Wayne Giles' ESR Meter is back in production - RC Groups
Jan 07, 2017, 12:40 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Discussion

Wayne Giles' ESR Meter is back in production

Wayne is working into (past) retirement and has handed his ESR meter production and sales to me.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=125

This meter is still using the design by Wayne Giles, software written by Phil Green and calculations like used in the Lipoly Objective Performance Calculation Tool http://jj604.com/LiPoTool/ developed by RC Groups members John Julian (JJ604) and Mark Forsyth (mrforsyth).

For those that don't know this, Wayne's ESR meter is the most accurate meter and the golden standard of testing true Internal Resistance (IR) of each cell in a lipo pack. Don't believe the stated C ratings on a Lipo pack, most of the time this is at least double the actual C rating. The reason I took up building this meter is because it is just too good to die. I have purchased enough of most materials to build 1000 of these so rest assured, I am into this for the long haul.

Since I purchased my first ESR meter from Wayne when he first released them for sale several years ago I have never damaged a lipo pack by discharging it too fast. I know that a pack with the weakest testing cell showing a 75 amp constant draw will deliver just that, 75 amps through the length of discharge down to about 70% of it's current capacity.

I now use XT-60 connectors on the main battery lead as most new packs come with this connector. You will need to provide an adapter to your connector/connectors of choice.
I also put a quick start guide and a slightly edited version of Wayne's UNIVERSAL LIPO ESR METER INSTRUCTION sheet.

I have attached these pages in .pdf and also the label sheet as there have been complaints of these aging from usage over time. I print onto AVERY 22822 Clear Glossy Rectangular Labels but many have had success just printing onto paper and covering this with clear shipping tape.

One should note that the meters can only handle up to a 6S pack. If you connect a 7S or higher pack IT WILL DAMAGE THE METER as the components inside are rated up to 30 volts. Of all people, I connected my original meter to an 8S pack a few months ago and guess what? Magic smoke. Actually just a quiet pop of the fuse. On the meters that I build, the repair is usually just a new fuse available from any automotive parts store and a new FQP50N06L MOSFET http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...12%2dFQP50N06L and an end user can easily replace these with a bit if common sense and decent soldering skills. I can sell you these parts if you want to try to fix your meter yourself but there is no guarantee it will fix your meter but the odds are it will if you connected your meter to a 7S or higher pack. Otherwise, it is best to send your meter back to me and I will fix it for a flat fee. (Cost is still TBD but shipping both ways will probably exceed my repair costs)
NOTE: Per email from Wayne, this is ONLY for the current meter, not the earlier versions. I do not have all parts for the earlier revision meters.

My main outlet for these is Progressive RC http://www.progressiverc.com/univers...sis-meter.html as they have been very loyal to Wayne and I. I can sell directly to anyone is the USA if you wish but the price is the same to you. Their picture shows a T connector but remember, my meters come with XT-60's.
I can be contacted here via PM or via email at rampman@fmxramps.com or text me at 480-213-6152.

Wayne will still fill orders outside the USA until his present stock runs out. After that I will ship worldwide.

About me. At my 9-5 I build, manage and repair horizontal and vertical thermal reactor diffusion controllers used in the semiconductor, solar and diamond growing industries.
I am pretty much a one man operation now, down from 8 engineers at our peak years when we were designing and enhancing this and other products. The main product is a cash cow but with revenue of 3-4 million a year, it is far from dead.
My failure rate in my busiest years was 0.063% and this is the main reason I prefer to do as much as possible myself. Having worked in the field installing these controllers and having close to a 15% out of box failure rate, well, let's just say that I HATE FAILURES.
Working in the automotive electrical industry and semiconductor industries enabled me to build what I believe to be the first parallel board used in our hobby back in 2007. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...xpansion-board
I also designed a prop and shaft saver used on 3mm threaded shafts for brushless motors. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...04&postcount=1
Oh, have you ever watched the crazy motorcycles riders on X-Games? Those ramp designs had to come from somewhere. My 2 oldest sons and I revolutionized the FMX Ramp industry by designing the first elliptical FMX ramp and the design was so good the International Freestyle Motorcycle Association (IFMA) adapted my ramp designs for all of their live IFMA FMX competitions and shows. http://fmxramps.com/

Rick
Last edited by rampman; Jan 24, 2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Clarified that I cannot fix earlier versions of meters
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2017, 01:44 PM
Ah ha, now the rampman makes sense.
Jan 07, 2017, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
Ah ha, now the rampman makes sense.
What to you mean "now"? Rick has always made sense. There are less than ten guys on RCG that I always believe and Rick is right up there.

BTW Rick, thanks for stepping up and taking over the ESR. I have a couple but it's good to know that if I ever need service it is nearby.

Glen
Jan 07, 2017, 10:37 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
He is correlating rampman with my building freestyle Motocross ramps. He never understood the correlation.

Cheers, Rick
Jan 08, 2017, 06:52 AM
Exactly.

Rick has definitely made a lot of sense. He's a 'go to' resource for me, for sure.
Jan 08, 2017, 07:10 AM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Always wanted one of these but could not get past the kludgy button pushing thing.
Jan 11, 2017, 12:29 AM

Wrong Thread!

Oops
Posted in wrong thread.
Sep 11, 2017, 05:10 PM
On the ol' Interweb
I don't own a WG ESR meter. I looked quickly on RCG but didn't find operating instructions. Does this meter give a calculated C rating no matter what state of charge, or does the battery have to be sitting at a certain voltage? Just curious.
Sep 11, 2017, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazRC
I don't own a WG ESR meter. I looked quickly on RCG but didn't find operating instructions. Does this meter give a calculated C rating no matter what state of charge, or does the battery have to be sitting at a certain voltage? Just curious.

The meter will give a conservative "C" rating based on the "Lipotool" calculator. As the result is derived from the cell IR value it is slightly affected , up to about 5% say, by the state of charge of the pack. This is because the IR is a fraction higher at storage charge than it is at full charge. A pack temperature of 22*C (72*F) is more important in producing accurate figures than state of charge.
If the pack is discharged, then the IR values and "C" rating become meaningless as there is no energy left to deliver so that the voltage will collapse during the measurement pulse. This only applies to a completely discharged pack.

Wayne
Sep 11, 2017, 05:32 PM
ancora imparo

Oops we posted at the same time.

IR varies very little with SOC as long as the battery is over 10-20%. It does however vary significantly with temperature.

In practice it is recommended to always make measurements at a standard temperature and the same SOC. Full charge is the obvious standard but some people like to do their IR measurements on packs at storage voltage 3.85V for convenience.

The number suggested for the C rating is a conservative one and assumes measurement of a fully charged pack at 72℉.

Attached is graph of measured IR vs. SOC. There is some temperature variation due to pack heating and ambient variation. Wayne has measured similar results, and not all curves are the same but all show a fairly steady value and a minimum one if the pack is at least 80% charged. IR is a minimum at full charge and there is some fluctuation in the graph, but the variation is small over most of the range.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazRC