Jan 05, 2017, 09:12 PM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP
Build Log

Mike's 48" P-51B Mustang Build - Vlog

Mike's 48" P-51B Mustang VLOG

Here is a build log thread with a new spin. I crashed my P-51 last summer and decided to build another but slightly bigger. In 2009, I did a build-a-long thread using Mark Rittinger plans which included many of the build details of that great airplane. You can see that thread here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...51-Build-Along

Mark was there when I crashed my plan into the “shredder” a windmill that has a magnet that attracts Radio Controlled Airplanes. I’ll try and post a pic of the aftermath. I told Mark I was going to build another and talked about enlarging it in size a bit. So, to my surprise, Mark increased his original plans by about 10% bringing the wingspan to approximately 48".

What’s the new spin?
I am going to do a series of live VLOGS (video blogs) that will add a new dimension to the thread. Yea, you get to see my ugly mug but hopefully (if I can figure out the technology) you can chat while I broadcast. I'm taking the time to do this because I am experimenting with VLOGS for our company and want to get a feel for the technology involved. It won't be a big production. This is a very low-key deal. Using my cell phone and a couple of apps. Not trying to become anyone special here, just trying to bring a little more interest to the hobby. and experiment with web technology.

So, below this first post will be an index of the VLOGS or key build posts, kind of like what I did with build log back in 2009. Then, my intro VLOG after that. I don’t think this build thread will have as much detail as my 2009 thread. If you are new to scratch building, I strongly suggest you reach through my original build. If all goes well, my live VLOG will follow shortly after. When the live event is over, the archived VLOG will be posted.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2017, 09:13 PM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP

VLOG Build Index

VLOG Build Index
Last edited by tr6world; Mar 02, 2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Updating Index
Jan 05, 2017, 09:13 PM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP

VLOG Intro

48" P-51B Mustang - Project Intro (10 min 21 sec)
Last edited by tr6world; Jan 05, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
Jan 05, 2017, 10:43 PM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP
Here are a few before and after pics along with a view of the shredder.
Jan 06, 2017, 07:20 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Hi Mike,

Happy New Year, I'm along for the build.....

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jan 06, 2017, 08:24 AM
Mike,

Looking forward to following along on this new build. Not sure if you remember but I followed your first P-51 build and ended up building my own version as a result. I had heard from Mark in my Blog about the demise of your Mustang.

Same color scheme for this one?

Mike
Jan 06, 2017, 10:08 AM
Gravity sucks.
Im along too. Im going to do an early 'Stang or Apache.
Just finishing up Trishula, and drawing up a umx me262, but the 51 is going to be a con-current build ( get it?).
Jan 06, 2017, 10:23 AM
Does this one have retracts or is it a hand launcher? I like the B model too.....but too many concurrent builds on my bench right now....
Jan 06, 2017, 12:41 PM
Gravity sucks.
48" is a little small for the rough schoolyard we fly from. Retracts could be fit, but Ill build mine as a thrower.
Light is right

Not sure what Mikes going for on colors, but Ive always liked the bare metal or OD green with white trim. Maybe a racer...
Jan 06, 2017, 02:07 PM
I like Bud Anderson's Old Crow...
Jan 06, 2017, 04:21 PM
Gravity sucks.
Thomas Neilson did my smaller one like that..
Jan 07, 2017, 11:25 AM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP
Hi Denny,

Welcome aboard. No retracts for my bird. It will be a hand-launch like my other mustang. I love the B model. So many D's are done that it is refreshing to see something a little different. Some of the traits I like about the B model is the birdcage canopy and the turtle-deck back. I'm not a fan of the Malcolm Hood bubble canopy although the pilots liked it for better visibility.
I just subscribed to your Waco thread. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together!

Happy New Year Denny. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike
Jan 07, 2017, 11:30 AM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP
Hi Mike (mmalmsten),

Yep, I remember you. Not sure I saw the finished Stang of your's finished. Is there a thread? Post a link to your blog if you have it there.

Nope, I have not decided on a color scheme yet. I was talking with Mark about colors and what shows up good in the air yet would be modeled after a real aircraft. So that led us to talk about military and racer paint schemes....... No decisions yet. Whatever I decide, I want it to be visible in the sky and on approach near the tree line. That was one big reason I did the "Captured" scheme on my previous build. The yellow really pops.

Thanks for following along.
Jan 07, 2017, 11:39 AM
Mike Brinker
Thread OP
Mark,
As mentioned in my VLOG, I appreciate the larger plans and the guidance on my builds. The 48" Jug flies great and fits in the car nicely. Based on the last mustang, I know this one will be one of my favorite flyers.
I'm glad you're going to build one too. While your Zero is a beautiful plane, another ally bird flying formation is better than an enemy fighter on my "six".

Thanks again for the support.
Jan 07, 2017, 01:53 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Hi Mike! Good to see you here building again. The B model Mustang and the Razerback P-47 are my favorite WW II birds. Sounds like you've got a really interesting project going.. I'll be following for sure.

Tony

Quick Reply