Spedix Black Knight 210 FPV Racing Quadcopter - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 09, 2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks. I'll just have to test it out, on my Black Knight.

After doing some research, it's my understanding there are two failsafes. One on the RX module and one on the Flight Controller. If I don't configure the RX module correctly, even if I set the Flight Controller failsafe to drop out of the sky the RX module might still send it the last received signal which means the Flight Controller will never initiate its failsafe. Is my understanding of the functionality correct?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2017, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoEleven

After doing some research, it's my understanding there are two failsafes. One on the RX module and one on the Flight Controller. If I don't configure the RX module correctly, even if I set the Flight Controller failsafe to drop out of the sky the RX module might still send it the last received signal which means the Flight Controller will never initiate its failsafe. Is my understanding of the functionality correct?
Hopefully someone will come along that can answer your question. I do not know the answer and am uncomfortable speculating at the potential expense of your new sled.
Jan 10, 2017, 05:24 AM
Quote:

You are over-thinking this mate.

Just bind your rx with low throttle and select the drop Failsafe option on your flight controller.

Remove your props and check that this works properly.

This is a fundamental safety rule at all fpv racing drone events and you will be required to demonstrate that this has been properly setup.
Jan 10, 2017, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
You are over-thinking this mate.

Just bind your rx with low throttle and select the drop Failsafe option on your flight controller.

Remove your props and check that this works properly.

This is a fundamental safety rule at all fpv racing drone events and you will be required to demonstrate that this has been properly setup.
Tom is the man! Thanks for jumping in, sir!
Jan 10, 2017, 06:59 AM
Helplessly addicted to FPV
Anyone know if the stock antenna on the BK210 is LHCP or RHCP?
Jan 10, 2017, 07:20 AM
Hey everyone. Been flying the BK210 for a few days now (LOS only). Love it so far. Way less stress than my heli used to be, for sure. Only downside is, that I might end up going broke buying batteries to stay in the air 24/7! (although 10 years ago we were spending $100 for batteries we're getting for $25 now!)

Anyway, I have an older video headset that will work perfectly for FPV and need to get a good receiver. Can anyone tell me if the FR632 Diversity Receiver or the Lumineer RX5GDR Diversity Receiver are any good? Also, which type of receiver antenna should I get, so that it works with the stock antenna on the BK210? LHCP or RHCP?

Questions:
Anyone have suggestions on which 3-blade props to use?
How about a good (preferably cheap) transport case for the 210?
Anyone have a suggestion on a standalone receiver for video?
What is the range on the satellite receiver (your own experience)?
What size battery is your "sweet spot"? (Flying 2200mah Glacier 35C -bricks)

Thanks in advance for your insight everyone!
Jan 10, 2017, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingolfer
Hey everyone. Been flying the BK210 for a few days now (LOS only). Love it so far. Way less stress than my heli used to be, for sure. Only downside is, that I might end up going broke buying batteries to stay in the air 24/7! (although 10 years ago we were spending $100 for batteries we're getting for $25 now!)

Anyway, I have an older video headset that will work perfectly for FPV and need to get a good receiver. Can anyone tell me if the FR632 Diversity Receiver or the Lumineer RX5GDR Diversity Receiver are any good? Also, which type of receiver antenna should I get, so that it works with the stock antenna on the BK210? LHCP or RHCP?

Questions:

I'll grab a few of these.

Props? Any 5040 tri. If you're a new pilot, the general consensus is that the King Kong props are a fantastic value at 10 pairs for 5-7.00 depending on sales.
While some 2205's push 5045 bullnoses, the Spedix motors don't particularly care for them. I have no idea why. I can only say that 5040's seem to work well.

Transport case - Cant help you. I want a backpack but am still not ready to cough up 150.00. Some guys have gone down to Walmart and bought a cheap backpack, then added their own foam.

I am literally dragging around a huge clear storage binn with all quads, spare parts, frames and etc. I fly on a friends property 15 minutes away and have an full blown build work station set up in his hangar garage. Its not sexy, but it works for me right now.

Standalone receiver for video - WHat will it be used for? DVR/FPV? Just FPV?

