Jan 06, 2017, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics View Post
I'm flying a similar setup since September, different frame, tons of flights, tons of crash, still have to break a 2.5mm arm and a 1mm plate on it.
Like mentioned earlier, inertia is so low compare to a 500g machine that you literally use almost half of the power to complete a 180deg reversal (my quad is 268g with 850mA 4S pack)!
Inertia is also helping in crash with less damage etc ...
Very, Very few people have had to opportunity to fly a set-up like this at the moment since none are available in the North american market and I think only one available in Europe, with a different design that is way less simple and way less effective than the SL 4R imo.

Change always scares the masses until the masses see the potential of the change in the hands of the guys making the change happening
Uuhhm itīs not like Iīm making this up, people ARE breaking 2.5mm on 3 inch quads. I agree that it will be fine for many crashes but I absolutely hate broken frames - thatīs why I invested 5 grams on my 3 inch quad and took 3mm. As I invested 10 grams for the HS1177 instead of the micro cam. Itīs always a trade off, so itīs good that there will be options. Longer arms will not make it better.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2017, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enurian View Post
Uuhhm itīs not like Iīm making this up, people ARE breaking 2.5mm on 3 inch quads. I agree that it will be fine for many crashes but I absolutely hate broken frames - thatīs why I invested 5 grams on my 3 inch quad and took 3mm. As I invested 10 grams for the HS1177 instead of the micro cam. Itīs always a trade off, so itīs good that there will be options. Longer arms will not make it better.
Not saying you made it up or it was impossible, just said I didn't break any in the frame I was flying since September which also had 2.5mm arms.
I'm into the most efficient setup, that's why I'm a defender of lightest setup possible.
Thicker frame will also be available for ppl who prefer tougher and heavier, just not my cup of tea as NO thickness will guarantee no rupture with repeated impacts.
FPV machines are extremely tough but even 3, 4, 5 or 6mm will break after a while so I rather having the best machine ever and fix it if it breaks, just a different view :-)
Last edited by flydynamics; Jan 06, 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Jan 07, 2017, 03:37 AM
Enthusiast from the mountains
I'm also intrigued by this concept after a friend of mine built a grasshoper with 1407. Have to see it in the air tough.

I tried to design my own concept which is very close to the armattan 128 minimalist with adjustments to fit a piko blx, 4inch props and shave more weight. The 4R looks good to me but I don't need all that sophisticated pieces like antenna or vtx holders.
My frame shouldn't weigh more than 15g despite being 3mm carbon. It surely won't handle crashes well but on the other hand it's a unibody so I will cut a few and just change them when they break.

I added the stl for those who are interested but as I said its nothing special. Next steps will be a testprint in PLA to ensure the measurements are correct and maybe try it with 2S and then I will cut a few in 3K Carbon.

The arms are 9mm wide so the narrow Dys 20A should fit underneath.
Jan 07, 2017, 10:27 AM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Golden mean rules here with that motor spacing it looks like... have actually been very curious about that. (to the point of starting some sketches in Sketchup )

Don't care for the 3D printed cam mount but that's just me I guess, much prefer something like the SCX has.

Timing-wise, maybe by the end of January before you unleash these?
Jan 08, 2017, 07:05 AM
why doesn't it ever just work?
How are these motors reacting to bullnose on 4s with a frame this light?
Jan 08, 2017, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentech View Post
I'm also intrigued by this concept after a friend of mine built a grasshoper with 1407. Have to see it in the air tough.

