Spedix Black Knight 210 FPV Racing Quadcopter - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 20, 2017, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie517
Well, after running 8 packs yesterday and having the time of my life, I have a problem. The cam picture is phenomenal of the Swift RR. That said, I'm getting wavy line interference. Power to the cam coming directly off of the board. Clearly unfiltered. I did read that Swifts are sensitive to e noise and require filtered power. SO I either have to add a pololu, or maybe pull the cam and switch it to an HS 1177 as others have used them and had no interference.

Ill simmer on it a bit.
Ya, I just recently tried a Runcam Swift 2 on a racing quad and it seems to get a lot more horiz line interference (not wavy though) than my hs1177's from surveilzone. I added a filter and this helped a bit. I'm pretty sure that they both use the same sony imager so the hs1177 might have some better filters, who knows? I tried switching this camera over to a hs1177 and it was much better, even without the filter.

I think that horiz lines means RF noise and wavy may mean vib-related, like knicked props. or poor mounting. I always find that my hs1177 works best when it is mounted firmly, without any rubber baby bumpers.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
Ya, I just recently tried a Runcam Swift 2 on a racing quad and it seems to get a lot more horiz line interference (not wavy though) than my hs1177's from surveilzone. I added a filter and this helped a bit. I'm pretty sure that they both use the same sony imager so the hs1177 might have some better filters, who knows? I tried switching this camera over to a hs1177 and it was much better, even without the filter.

I think that horiz lines means RF noise and wavy may mean vib-related, like knicked props. or poor mounting. I always find that my hs1177 works best when it is mounted firmly, without any rubber baby bumpers.
I misspoke. While the aren't exactly horizontal, that's exactly what's going on.

I don't want to start adding filtering. Hoping to find a simple solution.

I'll be happy to buy an xat600/1177 if it will be fixed lug and play.
Jan 21, 2017, 02:33 PM
Helplessly addicted to FPV
Got my 1177 in the mail today and it was plug and play, but unfortunately it did not fix my video issue. The picture coming in is still terrible. I'm thinking about either getting a new video transmitter or sending in the quad for a full swap. Only thing I can think of is to just pull it apart and take a look inside at the soldering jobs on the various connectors and see how the wiring has been run. ..
Jan 21, 2017, 03:05 PM
It really looks like PAL/NTSC thing. Verify that your display is using correct NTSC or PAL mode. There are actually more broadcast modes than that. For example my friend has a fpv monitor with like 10 different broadcast modes and only 1 has clear picture. Modes like PAL-B/G/D/K/I/M/N/L, NTSC-M/J etc. etc.

You can also troubleshoot the problem by connecting camera signal wire directly into VTX bypassing the board. That way you will know for sure what component is giving you problems. Also try different display if the problem persists.
Last edited by Wrecking Ball; Jan 21, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Jan 21, 2017, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Ball
It really looks like PAL/NTSC thing. Verify that your display is using correct NTSC or PAL mode. There are actually more broadcast modes than that. For example my friend has a fpv monitor with like 10 different broadcast modes and only 1 has clear picture. Modes like PAL-B/G/D/K/I/M/N/L, NTSC-M/J etc. etc.