Range On OEM transmitter - Difficult to say. Not as far as I wish. And when it goes away, it goes away quickly. At least for now, I live with it. I have alternate higher end scratch builds on the bench. Because of this, other than motors, I don't find myself wanting to dump material money in to the 210.

Batteries - I got a steal on 4s 1300 70C's for 12.99 each. I bought 7 or them. I have my timer set for 2:30 right now. On the in-tuned 210, I have 35-50% battery left if I'm putting around, 20-25% if I'm on the throttle hard the entire time.

All this said, my long term plan is to go to 4s 1500's if I can find a deal.

I skipped 3S completely. I'm a mature adult. I know that 4s has a little more zip so I pay attention to throttle. I didn't feel the need to use 3s for training wheels.

None of my answers are necessarily good ones. They were just the right ones for me.
Jan 10, 2017, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info Zoomie. I will get some 5045 props soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie517
Standalone receiver for video - WHat will it be used for? DVR/FPV? Just FPV? ..
Yep. Just FPV mainly. Might add a DVR later to record flights, but FPV racing will be the main use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie517
Batteries - I got a steal on 4s 1300 70C's for 12.99 each. I bought 7 or them. I have my timer set for 2:30 right now. On the in-tuned 210, I have 35-50% battery left if I'm putting around, 20-25% if I'm on the throttle hard the entire time.
Nice deal on the batteries! I haven't had the chance to get out to a park yet to really push the BK210 to it's limit, but flying around LOS in front of the house and punching out and zooming back and forth as fast as I dare in the limited space and I'm getting 8:30 flight times using my 2200mah 3s Glacier lipos. After flight, pack is not even slightly warm, volts are only at 11.6, and when I charge, I'm only putting back in around 1500-1600mah, nicely below the 80% rule. I'm loving those times! I'm sure that will stop once I get to some more space and start flying with the throttle up for extended periods of time....
Jan 10, 2017, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the info Zoomie. I will get some 5045 props soon.

Yep. Just FPV mainly. Might add a DVR later to record flights, but FPV racing will be the main use.

Nice deal on the batteries! I haven't had the chance to get out to a park yet to really push the BK210 to it's limit, but flying around LOS in front of the house and punching out and zooming back and forth as fast as I dare in the limited space and I'm getting 8:30 flight times using my 2200mah 3s Glacier lipos. After flight, pack is not even slightly warm, volts are only at 11.6, and when I charge, I'm only putting back in around 1500-1600mah, nicely below the 80% rule. I'm loving those times! I'm sure that will stop once I get to some more space and start flying with the throttle up for extended periods of time....
Wow! Yeah that will go away quick. I run 3s and 4s 2200 on my fixed wings but they are like 30 or 45c. Fixed wing cruising doesn't place the severe amp
Draw on batts that quads do.
Jan 10, 2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks Tom. I am probably overthinking much of this. I am fairly new to all this stuff, so still learning. Now I got new issue due to a crash.

It seems to stutter when I have it hovering, and it rotates to the right side while stuttering. At first I saw one of the plastic arms cracked, so I replaced it thinking that was the issue. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything. It's still stuttering and rotating to the right.

I have been trying to debug. I have individually tested each motor using cleanflight and they all seem okay. Maybe it's a faulty ESC or possible the RX module? Has anyone else experiences something like this?

Thanks for any help.
Jan 10, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Thanks Tom. I am probably overthinking much of this. I am fairly new to all this stuff, so still learning. Now I got new issue due to a crash.

It seems to stutter when I have it hovering, and it rotates to the right side while stuttering. At first I saw one of the plastic arms cracked, so I replaced it thinking that was the issue. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything. It's still stuttering and rotating to the right.

I have been trying to debug. I have individually tested each motor using cleanflight and they all seem okay. Maybe it's a faulty ESC or possible the RX module? Has anyone else experiences something like this?

Thanks for any help.
I did. That is to say I had heavy warble through the entire throttle range. Yet all motors sounded perfect testing individually in Cleanflight. I suspected that one of the motors was just not working efficiently.

I did what Milgil did and swapped out all motors. Tada! No more warble!

