Thread Tools
Jan 17, 2017, 07:41 PM
Registered User
Me personally, I don't see how you couldn't get a regular pdb (MAtek X type for example) and a regular FC in there. ESC's on the arms. How tall are the standoffs? Is it the HS1177 that gets in the way or something?
I'm going by this Pic

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...8-IMG_7028.jpg

I've stuffed this in a rotor X atom just fine. I think the TBS unify race is great for the build in first glance.

Going by what it says in this link it says its not possible.

http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...ctronics-setup

i'm up for the challenge.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2017, 08:36 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
fastmax's Avatar


Jan 17, 2017, 08:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax View Post


lol
Jan 17, 2017, 10:50 PM
Registered User
Looks cool can't wait to hear more about it.
Jan 18, 2017, 05:40 AM
Registered User
Catalystmachine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post
lol
Haha well using a normal sized FC WITH normal sized PDB is just not possible using an HS1177 sized camera due to the location of the stack in reference to the back of the camera and the two side plates that hold the camera in place. This is all defined by the location of the two front props. This bird is only 167mm compared to a typical 180mm 4" frame, resulting in weight that is lower than a standard frame plus less moment of inertia for maneuvers. To make this possible we really had to squeeze that HS1177 in tight towards the FC.

There are other options though. Quite a few I might add listed here.

http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...ctronics-setup

Now, with that said. You should be able to fit a normal sized FC WITH PDB if you use a mini-cam.

http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...era-2-8mm-lens
Jan 18, 2017, 06:20 AM
Registered User
Catalystmachine's Avatar
Here is how to mount an HD camera that weighs only 18g on the 4R.

https://www.facebook.com/RotoriousRC...10555652288531
Jan 18, 2017, 11:39 AM
Registered User
flydynamics's Avatar
No need for a regular 36x36 PDB mounted on spacers; a Matek micro PDB is way enough to handle the load on that type of frame (I have tested the concept since September with the Matek micro PDB). The micro PDB can be against the bottom plate (double sided tape) and you can have your FC on 6 spacers giving you enough clearance and tight stack.
I use the same PDB and FC on my Superlight 3" frame and here again, despite the very tight space, I'm able to run micro PDB and regular size FC with 6mm spacers only.
An old French quote says" We'll do more things if we believed less things impossible"
Jan 18, 2017, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine View Post
Haha well using a normal sized FC WITH normal sized PDB is just not possible using an HS1177 sized camera due to the location of the stack in reference to the back of the camera and the two side plates that hold the camera in place. This is all defined by the location of the two front props. This bird is only 167mm compared to a typical 180mm 4" frame, resulting in weight that is lower than a standard frame plus less moment of inertia for maneuvers. To make this possible we really had to squeeze that HS1177 in tight towards the FC.

There are other options though. Quite a few I might add listed here.

http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...ctronics-setup

Now, with that said. You should be able to fit a normal sized FC WITH PDB if you use a mini-cam.

http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...era-2-8mm-lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine View Post
Here is how to mount an HD camera that weighs only 18g on the 4R.

https://www.facebook.com/RotoriousRC...10555652288531
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics View Post
No need for a regular 36x36 PDB mounted on spacers; a Matek micro PDB is way enough to handle the load on that type of frame (I have tested the concept since September with the Matek micro PDB). The micro PDB can be against the bottom plate (double sided tape) and you can have your FC on 6 spacers giving you enough clearance and tight stack.
I use the same PDB and FC on my Superlight 3" frame and here again, despite the very tight space, I'm able to run micro PDB and regular size FC with 6mm spacers only.
An old French quote says" We'll do more things if we believed less things impossible"
I'll order one of those micro PDB's but i'll be honest, i still want to try it (Challenge accepted!)

I haven't pre-ordered as i seriously hate them. 3-4 weeks likely timeframe?
Jan 18, 2017, 01:30 PM
Registered User
Catalystmachine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post
I'll order one of those micro PDB's but i'll be honest, i still want to try it (Challenge accepted!)

I haven't pre-ordered as i seriously hate them. 3-4 weeks likely timeframe?
More like 3 weeks!
Jan 18, 2017, 01:46 PM
why doesn't it ever just work?
WickedWingman's Avatar
What's your recommended 4s battery size? Is 1000mah going to be too heavy?
Jan 18, 2017, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Catalystmachine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWingman View Post
What's your recommended 4s battery size? Is 1000mah going to be too heavy?
http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...ctronics-setup

850mah to 1050mah 4s. 1050 is only about 18g heavier than 850 if you use tattu. Currently, I am flying a 5s 800mah and my 4R is fast as BALLS!

http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...tu-1050mah-75c
http://www.catalystmachineworks.com/...mm-sized-craft
Jan 18, 2017, 02:07 PM
Registered User
I've got a few of 850 liHV packs that i'll use. I've had great with with 1300/1500 Graphenes but haven't tried the smaller ones. The graphene thread noted some issues with the smaller ones i think?

Lihv
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...pack-lihv.html

Graphene
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene....htmlgraphenes


You will notice the 1000 is much heavier
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene...5c-w-xt60.html

My experience with LiHV's is they are great but have a shorter (much) lifespan than the graphenes.
Jan 18, 2017, 02:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine View Post
Rebuilt my Proto SuperLight 4R for 5s duty. Sporting the new FPV model Quadrant 25A 4-in-1 ESC's. HS1177 with GoPro lens. BH 1407-3600kv. I'll be using a 800mah 60C 5S lipo.

AUW (No lipo or arm braces) = 189g
This the 2.5 or 3.5 bottom plate?

I can find it but are all 3d printed parts included?? (I think yes, all but TPU hood for HS1177 setups?)
Jan 18, 2017, 02:17 PM
Registered User
Catalystmachine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post
I've got a few of 850 liHV packs that i'll use. I've had great with with 1300/1500 Graphenes but haven't tried the smaller ones. The graphene thread noted some issues with the smaller ones i think?

Lihv
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...pack-lihv.html

Graphene
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene....htmlgraphenes


You will notice the 1000 is much heavier
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene...5c-w-xt60.html

My experience with LiHV's is they are great but have a shorter (much) lifespan than the graphenes.
Oh wow yeah, a lipo that is almost 200g no point. Its simply too heavy. You are killing any advantage this "special" lipo may have by adding all that weight. That is an extra 75g over the weight of a 1050mah 4s tattu lipo. Just as a reference a gopro session weighs about 75g, and adding that camera is also another no no...

So if you are going to be adding an extra 75g you might as well add a HD camera. Hell atleast that way you can get great video of the people in front of you
Jan 18, 2017, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Catalystmachine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post
This the 2.5 or 3.5 bottom plate?

I can find it but are all 3d printed parts included?? (I think yes, all but TPU hood for HS1177 setups?)
I am running all the 3D printed parts and 2.5mm base with 4mm thick arm braces. No hood.

All 3D printed parts are included except for the Hood. Which I need to finish designing.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion CR-4 Racer Coming Soon unrauv Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 1 Sep 28, 2016 12:06 PM
Sold 250 fpv full carbon racer. Absolutley ready to fly with fpv! Chriss281 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 Jan 15, 2016 09:49 PM