Spedix Black Knight 210 FPV Racing Quadcopter - Page 51 - RC Groups
Sep 09, 2017, 10:16 PM
I've just fitted an FX799T 600mw, not expensive. Very happy with it, doesn't get hot like the stock speedix 200mw. It runs off 7~12 v and comes with a voltage limiter in the kit. As suggested, this went straight on the the battery terminals and into VTx power. Keeps a steady 12v max. It's same size roughly as the stock VTx, but doesn't have the LED and button of the stock. It uses tiny LED lights to indicate band and channel. A button allows for a long press for band change, short press for channel change. It's hard to access the button once installed, so you would need to set your band/channel before you close it all up. Would make changing channels pretty impossible once in the frame, but I only fly on one band and one channel and have no need to change. I have found that using the lowest or second lowest Boscam 5.8 channel frequency has worked best for me over the years (5665/5645)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyforfood
What is a good VTX that will replace the old one (and fit with a button and digital display on the same side) ? I have 2 quads, this and an echine wizard. My reception and range is so much better on that other one (Foxeer VTX). Wondering if it's only 25 watts now. The pic is very clear and good when it's good. When it breaks up it's suddenly bad and sometimes rolls. Same antenna on both machines. I really thought getting Aomway antenna would help.. Really didn't make a difference.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2017, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek
I've just fitted an FX799T 600mw, not expensive. Very happy with it, doesn't get hot like the stock speedix 200mw. It runs off 7~12 v and comes with a voltage limiter in the kit. As suggested, this went straight on the the battery terminals and into VTx power. Keeps a steady 12v max. It's same size roughly as the stock VTx, but doesn't have the LED and button of the stock. It uses tiny LED lights to indicate band and channel. A button allows for a long press for band change, short press for channel change. It's hard to access the button once installed, so you would need to set your band/channel before you close it all up. Would make changing channels pretty impossible once in the frame, but I only fly on one band and one channel and have no need to change. I have found that using the lowest or second lowest Boscam 5.8 channel frequency has worked best for me over the years (5665/5645)
Do you think I could drill a hole to make the button accessible.

I'm going to try the 200 mw version and hope I can make the button accessible. I should be able to match to a channel since I can read the channel on my goggles (have Furious receiver).
Last edited by flyforfood; Sep 10, 2017 at 07:23 AM.
Sep 10, 2017, 08:09 AM
Quote:

I'm going to try the 200 mw version and hope I can make the button accessible. I should be able to match to a channel since I can read the channel on my goggles (have Furious receiver).
I had the same problem replacing the stock Spedix VTX. No other brands match the access hole layout on the frame.
I have a pile of dead VTX s , besides the stock ones, TBS unify , Foxeer, ..... always an issue , maybe me? - crashing? - pluggging in w/o antenna?
i like the Rush vtx , but it mounts on the FC stack. I replaced the Spedix FC with a CLracing f4 , so jts a perfect place.
I did have to drill a hole in the top plate, under battery, to see the led channel readout.- it flashes the 4 digit channel-direct reading!
has 2 easy to access buttons,1 for channel & 1 for power/ pit mode. Easy when your at a group event to change. Plus most groups require 25mw.

What ever kind you get, make sure it has a pigtail type antenna coupler. = more forgiving in a crash, & it dose not rip the terminal off the VTX ,on the direct connect ones.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...2x2M1JPQ2x4U3c

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...XZaN3dSMUlyd1E
Sep 10, 2017, 04:52 PM
Yes, you could drill a hole for the button no problem. The VTx does move around a bit, depending on how you mount it, but your hole could be big enough to allow for sideways movement. Just looking at mine now and you can almost reach the button through the ex-LED rectangle channel hole, maybe enough to change channels etc.

I'm pretty sure there's a version of this VTx with a pigtail antenna attachment (great idea I didn't even think about), just need to search a bit.

Quote:

Sep 10, 2017, 08:07 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:

If you have success installing a FX799 with access to the switches, please let us know. I have that VTx already, but wasn't going to try installing it until this winter, since my stock (overheating) VTx didn't burn up this summer.
Sep 11, 2017, 07:11 PM
I'll check it again tonight Knight Owl - it could be the mic I can see as opposed to the channel button. Will let you know if button can be accessed through existing LED hole, it's no where near the existing button hole for the stock, I know that. Mind you, opening it up the LED hole a bit to reach the button shouldn't be a big deal and won't compromise anything. Dremel time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl
If you have success installing a FX799 with access to the switches, please let us know. I have that VTx already, but wasn't going to try installing it until this winter, since my stock (overheating) VTx didn't burn up this summer.
Sep 12, 2017, 09:11 PM
Hi Night Owl

Seems the FX799T channel button is well hidden once the VTx is installed and antenna port run through the rear locating bracket. I've attached a pic showing roughly where the button is. I still think you could drill a hole for access to the button. Fortunately, you can see the selection LED's through the existing LED hole.

Quote:
Sep 12, 2017, 09:25 PM

Satellite/Tx Question

Just installed the SPM4648 DSMX FPV racing receiver/satellite in place of the stock satellite. Got lots of antenna length for good diversity positioning. Auto bind, no problem.