You can also troubleshoot the problem by connecting camera signal wire directly into VTX bypassing the board. That way you will know for sure what component is giving you problems. Also try different display if the problem persists.
It's alive. ALIVE! Muhahaaa! I hooked my FR632 to a TV and it worked just fine. Figuring that out, I knew it was the connection between the receiver and the goggles. The goggles are about 10 years old (640x480) and have an inline battery and 3.5mm video/audio plug, which I had been plugging directly into the receiver. I took some video cable adapters and put one on the video in plug of the goggles, so that only the video is coming through and used the female adapter that came with the FR632. Then I used a male to male video cable in between to connect them and BAM! Instantly gave me the crisp, beautiful image I had been searching for. Just flew 3 packs in the yard and I can tell its going to take a second to get used to FPV. Can't wait to try some more at a field.
Jan 22, 2017, 09:15 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingolfer
It's alive. ALIVE! Muhahaaa! I hooked my FR632 to a TV and it worked just fine. Figuring that out, I knew it was the connection between the receiver and the goggles. The goggles are about 10 years old (640x480) and have an inline battery and 3.5mm video/audio plug, which I had been plugging directly into the receiver. I took some video cable adapters and put one on the video in plug of the goggles, so that only the video is coming through and used the female adapter that came with the FR632. Then I used a male to male video cable in between to connect them and BAM! Instantly gave me the crisp, beautiful image I had been searching for. Just flew 3 packs in the yard and I can tell its going to take a second to get used to FPV. Can't wait to try some more at a field.
Congrats on your success! And thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. Glad to hear the 1177 was a simple upgrade, because I already have one ready to go on mine!
Jan 23, 2017, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl
Congrats on your success! And thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. Glad to hear the 1177 was a simple upgrade, because I already have one ready to go on mine!
Only thing is, that the mount that comes with the 1177 (mine is a Foxeer-brand) is so wide, that I can't place the screws through the mount and into the camera case, because then it's just a few millimeters too wide for the slot in the 210. I can slide the camera and mount in without the screws, but then the camera is not properly secured and will tilt down when I land. Also, I have to figure out some small screws and nuts to hold down the bottom of the camera mount to the frame. I tried to see if the stock camera mount would work with the 1177, but no such luck. I put the stock camera back in for now, until I figure out a proper way to mount the 1177.
Jan 24, 2017, 11:23 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:
Only thing is, that the mount that comes with the 1177 (mine is a Foxeer-brand) is so wide, that I can't place the screws through the mount and into the camera case, because then it's just a few millimeters too wide for the slot in the 210. I can slide the camera and mount in without the screws, but then the camera is not properly secured and will tilt down when I land. Also, I have to figure out some small screws and nuts to hold down the bottom of the camera mount to the frame. I tried to see if the stock camera mount would work with the 1177, but no such luck. I put the stock camera back in for now, until I figure out a proper way to mount the 1177.
Dang. At a glance, I thought it looked like it might not easily fit, but I hadn't actually tried yet. Maybe someone here knows a good solution. Anybody?
Jan 25, 2017, 05:54 AM
The Swift RR camera was the same. It was a pain to get it in there with the mount. I had to put the mount in. Then fiddle with cam to slide it in. That was followed by mounting cam to the mount. Then finally holding those ridiculously small nuts while mounting entire thing.

I have to take it back off and I am not looking forward to it.
Jan 25, 2017, 01:05 PM
Have you guys updated (flashed) the firmware on the FC?
Jan 25, 2017, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Have you guys updated (flashed) the firmware on the FC?
Milgil flashed Betaflight on to it successfully.
Jan 25, 2017, 04:33 PM
Cool.
Jan 25, 2017, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie517
........... Then finally holding those ridiculously small nuts while mounting entire thing.
Yep. I went the tiny screws and nuts -route. In order to get the Foxeer HS1177/XAT600M on mine, I had to place it in the very front, so the sides of the front opening squeeze the camera mount together enough to hold the camera on. It's not too tight, but firm enough for me to set a camera angle and it will hold. I could not use the set screws that secure the camera to the mount, because the camera+mount would not have fit into the gap. Then I used some super small screws from my old T-Rex 450 helicopter to secure the camera mount to the very front of the quad. I had to use 2 nuts per screw, because I had to use the very front holes (larger diameter) or the frame wouldn't squeeze the camera mount enough to hold it secure. The only downside is that the camera can not tilt to horizontal level, because of the small nuts that are holding the camera mount. Oh well... I checked the angle and it's probably the lowest I would set it to anyway. I'm satisfied with it for now. Now it's onto practice! (Then tuning)
Jan 25, 2017, 05:52 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Zoomie & Fingolfer -- Thank you for the camera mounting details. That will help me when I work on mine, which should be pretty soon!
Jan 27, 2017, 05:24 PM

Toast

I did some light flying around the yard today. Came in and landed on the driveway and as I was reaching toward the quad, SMOKE started billowing out from underneath the battery. I quickly removed the battery (it wasn't the culprit) and let the smoke clear out. I have a feeling that there was a bad soldering job by the factory and caused something to short. Super bummed out. Was just preparing for a weekend of practice and fun. Wah wah waaa.... I contacted the company I bought it from. Hopefully they can just do a swap for a new one. The electronics should not break like this. Not without some sort of actual crash or anything. I have flown it super carefully and have not even had any hard landings. Oh well... we'll see.