This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 06, 2017, 10:17 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Build Log

F-16C Fighting Falcon 90mm EDF by Freewing

I got the F-16C from MRC a couple of weeks ago, very simple and straightforward to put it together...

http://sz-freewing.com

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp

https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/jets-and-ducted-fan

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...th=470_507_508

She's a bit smaller than my Tam F-16 (which is 12-th scale) and a bit larger than my old all molded JePe F-16.

On this one the wingspan is 102.3 cm and the length is 152.2 cm, whereas the real one has a 9.96m wingspan at a 15.06m length

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ighting_Falcon

so the model is in the ~ 1:10.2 scale range.

Nice Relaxing Evening Flight :

F-16 Freewing 90mm EDF - Evening Flight (4 min 3 sec)

Short Takeoff :

F 16 Freewing 90mm takeoff 4K (0 min 16 sec)
Last edited by Herb; Feb 26, 2019 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2017, 10:22 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The quality of the foam molding is pretty good, the retracts & gear doors work pretty well, and the lights are cool.

She comes in at around 3.4kg rtf which is not light for a 6S 5000's 90mm edf setup. My Mirage is 2.8kg and the F/A-18 is 2.9 kg ...

I installed an AS3 II super gyro in mine, with adjustable gain on a knob. Gyros are fun to play with and help in windy conditions.

I had some issues in getting that AS3 gyro to work on the rudder channel (teh rudder would work fine, but not the gyro). I suspect there's something funny going on with that freewing mixing board.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 07, 2017 at 12:26 AM.
Jan 06, 2017, 10:25 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The linkages seem pretty decent, I did not replace anything yet.

The taileron setup needs loctite on all the screws, and probably later some epoxy as well to keep everything nice and tight.

There is some very minor residual play in the tailerons which should hopefully be ok (esp. given the relatively low speed of this F-16).

Jan 06, 2017, 10:28 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Mine had some wiring in the duct itself, which is bad.

I don't know how it ended there, but I was eventually able to re-route the power cables up in the proper channel.

Jan 06, 2017, 10:32 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The fan is - so far - a stock Freewing 12-blade fan with metal housing and an outrunner motor, bolted at the back.

The whole fan unit weighs ~402 g which is not light

The outlet is ~75mm which should be fine for this fan & setup.

The F-16 has some major cheesegrater intakes ("auxiliary air intakes") on the sides and at the bottom, just before the fan.

Last edited by Herb; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Jan 06, 2017, 10:39 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The Pre-Pre-Flight check involved taking care of all the throws on ailerons, elevator and rudder.

It's my experience that F-16's generally land quite slowly and don't need flaps (actually flapperons here), so I don't have those programmed.

The manual is quite clear about the throws; since I have a short dirt runway I use a lot of throws even for the maiden, esp. the elevator.

Also, the taileron incidence appears to be correct in the manual (7mm).

Last edited by Herb; Jan 06, 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Jan 06, 2017, 11:55 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
On the maiden I went with the recommeded CG and it worked fine

I used 118mm on the maiden and hardly had to trim the elevator. Did not feel tailheavy at all so it can be moved back a bit. I computed the neutral point (NP) for this planform and it's around 135mm.

Generally I prefer to do the maiden with a slightly lighter battery.

Last edited by Herb; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Jan 06, 2017, 11:58 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The gear doors did not conform that well to the fuselage, there's a few gaps & sloppyness heer and there. They did not rip out in flight though (yet).

The gear door linkages required some minor adjustments to get the gear doors to close properly without servos buzzing.

The gear doors themselves are made out of thin fiberglass, they needed some trimming and later some bending with a heat gun to get them to conform to the fuselage openings.
Jan 07, 2017, 12:09 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The pilot does not look at all like a Thunderbirds pilot (nor does the "smoke" canopy).

It also seems a bit bigger than ~1/12 scale, maybe more like 1/8 scale.

For now I just did a simple repaint

Last edited by Herb; Jan 07, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Jan 07, 2017, 12:11 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The ventral fins come only partially painted ... I left those off for the maiden, in case I scrape the tail on landing.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Jan 07, 2017, 12:15 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The day of the maiden I adjusted the steering and taxied around first with an old spare pack.

Later it took off in ~ 150 feet, having lots of throw on the elevator helps

On the maiden I had to trim the ailerons quite a bit, very little on the elevator. It landed just fine nice and easy with all that elevator throw.

It rained later in the day and I went home with quite a bit of mud on the tires.

Jan 07, 2017, 12:20 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Bought a new Graupner charger at the AMA show in Ontario Ca so will be using it soon for the F-16 packs,

Jan 07, 2017, 04:43 PM
Nasir Khan
Nice write up Herb!
Cheers from down under.
Nas
Jan 09, 2017, 12:27 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Thanks ! Should have a video soon
Jan 09, 2017, 07:31 PM
Tail Spin Tim

FW F-16 90mm 8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
The pilot does not look at all like a Thunderbirds pilot (nor does the "smoke" canopy).

It also seems a bit bigger than ~1/12 scale, maybe more like 1/8 scale.

For now I just did a simple repaint

My redo, pin stripe tape on the bottom fins, cockpit instrumentation which I resized to fit from a down loaded photo, then glued in place. Painted the main landing gear, wheels and have the JP 60mm E-Brakes and Mr. RC Sound. Also added the HUD with definition on the glass, took off the green plastic to do this.
FW 90mm F16 with Mr RC Sound 3rd flight (5 min 27 sec)

Quick Reply