I tried to design my own concept which is very close to the armattan 128 minimalist with adjustments to fit a piko blx, 4inch props and shave more weight. The 4R looks good to me but I don't need all that sophisticated pieces like antenna or vtx holders.
First testrprint is done. Will make my own blogpost where you can checkout updates about the progress.
Jan 08, 2017, 02:50 PM
Have you done extensive testing running the t1 1407s on 4"? A racer is going to need traction and tris+ is where it's at for prop choice. I am currently running these 1407s on 3530 tri props and that is the most i will push them for long term use. On 3540 tri props the motors were border line melting stators (enamel) and I can't imagine racing them on 4" props. Testing and time will tell I guess. The brothers hobby 1407s are the best on the market for micros right now. I will tell you that these motors on 3530 tri props on 4s 850mah-1000mah is an absolute agile racing machine. Only other motors in this class that compare and have same mounting holes would be the RCX 1707 available in 3200kv and 3900kv. Those are awesome torquey motors as well. This frame would also make a fantastic 3.5" propped rig. Here's a vid of my setup and by far my favorite combination to fly- so much so that I don't feel the need to fly 5" quads anymore. The micro revolution is real.
MX3S 1407 T1 HyperLite/Militia Brotheres T3530 Testing (1 min 47 sec)
Jan 08, 2017, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by specgie View Post
Have you done extensive testing running the t1 1407s on 4"? A racer is going to need traction and tris+ is where it's at for prop choice. I am currently running these 1407s on 3530 tri props and that is the most i will push them for long term use. On 3540 tri props the motors were border line melting stators (enamel) and I can't imagine racing them on 4" props. Testing and time will tell I guess. The brothers hobby 1407s are the best on the market for micros right now. I will tell you that these motors on 3530 tri props on 4s 850mah-1000mah is an absolute agile racing machine. Only other motors in this class that compare and have same mounting holes would be the RCX 1707 available in 3200kv and 3900kv. Those are awesome torquey motors as well. This frame would also make a fantastic 3.5" propped rig. Here's a vid of my setup and by far my favorite combination to fly- so much so that I don't feel the need to fly 5" quads anymore. The micro revolution is real.
Nice rig you got there. What's the AUW?
I guess will have to do my own testing since I only saw one pilot running this setup for a longer time period and that's a LoS acro frame. It should be doable to get into the same weight range as him when using a frame reduced to minimum.
Jan 08, 2017, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentech View Post
Nice rig you got there. What's the AUW?
I guess will have to do my own testing since I only saw one pilot running this setup for a longer time period and that's a LoS acro frame. It should be doable to get into the same weight range as him when using a frame reduced to minimum.
I believe I'm at 290 all up with an 850mah 4s. Feels really good for 3/3.5" flight
Jan 08, 2017, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by specgie View Post
I believe I'm at 290 all up with an 850mah 4s. Feels really good for 3/3.5" flight
Now imagine 30 to 40g lighter on regular 2 blades that are half a inch longer and provide more thrust (traction like you call it).
Prop efficiency is not the best on tri at all !
You won't necessarily have the best traction on tri like you mentioned it.
Last edited by flydynamics; Jan 08, 2017 at 06:22 PM.
Jan 09, 2017, 01:37 AM
It won't be 30-40g lighter with a proper camera... And I think we all agree that tri-props "feel" just better, call it grip or whatever.
Jan 09, 2017, 06:05 AM
My AUW will be ~250g if the frame will get heavier as expected at the moment it weighs 16g. I don't see the necessity for a runcam swift and a heavy vtx. TX03 should be enough especially when racing.

@Enurian: I'm not sure why you come to this conclusion. 6" 2blade vs 5" 3 blade is a real difference. 6" 2 blade is bitier especially when cornering.
Jan 09, 2017, 06:45 AM
For those of you who aren't so worried about saving the extra grams here is the included HS1177 sized camera option. The frame will come with an extra top plate, camera side plates. and all extra hardware needed to install HS1177 or swift. Max angle is 65 degrees. There will be an optional camera hood (sold separately) designed to give added protection for the camera in rollover crashes.
Jan 09, 2017, 07:28 AM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine View Post
For those of you who aren't so worried about saving the extra grams here is the included HS1177 sized camera option. The frame will come with an extra top plate, camera side plates. and all extra hardware needed to install HS1177 or swift. Max angle is 65 degrees. There will be an optional camera hood (sold separately) designed to give added protection for the camera in rollover crashes.
Everyone loves the lighter weight of those tiny cams in the first set of pics, until they try to fly fast... Broke an arm clean off of another frame with one of those tiny-cams, not using those again, I'll pay the higher weight tax of 1177s.

So... what's the weight now with the 1177 mounted?

How soon do you plan on having these available?
Jan 09, 2017, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd flyr View Post
Everyone loves the lighter weight of those tiny cams in the first set of pics, until they try to fly fast... Broke an arm clean off of another frame with one of those tiny-cams, not using those again, I'll pay the higher weight tax of 1177s.

So... what's the weight now with the 1177 mounted?

How soon do you plan on having these available?
This much. However, I am using a large FPV antenna. With the shorty version of this Triumph or the new AXI from GetFPV I can save another 5 grams or so.

We are going to wrap up flight/crash testing here at the end of this coming week. We will have a final team design review then begin machining. So it should be around 3 to 4 week from now these will be available.