BUT

The instructions for this Rx state the Tx must support 11ms Frame Rate (which mine does), yet when it bound to my DX8, it bound DSMX/22ms Frame Rate (as per the stock). If I go into Tx system and change it to 11ms, it warns that 11ms requires digital servos. Are the ESC's seen as servos in this scenario?? Obviously on my S250Pro, I'm, not running digital ESC's like the BK's

Should I just leave it at 22ms Frame Rate as that is how it was bound by my Tx?? - I suspect it checks for digital servos during the bind procedure.

I could just go and fly it and see, but would prefer some comments on this if anyone is up on this subject.

TIA
Sep 13, 2017, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Just installed the SPM4648 DSMX FPV racing receiver/satellite in place of the stock satellite. Got lots of antenna length for good diversity positioning. Auto bind, no problem.

BUT

The instructions for this Rx state the Tx must support 11ms Frame Rate (which mine does), yet when it bound to my DX8, it bound DSMX/22ms Frame Rate (as per the stock). If I go into Tx system and change it to 11ms, it warns that 11ms requires digital servos. Are the ESC's seen as servos in this scenario?? Obviously on my S250Pro, I'm, not running digital ESC's like the BK's

Should I just leave it at 22ms Frame Rate as that is how it was bound by my Tx?? - I suspect it checks for digital servos during the bind procedure.

I could just go and fly it and see, but would prefer some comments on this if anyone is up on this subject.

TIA
Rebind it at 11ms. The esc's don't care!!
Sep 13, 2017, 11:34 AM
The SPM4648 will go into auto bind mode by default. This mode will determine the settings (dsm2 or dsmx 11ms or 22ms) based on the transmitter and downstream information ie no digital servos.

To properly bind the SPM4648 in a quad environment you can either bind through a full size spektrum receiver or use the flight controller spektrum satellite bind commands.

If you are still using the naze board that came with your bk210 you can't use the flight controller as naze boards do not work with the satellite bind commands which is why the stock satellite had a bind button on it.
Sep 13, 2017, 04:03 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:
Hi Night Owl

Seems the FX799T channel button is well hidden once the VTx is installed and antenna port run through the rear locating bracket. I've attached a pic showing roughly where the button is. I still think you could drill a hole for access to the button. Fortunately, you can see the selection LED's through the existing LED hole.
Wow. Interesting how the LEDs align so well with the existing cutout. That's kinda nice, since cutting just one hole for the button should be pretty easy. That's encouraging. Thanks for sharing!
Sep 13, 2017, 04:08 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Naterade & Crash -- Thanks for the info. I also wasn't sure about 11 vs 22ms compatibility on these quads. And I generally bind using a full size Rx, but didn't even know it's not an option to do it thru the NAZE. Good to know!
Sep 13, 2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys.

As Crashaccepted basically said, it won't auto bind - just sits there flashing. And no, there's no bind button.

So I used the conventional method of holding down my DX8 bind button and turning on the Tx - the Rx then bound fine on its own (no button - maybe why they call it autobind, doh.) selecting DSMX/22ms. (as per the stock unit)

After some research, this receiver will work fine at 22 or 11ms - it stipulates that the Tx must support 11ms, but that's basically so you can use 11ms with digital servos.

I flew some packs yesterday at the default 22ms, behaved the same as always. I appreciate 11ms is a faster frame rate, but not using servos means it's kind of redundant UNLESS the increased frame rate affects stick response. I may be wrong and happy to be called out, but I can't see 11ms is going to change/improve the performance of my quad, unless, as I said, it affects the craft's responsiveness.

Maybe someone has flown 22 and 11 and can tell me it responds faster to Tx commands at 11ms??

Comments welcome.

PS: This is a bit OT, not going to harp on it. There's plenty of Spektrum groups out there - amazing how many peeps are asking a similar question, generally heli flyers, can't find any drone pilots asking the question.

This post sums up many I have read: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...um-sat-)/page2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naterade77
Rebind it at 11ms. The esc's don't care!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaccepted
The SPM4648 will go into auto bind mode by default. This mode will determine the settings (dsm2 or dsmx 11ms or 22ms) based on the transmitter and downstream information ie no digital servos.

To properly bind the SPM4648 in a quad environment you can either bind through a full size spektrum receiver or use the flight controller spektrum satellite bind commands.

If you are still using the naze board that came with your bk210 you can't use the flight controller as naze boards do not work with the satellite bind commands which is why the stock satellite had a bind button on it.
Quote:
Naterade & Crash -- Thanks for the info. I also wasn't sure about 11 vs 22ms compatibility on these quads. And I generally bind using a full size Rx, but didn't even know it's not an option to do it thru the NAZE. Good to know!
Last edited by thegeek; Sep 14, 2017 at 01:52 AM.
Sep 14, 2017, 01:35 AM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:
PS: This is a bit OT, not going to harp on it. There's plenty of Spektrum groups out there - amazing how many peeps are asking a similar question, generally heli flyers, can't find any drone pilots asking the question.

This post sums up many I have read: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...um-sat-)/page2
Thanks for that link! Interesting discussion with some good technical details.
Sep 14, 2017, 01:58 AM
Well, all the Spedix come with a Spektrum satellite, begging to be replaced, so I suppose it's kinda relevant to this thread. Note to self: must re-bind at 11ms tomorrow and see what happens. I just upped my Tx rates to where they were before going to oneshot, not sure I need too much more responsiveness right now

Quote:
Thanks for that link! Interesting discussion with some good technical details.