Gary, Work Saturday for me, no playtime. Hope you heal quick

Lee
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2017, 12:40 AM
I'm in for OLY saturday
Jun 16, 2017, 01:21 PM
Matt Haugh

PSSF Field is looking great

The PSSF field is freshly mowed and ready for tomorrow. The weather forecast still looks great, with highs expected to be around 70. The food team is ready to grill up some delicious lunch. I'm looking forward to my first go as CD with whomever can make it to Olympia.
Jun 16, 2017, 01:29 PM
iVoid Warranties
Hopefully the bad elevator servo jinx does not attend this contest..
Now the question is does the CD like cookies....
Jun 16, 2017, 02:25 PM
Matt Haugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghedgehogs
Now the question is does the CD like cookies....
Jun 16, 2017, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy
The PSSF field is freshly mowed and ready for tomorrow. The weather forecast still looks great, with highs expected to be around 70. The food team is ready to grill up some delicious lunch. I'm looking forward to my first go as CD with whomever can make it to Olympia.
Just to be clear, the entire 35 acres is freshly cut. makes for a very different flying experience.
Jun 16, 2017, 04:24 PM
Rick Rogahn
that is pretty cool
Jun 16, 2017, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper
that is pretty cool
It really is. We just gotta have everyone down some time after the hay farmer spreads chicken jobbies. It's unbelievable. Blisters paint on the cars.
Jun 16, 2017, 06:30 PM
Hi - I'm the Chris G that bought Ken's storm.

First of all, I'd like to thank Burton and Ken for all the advice and for helping to get me set up with my first DLG (and first glider in probably 25 years).

Got the tx program uploaded and got out to 60 acres after work. It was windy, nerve-racking flying, but I got it up in the air and even tried launching with the wing peg a few times.

Here's a short video of a throw:
https://instagram.com/p/BVaymEpFTjIK...13RdWrryWYy80/

Now I can't wait to get back out there next Wednesday.

Looking forward to meeting more of you and picking up some pointers to help my flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse
We met ChrisG and Pete out at 60A today. I got both of them to try flying one of my DLGs, you know just enough to get them hooked.

Chris was there to meet up with Ken and ended up picking up a nice Storm and a new TX from him!
Jun 16, 2017, 06:47 PM
Delete - double post
Last edited by Cromo900; Jun 17, 2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Double post
Jun 16, 2017, 06:52 PM
plays with toy planes
All freshly mown...and now I learn I can't make it Saturday. Gary, one less for lunch and sorry for the false alarm. Matt, soon. Have a great contest!
Jun 16, 2017, 09:52 PM
Matt Haugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry d
All freshly mown...and now I learn I can't make it Saturday. Gary, one less for lunch and sorry for the false alarm. Matt, soon. Have a great contest!
We were looking forward to having you down. Next time!
Jun 18, 2017, 12:30 PM
Matt Haugh

Oly 1 Scores

Attached is a table of scores from yesterday. I went ahead and factored in a drop round, which moved Chris ahead of Michael and Owen ahead of Ray. I did fix one tabulation error on a card that had no effect on standings.

Thanks everyone for coming out to what turned out to be a pretty typical Oly day, with conditions ranging from super lifty to wow sink land out --often switching in what seemed like seconds.

I've learned that there appears to be a bug in the scoring software that renders it incapable of reseeding on a Mac. This explains our problems yesterday, but doesn't quite get to why we thought it was working fine at home. Clearly our testing protocols are...suspect.

Looking forward to the next contest. I'll either use a PC for scoring, or Oleg will have the app fixed.
Last edited by hoffboy; Jun 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Table munged by RCG unreliable UX
Jun 18, 2017, 02:11 PM
Thanks to the Oly crew for a allowing us another opportunity to gather and gaggle.
Not much time to take any pictures with only 2 flight groups though.
We'll have to wait on Lawrence's take on the day, but that was some of the most difficult, inconsistent
air without many reads that I have ever competed in.
While timing for Chris (congrats on moving ahead of me, where you belong, after the toss out) one time
I mentioned that this was the type of day that if I were fun flying I'd go home after 3 tosses!
But, we persevered and had a fun time of it.
Thanks to Matt's in-laws for the feast at lunch and all those cookies from others.
Jun 18, 2017, 06:59 PM
Oly to bed and Oly to rise make a person healthy, Oly and wise!

It'd be interesting to bottle the magic of an Oly contest and sprinkle a little of it at other events around the country. I'm sure everyone has a favorite field, a field with quirks and challenges, rip roaring hurt and soaring grace. The Oly field is special. Unseen but not far away, the waters of the Puget Sound can sneak a sea-breeze into an otherwise sunny day. Trees border the west endge of a rolling putting green launch area, daring you to chase the lift going over and behind them. Hills and hollers create sun and shadow and spin the air along their contours. The wind can rip through with thundershowers, or the air can be as fluffy as a feather pillow and everything in between. Tight quarters demand attention for landings, especially when returning up wind into the rising landing area.

