrist steady and to raise and lower the handle as needed to keep plane on the level. At 81, with bad knees, I might get dizzy and fall down and get wound up in control lines but learning to fly electric powered CL would be fun. Link show ad for Kenhi CL Models.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/m...air-trails.jpg

Here's a link for RSM Distribution, the make a lot of model kits and supply everything needed for ECL.

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index.php
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 03, 2020 at 11:36 PM.
May 04, 2020, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
The Bobcat is a nice looking plane. Brodak is another big source for C/L products. I have one of their Zeros here that was started by a friend. It wouldn't take much to finish it up. Maybe once I get this done I'll think about it.

Andy
May 04, 2020, 09:31 AM
With RC, most of us basically fly in circles. Can't roll a CL model though. Maybe I could build a Bobcat and fly it by RC with a dummy Fox .29 cylinder and have it convertible to CL.

Just read that Mr Brodak has passed away, he will be sorely missed by many, not just hobbyists. Hope the family keeps the hobby business going.
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 04, 2020 at 10:07 PM.
May 05, 2020, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Can't roll a CL model though.
I wouldn't be so sure of that...
Mine will roll according to where I put it on the 70 ft. radius half hemisphere....

And yes it's electric... Used it at the 2016 WCh.
Now that I need to replace my batteries, I can't get any at all that: are fitting, not too heavy and have enough capacity.
In 4 years' time, new batteries seem to have become obese with ~ 20% weight gain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Maybe I could build a Bobcat and fly it by RC with a dummy Fox .29 cylinder and have it convertible to CL.
If all you'd want is flying in circles that would probably do. For anything else CL, converted RC models are bad news in general.
Take good care and stay on your feet! Fox .35 was my first 'big'engine:
Last edited by Bruno van Hoek; May 05, 2020 at 04:58 AM.
May 05, 2020, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno van Hoek
In 4 years' time, new batteries seem to have become obese with ~ 20% weight gain...
You must have fed them too many electrons

Quote:
If all you'd want is flying in circles that would probably do. For anything else CL, converted RC models are bad news in general.
I disagree. Below are videos of 3 of my originally C/L planes. The UMX-sized model is a Walt Musciano design from 1959 for Cox engines, the Stunt Trainer. It is the same size as the original. The changes made to it are replacing the flat sheet wing with built-up.

The second video is that same design scaled up to .25 size. The changes to it are lengthened nose moment (1"), lengthened tail moment (2.5"), and increase vertical stab area. All minor changes.

As you can see in the videos, both perform quite well in RC. I have also done a 1:1 of Goldberg Li'l Satan which only has equal wing panels (important!) and a larger vertical area. Yup, it's a handful!

Plans for all three are available on Outerzone. Kits for all three are available from Manzano Laser.

Andy

DSCF2045 (2 min 57 sec)

Stunt Trainer 25 Maiden Flight 2016-06-30 (0 min 0 sec)

Li'l Satan Maiden Flight 2015 02 28 (2 min 48 sec)

Quick Reply