Jan 27, 2017, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
No, Mike, thank YOU for reinforcing the idea!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2017, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
FINALLY! I can do a little work on the plane again.

The plans show a little triangular bracing for load bearing the bellcrank mounting plate to the spar.

This morning my friend Aaron came over and cut some balsa down to 3" width for me (I only get 4" wide any more). That allowed me to sheet the leading edge on the bottom.

I also drilled out the hole for the bellcrank mount, and cleaned up the old bellcrank I found in my C/L parts box.

Before I add the top sheeting I'll be installing shear web to the back side of the spars.

Andy
Jan 30, 2017, 09:23 AM
Back from vacation and got just a leetle bit of a start on the twister bash. Yes, that's a syringe of aliphatic, and of course CA to tack things here and there. I seem to be getting much slower as the birthdays go higher, and I don't mind the wait for aliphatic as much. Still thinking about the fuse. It will be lengthened substantially and of course reshaped with a long turtle deck 'ala fancher mods. I'm thinking maybe a stilleto or juno look for the tail.
Latest blog entry: blog
Jan 30, 2017, 10:30 AM
Andy,..read about you being one-armed for a whiles. First, I hope the recovery is going well. Second,.. my workshop, while very messy at the moment, is very well equiped and I could bend wire or other things if/when you need some help now or in the future. Also, my house is less than a mile from your office, in sawgrass
Latest blog entry: blog
Jan 30, 2017, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I emailed you.

It's good to see progress on your model.

Andy
Feb 01, 2017, 11:51 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
I converted my flitestreak to electric. Put on 95 gram motor, speed control and car receiver. I use the left hand to run the car transmitter throttle. It works great. Would run 4 second laps on 60' lines.

In the end I found i got dizzy from flying it.
Feb 01, 2017, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
The other day Gary graciously bent the legs for me. Perfect fit for me.

Right at this minute being made into a sandwich with the F2 formers.

Andy
Feb 04, 2017, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Over in Gary's Twister build thread he talks about the way he meticulously is working the bellcrank support.

I'm at the other extreme. This bellcrank is an antique, probably from my father's high school days. Stamped aluminum with brass bushing. Simple as can be!

I spoke with Bob Hunt about lead outs and he recommended .012 to .014 piano wire. I happen to have some .015, so that's what I"ll be using. They'll be fine for a small, light plane like this.

Andy
Feb 04, 2017, 08:28 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I bet it's a Fox, and your Dad drilled the two inner holes to meet his needs.
I see Tower no longer has any Fox Items.
I worked for Fox when I got out of the army in 1965. I made bullets and turn table
shafts. I did glow plug bodies for a while. I did bomb fuses for a time as well. I also
helped Duke install the air system in the plant on weekends.
Feb 04, 2017, 08:33 PM
Flying Models Plans
Hey, I've got one of those bell cranks somewhere, and did buy it when I was in high school. Now if I could just put my hands on it...
Feb 04, 2017, 09:03 PM
Gravity sucks.
Picked up my power 15 today.
Used a 3" bellcrank, brodak I think.
Finding soot for battery is tricky lol
Feb 05, 2017, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The guys flying nitro still set up for a 2/4 break. In electrics the governor function handles the load changes to provide consistent speed. I helped Bob Hunt with this when he went to the Worlds using electric the first time. The timer he used was actually a prototype for a product for Horizon that was never produced due to low interest. I still have a prototype on my desk at work. I did that before coming here full time.

Andy
You mean as in:
?
The first four pilots ever to fly F2B electric at a W. Ch. (2006)
By the way, on the right, that's me....

Because of, at that time, CC not supplying a combined governor/brake (helis don't really like that....), I resorted to a Kontronik Jazz ESC.
Made me the only one with a prop that didn't keep spinning after power down, hence enabling me flying my landing approach over the required full lap, just like the IC guys.

Too bad the governor slew rate was just about OK in the calm weather at those W.Ch., but it gave me fits in anything else.
After another year of experimenting I found the Czech TMM ESC giving me the best results, back then.
Still, I found this whole set up a bit underpowered in anything but perfect weather. The AXI 2826/10 was too much on it's toes.
Also, a constant revs (governor only) set up doesn't yield a constant flying speed throughout. It's way better than without any kind of load compensation, but goes counter productive when flying high and against the wind (example: lowest points of an overhead eight). The prop tends to spin up and the govenor shuts down power to prevent this. You will find the line tension dropping off to a point where things can turn ugly. The more wind, the worse. The lighter the plane, the stronger the effect, too.
The only way out is flying faster laptimes, so the drop off stays within safe margins.
But 5.0 is very fast to me. I'd rather fly 5.5, compromising at 5.2-5.3 now.

It's not all misery: up to 45 deg. : simple loops, horizontal eights, a well set governor improves 'roundness' considerably.
But in order to extend this above 45 deg., some sort of 'angular speed' management is mandatory.
Igor Burger developed a very good system with a G sensor that kicks up the motor when the rotational speed drops off. Too bad it only works with one type of ESC.
You can hear his system at work in this video:
European Championship CL 2013, Bekescsaba, HU, Igor Burger, final flight (5 min 44 sec)

The Jr. Peregrine looks to be similar sized to my Super Suppi from 1971 (Fox 35) ~60ft Laystrate lines
I used this model to make the transition from the our beginner pattern to full F2B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Over in Gary's Twister build thread he talks about the way he meticulously is working the bellcrank support.

I'm at the other extreme. This bellcrank is an antique, probably from my father's high school days. Stamped aluminum with brass bushing. Simple as can be!

I spoke with Bob Hunt about lead outs and he recommended .012 to .014 piano wire. I happen to have some .015, so that's what I"ll be using. They'll be fine for a small, light plane like this.

Andy
Go for the 4" spacing!

Bruno
Feb 05, 2017, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Bob mentioned you many times in conversation, Bruno.

Yesterday we were talking about timers and technology and how the new ones have gyros and accels to do the break. It's neat to consider how things change in order to stay the same.

15 or so years ago we were talking about a way to automatically score using them. The sensors and micros weren't up to the task back then. Today they are.

Andy
Feb 21, 2017, 09:31 PM
Gravity sucks.
I picked up an FM-2 timer by Brodak at the LHS.
Found out it only works properly on a Castle ESC programmed in "CL Governor" mode.
I was only getting 150-170 W on 3S , Power 15, 10-8. Reprogrammed more advanced timing, I'm at 275W or so ...equivelent of a .19 to .35? No room for 4S in fuse, so I have to get power somehow...larger prop perhaps....or more pitch.

Just a FYI
Feb 23, 2017, 12:56 PM
Gravity sucks.
Doing some sanding at work..slow day.

Quick Reply