Oct 09, 2019, 02:37 PM
Funny, I just had an inexplicable servo loss not too long ago. A Hitec HS-311 that failed after less than an hour of use as a throttle servo. I guess I didn't feel like contacting support over a $9 servo. I suspect that is the support model of a lot of companies these days.

*This isn't meant as a dig at Emax, Wayne, Hitec or anyone in the thread. Just an observation.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2019, 12:55 PM
Yeah, that has certainly crossed our thoughts, perhaps we just are not hearing about issues as they are pretty low priced to start with. We certainly hear about issues when the servo prices are high.
Oct 10, 2019, 07:09 PM
Damage is expected
Folks tend to squeak a bit when they get a bad run of servos even if they are cheap and it wipes out their plane. I'm thinking of going all metal gears on even my cheapest planes as I've broken a few recently on hard landings. They are a pain to dig out...
Oct 10, 2019, 07:23 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnekid
Folks tend to squeak a bit when they get a bad run of servos even if they are cheap and it wipes out their plane. I'm thinking of going all metal gears on even my cheapest planes as I've broken a few recently on hard landings. They are a pain to dig out...
If your putting them in a foamie, just wrap them with masking tape and hot glue them in. When you need to remove them, just pour a little denatured alcohol around the edges and they'll pop right out.
Oct 10, 2019, 07:36 PM
Damage is expected
/s all of my alcohol is natured /s
Oct 10, 2019, 07:45 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Booze will work too...
Oct 10, 2019, 08:14 PM
The problem around here is the masking tape becomes a slimey mess in the heat. I like to use a big piece of heat shrink if I am worried about removal. The potting method like used on the Moth is great on EPP.
Oct 10, 2019, 09:36 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Have you tried this? https://alofthobbies.com/pvc-shrink-tubing.html You can rough it up with sandpaper or a Scotch-Brite for the glue side...
Oct 10, 2019, 09:37 PM
I have not, have some stuff that is similar.
Oct 10, 2019, 09:48 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Works great if you build your own battery packs or want to remove a receiver from it's case.
Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 PM
Thanks all for the feedback.

I personally always use metal gear digitals except for VERY TINY airframes where weight is CRITICAL. And I rarely build something like that. I can't recall the last time I stripped a servo without good cause.

(I tend to be that guy that wrecks stuff when transporting the planes to the flying field. )
Oct 27, 2019, 07:14 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Will Aloft be offering the 1.7 Tom? I don't see it on the website.
Oct 27, 2019, 07:57 AM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
It's on the site, but it's backordered

https://alofthobbies.com/aircraft/gliders/blejzyk.html
Oct 27, 2019, 08:39 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Thanks! I was searching under electric gliders and only saw the 1.5. I hope it gets back in stock soon or by the holidays!

Quick Reply