If you end up thinking you have a motor, I'll be happy to send you a couple so you have spares.
Jan 10, 2017, 04:26 PM
I'll try to swap out the motor on the arm I cracked first. I really hope this fixes it. I am so bummed I can't fly it.
Jan 10, 2017, 04:52 PM
Quote:
I'll try to swap out the motor on the arm I cracked first. I really hope this fixes it. I am so bummed I can't fly it.
Hang in there!

Yet more proof than support my personal
Desire to have a ton of quads.
Jan 10, 2017, 07:11 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:
...which type of receiver antenna should I get, so that it works with the stock antenna on the BK210? LHCP or RHCP?

Questions:

Though I have a BK, I haven't flown it yet. However, I spent all last summer flying my Spedix S250. So, here are my thoughts on your questions...
I removed the cover from my stock BK antenna, and it is a RHCP SPW (skew planar wheel = 4 lobes).
I haven't flown 3-blade props yet, but I like how my S250 (with stock SunnySky 2204 - 2300KV motors) flies with 5045 BN 2-bladers. For tri-blades, standard 5040s seem to be very popular for motors of this spec.
Cheap transport case ideas: Plastic "Plano-type" foam-padded gun case (from Walmart)? And HobbyKing sells an aluminum Tx case for under $15 that may work well.
I've been using an FR632 exclusively for the past several months, and have no complaints. I like the diversity feature. It has a good reputation and I've had no problems with it. The new Quanum RC540R looks like an upgrade to this VRx, but costs a little more. Might be worth a look, if you like the additional features.
I've only flown (all last summer) with Spektum-capatible Rxs, and had no issues out to the 200 yards or so that I fly. But it should be good well beyond that, since a satellite Rx technically has the same range as a full-size Rx. As with any Rx, just make sure you locate/position it appropriately. And if you want additional robustness, get one with diversity (dual antennas).
Whether 3S or 4S, I much prefer the agility of a lighter battery, so I don't exceed 1500 mAh. I think it comes down mostly to flying style.

Enjoy your flights! I can't wait until the freezing temperatures pass here, so I can get back in the air myself.
Last edited by Knight Owl; Jan 10, 2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Correction
Jan 13, 2017, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl
I removed the cover from my stock BK antenna, and it is a RHCP SPW (skew planar wheel = 4 lobes).
Thanks.

Quote:
I haven't flown 3-blade props yet, but I like how my S250 (with stock SunnySky 2204 - 2300KV motors) flies with 5045 BN 2-bladers. For tri-blades, standard 5040s seem to be very popular for motors of this spec.
Cool. Someone was saying, that the 210 does not seem to like bullnosed props, so I got some HQ 5045 2-blades to replace the stock ones when they break and also got some DAL 5040 Triblades for some more aggressive flying. Can't wait.

Quote:
I've been using an FR632 exclusively for the past several months, and have no complaints. I like the diversity feature. It has a good reputation and I've had no problems with it. The new Quanum RC540R looks like an upgrade to this VRx, but costs a little more. Might be worth a look, if you like the additional features.
Good to hear that the FR632 works well, as I ordered one and should have it tomorrow! BTW: what type of battery do you run in the receiver? I got an 800mah 3s to power it for now...

Quote:
I've only flown (all last summer) with Spektum-capatible Rxs, and had no issues out to the 200 yards or so that I fly. But it should be good well beyond that, since a satellite Rx technically has the same range as a full-size Rx. As with any Rx, just make sure you locate/position it appropriately. And if you want additional robustness, get one with diversity (dual antennas).
Good stuff. My heli uses an AR7000 receiver and has never had one issue, so I figured this smaller unit will do just fine as well.

Quote:
Whether 3S or 4S, I much prefer the agility of a lighter battery, so I don't exceed 1500 mAh. I think it comes down mostly to flying style.
For sure. I got a 3s 1550 and a 4s 1300 to test out. I just realized though, that my 10-year-old hobbico charger does not even charge 4s! Crap. New Charger time. Luckily I can use the old power supply when I get the new charger....

Quote:
Enjoy your flights! I can't wait until the freezing temperatures pass here, so I can get back in the air myself.
I hear ya. Hang in there!