Jan 08, 2017, 05:37 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
[QUOTE=cbalgra;36595221
I am eagerly awaiting your progress of the Sportsman, and you have my full attention. Build on.....

Brad[/QUOTE]

.......Me too.....

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2017, 08:36 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Well thank you, fellas!

But don't get your hopes up too high. This one is going to be a very quick and dirty build. Very standoff scale. Not alot of details. And unlike any of my other stuff there won't even be a stringer in this one!

Here's the basic 3D model ready to get broken down.

Paul
Jan 10, 2017, 03:58 PM
Paul take a look at this wasserflug page the V22 https://plus.google.com/photos/10711...00498817848897 looks like the guy built a larger version more recently.

Link to Jurgens 1.10M span version
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jan 10, 2017 at 04:10 PM.
Jan 10, 2017, 07:03 PM
Hi Paul, I had a look for the details of the wing of the VJ-22 and on Wikipedia it states that the wings were from an Aeronca Champ or Chief. Champ and Chief wing panels were the same but the wing spans of these aircraft were different due to the fuselage width. Some of the spans quoted for the VJ-22 reflect this difference, but I would guess that the VJ-22 has the larger span of 36 ft 6 in that you are using.

As far as I can tell the Aeronca wing panels had no washout, unlike the Cub, and some of the photos of VJ-22s I found looked untwisted while others seemed to have twist. When I mentioned twist, I guess I was looking at a picture of one that looked twisted. Sorry for stirring up the confusion, John
Jan 11, 2017, 12:09 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Thanks, Clive--those Wasserflug guys look like they are having a blast!

Hi John--no worries on confusion. I think the bogus Kingfisher drawing that I posted was the extent of it.

Here's the basic layout of what's to come. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm shooting for a really fast build and more durability than the usual stringered jobs I like.

I did take a liberty with the rudder shape. I'm hoping that it will dip down enough to serve as a water rudder. We'll see. I'm also opting for the tractor to make balancing easier on the first go around.

Paul
Jan 14, 2017, 06:02 AM
Watch out for that planet....
Well that didn't take long Paul, good to see you making balsa dust again!

Watching with interest,

Shane.
Jan 15, 2017, 01:07 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Thanks, Shane--surprised you have time to post when you are trying to stay ahead of Pat

Tail is knocked out. All strip wood so far to keep it simple and quick.

Paul
Jan 15, 2017, 04:38 AM
Big gov never Works
Hi Ya' Koh!

Neat, the design does not require laminating outlines. That can be a PITA for some, sometimes myself, also.

Fuzz
Jan 15, 2017, 11:53 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Fuzz!

Yep, it's the beginning of a theme here. This one is intended to be super simple to hand cut and build. Lots of strip wood, no stringers, no intricately shaped parts. And no lams.

One funny thing about the lams. The outlines on tail of my Goose are laminated. I have a pinhole leak in the covering at the TE of one elevator. A couple days after a float fly, the back of that elevator will get a mad warp. Now I've learned to clamp it between some binder clips after a dunking.

I wouldn't say that lams and water planes are incompatible, but I won't have to worry about that with this one.

Paul
Jan 16, 2017, 03:33 AM
Big gov never Works
I did a lot of float flying in Fla, Koh. It was almost anti-religious to not have several float planes down there. My first lesson for this type of flying, was seal the wood internally. This was not much of an issue with myself, being a "doper". But, the Mono-Kote guy's, in our group just never learned.

I found an all metal spray atomizer(would love to find another) and filled it with 75/25 lacquer/thinner, and sprayed several coats on everything internal. It just seems that water will find it's way, due to leaks or condensation, so why contain it. All my flying surfaces had drain holes. Each rib bay was not airtight. The sticky paper donuts, used on paper for binders were attached before final covering doping. Then the centers cut out. It worked like a charm.

Fuzz
Jan 16, 2017, 11:22 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Fuzz, your timing is impeccable. I had a few issues early on with getting water in the bilge of the Goose. Committed to never build another wooden waterplane without sealing the framework.

This one will definitely get sealed with thinned lacquer. Maybe even by this weekend

Fuse is coming together quickly. I opted to sheet the as much as possible of the assembly while it was pinned flat to the board. From the step forward is planked with 3/32" balsa while everything else will be sheeted with 1/16" balsa.

There are no compound curves to keep things simple, so even the forward portion could have been sheeted in one piece. But I'm on a mission to use up as much of the odds and ends that I've collected as possible. A buddy dropped off a boatload of wood that he'd collected and this airplane is kinda designed around it and some other stuff that needs a home.

Paul
Jan 17, 2017, 08:28 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Looks like a nice build. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jan 17, 2017, 09:46 AM
Scale dihedral or flat wing?

Quick Reply