And who can pass up an Oly dog on the grill?

The weather Saturday was a high overcast, with a few sunbreaks. A ring was conspicuously around the sun for part of the day. Early on the wind was out of the SW, and pre contest lift was - surprise - not super strong. Later the wind shifted to come from the east, and we got some light rain in the last round, and a few gusts at lunch time. It wasn't hot and it wasn't cold. It was, shall we say, just right.

The lift varied from light to moderate, but tended to be localized, with low level bubbles surrounded by sink. Often it was turbulent, with a few strong wind shifts. A half turn could end with a soggy stall as you flew through a sharp boundary from lift to sink, or flip a plane up on it's side. It could also be really flat, or at least seem that way as you dodged back and forth trying to find one of those bubbles.

11 pilots participated Saturday, with a sizeable proportion of juniors and new pilots. PSSF makes a special point of supporting juniors in DLG and Oly contests are welcoming, relaxed and friendly. The hedgehogs showed up bearing cookies, while Owen was there to sharpen his skills for the upcoming F3K world championships.

Round 1 - 5x2
The sunny disposition award has to go to Eric EEEEAGLE. This was his first contest and he soaked it up, honing thermal turns in the narrow bands of lift and remaining a cool customer while I flitted around with way too many suggestions. The lift wasn't booming for me in the first round with scratches and saves over the bowl.

Round 2 - 1,2,3,4
Eric timed for me. The Bowl to the N kept up the surprises with scratchable blobs of lift. They were small and required aggressive flying to stay in, but they tended to grow until things got smoother and bigger back by Lister road.

Round 3 - 3x200 (3:20)
Pretty sure I timed for Karl, flying his Elf. He stretched his comfort zone to go across the field to the NW treeline and pushed hard to get back. The Elf will penetrate better than you might think. Didn't quite make it back in - but was only a couple of feet short. Don't give up!

Dan N. timed for me in this one. Boy is Dan fun to fly with. He really knows this field and can see things I never would have noticed. He pointed out that there's often broken up lift off the S end of the runway, in the corner were the two treelines intersect, even when the wind is coming from the E, through the trees. Sure enough I got two decent flights there. One I pressed really hard up wind into the S treeline and then went back along the E treeline. That seemed to make Dan happy. =)

Round 4 - Best 3 of six, three max

The wind started really shifting E for part of this one. In pre-round throws my plane keep looping like I put it in thermal flapsIn p by accident, but it did it again, and I started worrying about elevators.. but it was flying OK otherwise and then I started realizing I was throwing downwind into windshear! Ended up a little weird because I guess everbody got six launches quickly and I was the was the last one flying.

Round 5 - Big Ladder
Wind came up after lunch, and one gust did some damage to one of Eric's planes in the back of his truck. I decided to put in some ballast, but I think that was a mistake. The lift just wasn't that strong and slow tight turning, low sink flying was needed more than running. Or I need more practice with the ballast.

Round 6 - Last 2x4

The first group struggled with this, then we looked up to see Eric's backup plane specked out far to the north, taking home a 1000 in his first contest. Ain't soaring grand? I'm not sure, but I think this was the only 4 minute flight in either group for last 2x4!

As for the second group, I waited a bit to launch, though I had a good read but only squeaked out a 2:29. When I got back there was a gaggle up to the S, but as I watched they slowly started to sink out, with Chris hanging on valiantly. I thought the wind had shifted towards the trees and as I heard Chris say he'd gotten a 1:40-something, I went for it hoping that there was something higher up. Everybody else had gotten there two flights so I was up by myself and managed to hang on for just over 2. Humbling that the winning flights were 2:29 and 2:19! Hats off again to Eric.

Round 7 - Best 3 of 6, three max

Dan timed for me again. Struggled early but got the treeline for one 3 and floated the last one in at the buzzer. Whew!

In addition to the usual collection of birds - there were a few swallows out there, and some eagles, and some blue herons (not really soaring birds, i guess). A B-25 flew over, and we heard the distant growl of a Merlin from the Olympia fly in.

And of course, the OLY DOGs. We had a FINE repast of pulled pork, baked beans, german sausage and/or hot dogs, potato salad. Not to mention catered coffee and donuts and many attempts at bribery with cookies.

On a personal note, this is my first contest win, so I'm pretty happy. =)

So a big thanks to Matt for doing the CD work and his family for the food. We missed seeing Russ and Gary, and everyone was thinking of Roy - get well soon!

Quick Reply