BAT-SAFE - The Lipo Charging Solution - RC Groups

BAT-SAFE - The Lipo Charging Solution

The lipo charging solution - Worth MORE than any insurance.

Splash

BAT-SAFE has a new solution for safe and confident lipo charging.

As batteries and chargers are getting more and more powerful and more and more people are getting into the hobby, the odds of battery accidents are increasing by the second. Tom Mast who is an aviation engineer, innovator and drone enthusiast teamed up with manufacturer Mike Binder (Roban) to create a solution to help with safely charging and storing Lipo batteries. The BAT-SAFE is a 12x9x7 inch insulated box designed to house the batteries during vulnerable times. This isolated double walled steel box can hold up to 12S 5000 mAh batteries. The charger stays outside the box, as your batteries are separated and placed inside away from danger of a lipo fire if something bad were to happen.

For more information on the new BAT-SAFE click here.

Info

• Charge and store up to 12S 5Ah (222Wh)
  • 12x9x7 inches storage area

BAT-SAFE (3 min 5 sec)

Last edited by ndfly700; Jan 09, 2017 at 04:41 PM..
Jan 10, 2017, 01:28 PM
Lipoly Killer
I have one and it is great!
Jan 10, 2017, 01:43 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Looks like a well design product. Is it steel lined inside?.. if so that might be a bit of an oversight as causing shorts while connecting and disconnecting might be an issue.

Personally i'd need a bigger version, suitcase size to suit my parallel charging requirements!
Jan 13, 2017, 07:25 PM
I have one and it works great.
Jan 14, 2017, 12:10 PM
killickb
Having approx 60 "large, high density" packs of which 15 are 6 x 5000, 12 are 4 x 4000 and 6 are 5 x 5000 , I need safe storage not safe charge capability as I do that, usually in parallel, in my driveway or at the field. With an internal size of 9.5 x 6.5 x 4, I estimate I could safely store 6 packs per Bat-Safe. At $49 a pop not an inexpensive investment required.

My other thought is what happens with six packs stored in this box and one goes off ? Will it contain the fire/smoke ?

As it turns out a friend had a Lipo fire in his garage just last week ---was on a charge cycle but don't know the details yet -- major house damage was water damage from the Fire Dep't. Estimate three months before he can move back in.
Jan 14, 2017, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Having approx 60 "large, high density" packs of which 15 are 6 x 5000, 12 are 4 x 4000 and 6 are 5 x 5000 , I need safe storage not safe charge capability as I do that, usually in parallel, in my driveway or at the field. With an internal size of 9.5 x 6.5 x 4, I estimate I could safely store 6 packs per Bat-Safe. At $49 a pop not an inexpensive investment required.

My other thought is what happens with six packs stored in this box and one goes off ? Will it contain the fire/smoke ?

As it turns out a friend had a Lipo fire in his garage just last week ---was on a charge cycle but don't know the details yet -- major house damage was water damage from the Fire Dep't. Estimate three months before he can move back in.
Barry,

I am using 30mm steel ammo cans for storage, with up to 6 big packs in a can. Theory is that a fire would be extinguished due to lack of air.
Jan 15, 2017, 07:06 AM
MK
MK
I think lipo fires can burn without air.
Jan 15, 2017, 09:38 AM
Super BRO Bro..........Bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer-Ron
Barry,

I am using 30mm steel ammo cans for storage, with up to 6 big packs in a can. Theory is that a fire would be extinguished due to lack of air.
Not only do lipos supply their own oxygen, if you have the seals in those cans you have made a pretty powerful bomb.
Jan 16, 2017, 06:24 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer-Ron
Barry,

You need to drill a few holes in the bottom of your cans, otherwise they are a bomb waiting to explode, and Lipos do NOT need air to continue to burn.
Jan 16, 2017, 09:21 PM
Eye in the Sky
well truth is Lipo fires have decreased...not increased over the years....even with larger batts from what i have read

I saw a video of someone who used simple plasterboard and it did an excellent job when a battery was intentionally set ablaze inside it .

they made their own battery storage unit to house all their batteries in, even when charging.

Mine are all stored in Lipo safe bags and in metal containers and no they are not sealed...
Jan 17, 2017, 08:43 AM
MK
MK
I made my own box where I put my ammo box in. A box within a box. The material I use is cement board from Home Depot. Basically sheet rock like sheet made with concrete. Typically use in wet areas like shower stalls, bath tub walls, etc. You can cut it with a circular or table saw (use carbide tipped blade).

Then I use high temperate caulking/adhesive to glue the walls together. It's a 3M product used for fireplaces.
Jan 17, 2017, 11:29 AM
Certified pre-owned @mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
I made my own box where I put my ammo box in. A box within a box. The material I use is cement board from Home Depot. Basically sheet rock like sheet made with concrete. Typically use in wet areas like shower stalls, bath tub walls, etc. You can cut it with a circular or table saw (use carbide tipped blade).

Then I use high temperate caulking/adhesive to glue the walls together. It's a 3M product used for fireplaces.
This sounds like a tile guy talking
Jan 20, 2017, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves
Not only do lipos supply their own oxygen, if you have the seals in those cans you have made a pretty powerful bomb.
This! I do an ammo can as well. I left the seals in because it closes much snappier that way. I did however drill a couple venting holes into the box.

I think it cannot prevent a fire. It might prevent the hoiuse catching fire though while it is spitting smoke until you notice something gone horribly wrong.
They are very cheap and come with a convenient carrying handle too.
Jan 20, 2017, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
This! I do an ammo can as well. I left the seals in because it closes much snappier that way. I did however drill a couple venting holes into the box.

I think it cannot prevent a fire. It might prevent the hoiuse catching fire though while it is spitting smoke until you notice something gone horribly wrong.
exactly, they are not meant to stop a lipo fire, but rather contain it and vent the gases safely.

infact i think these are even better used outside for added safety
Jan 20, 2017, 09:33 AM
Super BRO Bro..........Bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse

What country's cans are you using?

Im undecided whether to use a Fat 50 or a 30cal can.

What I want to do is chip out one side of a square cinder block, put a sheet of celluloid on top with a whole block on top of that filled with sand.

If a lipo catches fire it will ignite the celluloid, that will burn away and drop the sand on the battery.

In any case, whatever you do put a smoke detector over your bench.