E-C/L Build - Jr. Peregrine - RC Groups
Jan 09, 2017, 04:48 PM
Build Log

E-C/L Build - Jr. Peregrine

After about 30 years of no C/L, and nearly 40 since my last "serious" C/L model, this winter I decided (again, 5+ years running) to do something about it. This summer I helped Thayer get the Flying Models Plans Store back running, which meant I looked at every single model in the list at least twice. Good thing I was low on cash, or I'd have one of just about everything...

One C/L plane in particular caught my eye - the Jr. Peregrine for a .15. It was the right size (ie, I already had most everything), simple construction, and nice appearance.

I am caught up with other things I need to do, so the time had finally arrived. Yesterday after church I started putting the components into CAD. This afternoon I finished and cut a set on the laser. Why? Well, first off I expect I'll be building another due to slightly-rusty reflexes, and secondly because I just had rotator cuff surgery and I'm doing almost everything one-handed. And it makes my shop smell good

I will be doing everything pretty much per the plans. Deviations are to use electric power and home-made wooden wheels. I will also be using cap strips on the ribs. They look better under the covering.

So I start off tonight with a photo of the parts and plans.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2017, 07:27 PM
Gravity sucks.
Looks simpler than the molded fuse Hurricane ancient kit Im working on!
Jan 09, 2017, 07:29 PM
Gravity sucks.
Tinkering with the " other" project too, and the Hurri, building Mikes 51, and stripping down the Sig Cobra for a recover.
Last edited by mrittinger; Jan 09, 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Jan 09, 2017, 07:36 PM
But you have two hands!

Andy
Jan 10, 2017, 04:13 PM
Gravity sucks.
Still working on the Hurri, the 262, Mikes '51, and stripping the Sog Kobra for a mu h needed recovering.
Have a health issue at the moment, might be slow moving for a bit,hope you understand.
Jan 10, 2017, 05:02 PM
Are you gonig to do a thread for the Hurricane? We'd all love to see it.

What are you doing to Mike's mustang? This is the captured one, right? That was pretty nice.

Get better. I can relate!

Andy
Jan 10, 2017, 05:44 PM
Fuse doublers have been added. I used 1/32" ply from nose to mid-wing, and 1/8" lit ply from F2 to firewall, with the firewall captured by the 1/8 doubler.

While the epoxy was curing there, I started on the wing.

Andy
Jan 10, 2017, 07:51 PM
The fuse sides are parallel for the full length, rather than the more frequent taper. This makes assembly super easy.

The firewall has tabs which extend into the 1/8" ply doubler. They are offset 1/32" to give a very slight out-thrust on the lines. F1 is spaced as far forward as possible while still allowing the motor to go in. The forward position allows more room for ESC and timer.

The rear formers F3 and F4 are added per the plans. At this time F4 is solid top-to-bottom. We'll need to remove a little when we slide the stab in. For now, this gives us a little more rigidity.

F2 was not added yet. I need to bend gear wires and attach then first, and assembly on the board for straightness precludes legs sticking out the bottom!

Andy
Jan 10, 2017, 08:29 PM
Gravity sucks.
Mike wanted it enlarged to 48" after he flew his through a windmill at the field. So hes doing one,and Im doing one. He has thread.
No thread on Hurricane,yet. Maybe once its framed up.
I figure Power 15 on 3s, 42" span on 60' lines.
262 will creep along.
Im having a little health issue at the moment .
Jan 11, 2017, 01:44 PM
Mark, my gut says that's not enough power.

The LE was added last night, and the TE is drying now.

I have a bunch of little things left over from eons ago when I last flew CL, plus a few I've picked up from when Horizon had the big PT-19. That wood handle is at least 40 years old. The blue U-Reely inside was my father's from the mid 1950's.

I was surprised at how many memories were inside that old flight box. I remember when Dad made it. It's all hot-glued together, from back when hot glue was a new thing. The polyurethane finish is still good, just a little dusty.

Wow. Memories and smells that I hope to hang onto...

Andy
Jan 11, 2017, 02:02 PM
Gravity sucks.
Well, it flew on a early 60s .19 to .35.

The power 15 can put out good power..we have 2 of them flying Mikes 8 foot span 10 lb DC3.

I figure if 3S isnt enough, ill pop up to 4S. I might consider a power 25 low kv, but i have to find power output numbers for a Vintage Fox .35 and do some math.

Your bird looking good.
Jan 11, 2017, 02:11 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~philcarti...s/Fox35HP.html

Looks like you want 8-9K RPM with a 10x6.

E-Calc says a Power 15 is right there. Looks like a great place to start after all.

Andy
Jan 11, 2017, 02:12 PM
Looks like we turned up the same link at the same time.
Jan 11, 2017, 02:16 PM
Gravity sucks.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4015A

Up to 575W, 4s most likely. Fox 35 was .5 hp, so really, its not far off. Remember, this was designed to fly on a .19 to .35, so thats upper end of power.
Now, if you get a P25 for price of a P15, you may want to move up.
Im willing to try the P15 first though, seems like a good match.