Jan 07, 2017, 01:58 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Build Log

50" Volmer VJ22 Sportsman

Well, its been awhile since I started a new design from scratch. I've definitely been feeling the need to get back to SolidWorks. I've also been thinking about retiring my Goose after 5 seasons and replacing the grand dame with a more durable and sporty model.

First step was to google a simple flying boat. Must-haves were single engine, monoplane, and RC friendly proportions. After coming close with the Lockheed 91, and considering the Douglas Dolphin, I stumbled across the Volmer VJ22 Sportsman.

The Sportsman is a homebuilt two-seat flying boat that was designed back in 1956. Around 1,000 plans have been sold with ~100 aircraft taking to the air. Not surprisingly, it seems that full-scale builders have a completion rate comparable to as RC folk.

Two things attracted me to the Sportsman. The first is the simplicity of the design. Its such a kooky little airplane--it just looks fun. The second thing is the wide range of mods that the full-scale Sportsman builders have used to personalize their craft. There are several tail designs including a T-tail. There are pushers and tractors. Lots of variety there. You can do pretty much anything with this model and still claim that its scale with a straight face

So, here are a few pics just to get this project off of the ground.

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2017, 04:24 AM
Subbed in! Nice looking subject there. Good chances are that you'll have the only one at the pond till a kit is released

raipe
Jan 07, 2017, 04:45 AM
Big gov never Works
Wow, your up early, (or late) Koh!

Fuzz
Jan 07, 2017, 11:37 AM
I'm in. Looks like fun.

Jim
Jan 07, 2017, 01:45 PM
Nice Plane theres info and links in the later pages of the waterplanes Plans and research sticky plus Jurgen Be has built a nice Depron version... slightly larger if I remember ..I need to check
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=197
http://www.volmeraircraft.com/
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jan 07, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Jan 07, 2017, 02:24 PM
There again it might be smaller
(4 min 50 sec)

http://www.flushyoutube.com/video/Esl-7alxklw
Jan 07, 2017, 02:54 PM
Hi Paul, nice choice of subject. The wing looks just like that of a J-3 Cub to me. It looks like it has the 3 degrees of washout of a Cub wing as well. Here is an example that I came across at an antique store in BC, tempting but I didn't know how I would get it home. Watching with interest, John
Jan 08, 2017, 03:42 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Excellent--glad to know that we have a quorum I considered trying out the Waterplanes forum. I'd probably learn something there, but they don't get nearly as much traffic as we do here in Scale Electric. Plus I'm happy to see that some waterplane experts are onboard already!

Fuzz--it wasn't that late here on the left coast

Clive--I did run across Jurgen's build. He did a very nice job on his depron model. This one will be a little bigger than his 43" version.

John--yup, a Piper wing was called out on some of the drawings I've collected. And that is funny that you spotted that Sportsman at the antique shop. I've got a truck if you need a hand.

Speaking of drawings, I'll post a few that I've been working with. There's not a tremendous amount of info out there, but this project is going to be more sport scale than not. I think I'll skip the gear but I'll stick with the outlines of the earlier version seen below.

Paul
Last edited by Longhorne; Jan 08, 2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Lack of attention to detail
Jan 08, 2017, 05:20 AM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Paul,

Very interesting project! I will be watching!

The M-20 is still whispering, (whimpering) from it's shelf, I have not forgotten her! Just can't work on two at once, and can't leave Pat alone too long on the He 51 Dual build, he's deceptively quick!

When i get these done, I'd like to build your Goose.....

Cheers,
Shane.
Jan 08, 2017, 10:14 AM
Cool project Paul! She will go great with the Goose. Will be following

D-Rock
Jan 08, 2017, 01:23 PM
Paul,
Have always liked the Volmer VJ-22 Sportsman. Looking forward to this build, as always with your builds.

I'm quite sure that the last two pics in your recent post are actually drawings of the Anderson Kingfisher. The two aircraft look very similar, although the Kingfisher was a "tractor" only plane, while the Sportsman was primarily built as a "pusher", with a few built as tractors. I'm sure Dennis Sumner will chime in as well soon, as he and CapMike and Zbrubaker have built beautiful versions of the Kingfisher, from a Park Scale Models kit, a few years ago.

Brad

Here's the link to their builds:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...at-1-9th-scale

Also, here are some photos of the Kingfisher in various forms; full scale and models

https://www.google.com/search?q=ande...R4IhQE#imgrc=_
Jan 08, 2017, 01:45 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Hay Paul and Brad,

I agree the Volmer VJ-22 and the Anderson Kingfisher look like kissing cousins. Looks like both used Cub wings but had slightly different tail feathers plus the tractor/pusher thing. I'll be following along......

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jan 08, 2017, 04:11 PM
That had me double checking the photos - I posted C-FACB is definitely a Volmer Sportsman.

Although the Kingfisher and the Sportsman look very similar, models that I have seen behave very differently on the water. The Kingfisher seems to throw a lot of spray and the spray finds its way into the propeller and makes a lot of noise. Looking at the video posted above, it may be less the hull form than the location of the propeller, which is a lot lower and further forward on the Kingfisher than the Sportsman - even in its tractor version.
Jan 08, 2017, 04:27 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Brad/Dennis--thanks for keeping me honest! Looks like I have been guilty of some indiscriminate Googling. You are clearly correct that the two drawings that I posted were indeed the Kingfisher. I should have known better as I did look at the Kingfisher, but agree that it was well covered by Dennis, Mike, and Zeke.

Despite my carelessness, I'll stick with my original premise. Many Sportsman builders opt for more Kingfisher-like tails and floats. But I don't suppose that trying to pass off the Kingfisher for a Sportsman was a fair way to make that point

So, just for fun I'll post a variety of Sportsman from the Volmer Club of America. That should be safe!

D-Rock--good to hear from you!

Shane--no worries. Looks like you and Pat are keeping one another on the run. Great fun to watch.

Paul
Jan 08, 2017, 05:28 PM
Paul, I am completely confident that you will do this design justice, regardless of engine position, tail shape, or tip float design.

I am eagerly awaiting your progress of the Sportsman, and you have my full attention. Build on.....

Brad

Quick Reply