Mar 20, 2017, 06:36 PM
.....and that's why I crashed
I am putting in the Kiss CC too. Massive bummer about having to rotate the board and not being able to reassign the motor outputs in Kiss. I am facing the USB to the rear also.

Came pretty close to flashing betaflight so I could reassign the outputs, but will stick with Kiss FW for now. Currently deciding whether to run the motor wires above or below the board, underneath definitely looks neater. I am using Xnova motors, and the wires look much smalller gauge than those on the brotherhobby motors. Fortunately they are long enough to reach across the board, but it would have been nice to shorten them (given they are so thin).
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 07:23 PM
why doesn't it ever just work?
This cold, wet weather is killing me! I just want to feel the 4" power! That warm weather last month was a tease!
Mar 20, 2017, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusby View Post
I am putting in the Kiss CC too. Massive bummer about having to rotate the board and not being able to reassign the motor outputs in Kiss. I am facing the USB to the rear also.

Came pretty close to flashing betaflight so I could reassign the outputs, but will stick with Kiss FW for now. Currently deciding whether to run the motor wires above or below the board, underneath definitely looks neater. I am using Xnova motors, and the wires look much smalller gauge than those on the brotherhobby motors. Fortunately they are long enough to reach across the board, but it would have been nice to shorten them (given they are so thin).
Wires on the brother hobby 1407's are 26 gauge. What are the xnova wires?
Mar 20, 2017, 10:45 PM
they say 26AWG on them but look thinner. Maybe insulation thickness, or someone is lying about their AWG.
Mar 20, 2017, 11:51 PM
I've suggested to Flyduino in the Kiss CC thread that being able to remap the motor outputs would be an invaluable tool to implement in a future FW release for the Kiss CC. I'll post again when I hear something about it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Mar 21, 2017, 12:00 AM
Rotor X 4 inch Atom Clone, frame weight is 30 grams

By calculations with the BH 1608 motors it should come it at 345grams auw

Thoughts?
Last edited by Jonasj828; Mar 22, 2017 at 06:46 AM.
Mar 21, 2017, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw View Post
I've suggested to Flyduino in the Kiss CC thread that being able to remap the motor outputs would be an invaluable tool to implement in a future FW release for the Kiss CC. I'll post again when I hear something about it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Please do. Its a much needed configuration tool.
Mar 21, 2017, 03:18 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
I wonder if the 3 inch class isn't starting to compete or even surpass the 4 inch options? More and more durable and great performing 120/130 size stuff released these days.
Mar 21, 2017, 03:48 AM
Well, 3 inch quads use the same hardware as light 4 inchers, so the only difference is a little weight for the longer arms and propeller size. I love my 3 inch quads (<250g with 4S and fullsize cam!), but 4 inch has probably even better performance.
Mar 21, 2017, 04:25 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enurian View Post
Well, 3 inch quads use the same hardware as light 4 inchers, so the only difference is a little weight for the longer arms and propeller size. I love my 3 inch quads (<250g with 4S and fullsize cam!), but 4 inch has probably even better performance.

I wonder if that still goes for stuff like the Atom V3 and Japalura (hope I spelled it right) which are 130 or even smaller.
Mar 21, 2017, 06:16 AM
IKNOWNOTHING
This is my 112mm, auw 205g with 850ah 4s 3" build but going to swap the exact components onto a 130mm frame to run 3.5" props with only a 5g weight increase..

tried it already on a minimalist 128 but broke it, so designed a 130mm frame on armattan productions (barebones x 130), waiting for it to be delivered atm.

( the one on the scales fits 3.5" and is way faster than the 3" obviously )
the motors can run triblade 3.5" as well without problems - shame there's not more 3.5" prop options

ghostbranchgalore (2 min 36 sec)

3" video
Mar 21, 2017, 09:33 AM
Quote:
You are right, there's no way smaller disks will perform better at the same weight. "Heavy" 3" using heavy 4S packs are cool but, unless physics changes, not even close in performance than a 4" quad that weight the same or less.
Mar 21, 2017, 09:51 AM
fly a LiPo a day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasj828 View Post
Rotor X 4 inch Atom Clone i designed, frame weight is 30 grams
Sorry to break it to you, Jonas, but cutting a clone is not "design." It's IP theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I wonder if the 3 inch class isn't starting to compete or even surpass the 4 inch options? More and more durable and great performing 120/130 size stuff released these days.
No way, SoloProFan! Have a look at these recent BH1407 3S bench tests by EngineerX. Results show clearly that a 4" dual-blade prop will not only deliver more thrust than even the nice RotorX 3" tri-blades, it will also do so a lot more efficiently.

BrotherHobby T1 1407-3600KV 3S-Thrust Tests (1 min 34 sec)

Quote:
Agreed, Enurian. That's the secret, same hardware, with more efficient props, on only marginally larger frame. If small size is a priority, 3" obviously still wins. If performance is the top priority, there's no doubt that 4" has a leg up. BTW, some 4" builds with 4S and full-size cam under 250g already exist. With the new Canadian regs, I suspect we'll see even more efforts to hit the magical (actually, completely arbitrary) 250g mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I wonder if that still goes for stuff like the Atom V3 and Japalura (hope I spelled it right) which are 130 or even smaller.
Japalura looks beautiful. Unfortunately, it's heavy for a 3" micro. Heavy is inefficient and slow(er). As for the Atom V3, it'll be interesting to see how the new 4" Atom does compared to the existing 3" Atom. My expectation is that 4" will be a more than worthwhile upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics View Post
You are right, there's no way smaller disks will perform better at the same weight. "Heavy" 3" using heavy 4S packs are cool but, unless physics changes, not even close in performance than a 4" quad that weight the same or less.
Amen, flydynamics! Can't argue with physics.
Latest blog entry: In lieu of a blog post
Mar 23, 2017, 04:15 PM
I'm a pincher
So what is the final consensus on running 4 inch props on the BH 1407/3600kv? I know you can, but what's the best prop for it? Can you fun an efficient 3 blade, or is it too much for the motor?
Mar 23, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchTune View Post
So what is the final consensus on running 4 inch props on the BH 1407/3600kv? I know you can, but what's the best prop for it? Can you fun an efficient 3 blade, or is it too much for the motor?
The consensus is those motors are beastly.
So far the best prop is an efficient 2 or 3 blade, like this (https://www.militiabrothers.com/coll...45-triple-slim) or this (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kingkong-4045-black.html). Best battery size with those props are 850-1050mAh 4S.

The limitation is more on the battery than the motors. The motors heat up a little, but nothing to be concerned over, if you use more aggressive props like a 4x4x3 BN. However, a 1050-ish battery is going to be pretty pissed off if you push it for a full flight on those props.