Sep 16, 2019, 04:54 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
I didn't come around a motor with so many issues yet. I allready got a replacement motor (under warranty) because the first threw away its magnets. The second did the same but I decided to glue them back in. There was still some bad clicking noise when turning it over though.
Took me a while to find out that the ball bearing inside the motor came loose. It was glued in very sloppy and that glue came loose.

Now it is good to go again. I'm not coming here to bitch about quality. It's a fun plane. But if you got a strange clicking noise - check that bearing.
Motor quality is a joke, period IMO. I am on my third motor. ELE and RUD servos with plastic gears are too, the esc is also on my list as crap.

Motor:
1st had the bearing mounting hole way to large (machinist was drunk on Monday morning after a holiday).
2nd and 3rd both tossed the magnets after a week of flying on 4S.

IMO these crappy quality motors are not worth the distance you can throw them at the HK warehouse.

I really think if you want a EFXtra, its best you buy the parts seperate (fuse/wing/hatch) and then install your own quality motor/esc/servos/etc, you will come out with a much better quality plane for ~$130 IMO
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 07:27 AM
On my first EFXtra a magnet slipped, and I just globbed some glue down in there and it's been fine ever since. My second EFXtra motor has been issue-free, as has the spare EFXtra motor I bought. The motor in my EFX Racer is great somehow. The plane just feels and sounds smoother than the others. Could be the prop too...

I think you have to qualify what is "crap", when talking about a €130 foamie PNP. It can sound like the implication is, you should be getting top notch high quality stuff - when clearly this is not that corner of the RC market. What's the baseline of "crap"? If it's the EFXtra, then show me a PNP which is better for the same money. Furthermore, I think it should also be clear that what is being discussed is the plane as flown stock. Not with different props or bigger lipos ETC. Which is why I disagree that the ESC is "crap", when for a PNP ESC it easily takes 5S when only rated for 4S. Unlike other brand ESCs, which are rated for 4S, and crap out on 4S. IMO you have to judge something within its context, and I disagree that you can call everything crap in a €130 EFXtra, which for the money and compared to its competition is a pretty damn good plane. Crap is the wing spar design on the V900. Nothing on the EFXtra is remotely as bad as that, for ex. And I'll just mention E-flite ESCs without going into my experiences with them again..
Sep 17, 2019, 12:22 AM
Quadaholic
With a brand new efxtra, I have had to replace:

2 servos, the rudder and elevator, the only ones with plastic gears. IMO, the elevator is the most important servo.

ESC failed with 4S-1800, I would not call that a bigger battery, most at my club fly 4s-2200, and i have my flight timer set to 2 minutes. The kit recommends 1800 to 2400mAH. I have a lot of esc experience, and have seen the constant improvements in esc tech from flying quads for 6 years. Would rather buy a $35 60A old school esc or 80A 2-6S new tech for $16?

I am on my third motor, first had the front bearing hole way to large, bearing rattles around, just crummy quality, the other two have slipped magnets (more than once), low quality glue.

If your the type that does not want to do anything but plug in your Rx, that's fine. I have crashed my plane when the elevator servo striped mid air and twice when the magnet slipped and locked the flux bell and i could not make it back to the runway.

Summery, I have replaced everything (and 3 motors) but the two AIL servos.

Another way is buy a spare $22 wing, $28 fuse, $4 tail, $4 cover, $4 cowl, $20 motor, $20 4x digital metal gear servos, $17 80A esc, $4 BEC, $2 spinner, $4 pushrods. So for about $10 more than the $127 sale price, you could have a better/more reliable plane without much more build time. If I known beforehand, I would of went this direction and then I wouldnt of had to spend time and money swapping all that crap out or crashed from it (and fixing crash damage). Have fun.

PS: regarding the excalibur V-tail mixing. They both have standard mixing and it works like crap, maybe it needs differential throws to make it work correctly? I love the looks of V-tails, but they do have a rotating effect when slope soaring them, for that reason I don't like them
Sep 17, 2019, 12:51 AM
You are also, afaik, running a non-stock prop on 4S?
And also 800 flights on that cheap $150 foamie? Sounds a bit rich to call it crap.... Afaik these planes have earned their cost at 50ish flights, or maybe 100. I mean, €109 shipped I paid for my second EFXtra.

They're not race quads either. Apples and oranges.

I did take your advice btw and put a quad ESC with external BEC (although I detest soldering...) in a Z-84, and it's been awesome. From now on 32-bit ESCs only for me(Turnigy..) That was a good tip. Not sure if it was you, but the foamboard Su-27 was not... I got the F-35, and it's - to me... - the dumbest plane I've ever bothered with. Highly doubt I will ever mess with the Su-27 I also bought. Tremendously stupid waste of time planes - to me...

I'm on my 3rd EFX plane, and no such issues. One slipped magnet(glued, fixed..) early on, and that's it. In well over 100 flights. Maybe 200+ all up..(I really don't know. Could be 300..) They are my favorite planes, because they look great, fly great, are cheap, and are plug and play. No Macgeyvering necessary. After my experiences with the V900 and first F-27(great plane, horrendous ESCs..), I think I just have a very different idea of what "crap" is.
Sep 17, 2019, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
And also 800 flights on that cheap $150 foamie? Sounds a bit rich to call it crap.... Afaik these planes have earned their cost at 50ish flights, or maybe 100. I mean, 109 shipped I paid for my second EFXtra.

I did take your advice btw and put a quad ESC with external BEC (although I detest soldering...) in a Z-84, and it's been awesome. From now on 32-bit ESCs only for me(Turnigy..) That was a good tip. Not sure if it was you, but the foamboard Su-27 was not... I got the F-35, and it's - to me... - the dumbest plane I've ever bothered with. Highly doubt I will ever mess with the Su-27 I also bought. Tremendously stupid waste of time planes - to me...

I'm on my 3rd EFX plane, and no such issues. One slipped magnet(glued, fixed..) early on, and that's it. In well over 100 flights. Maybe 200+ all up..(I really don't know. Could be 300..) They are my favorite planes, because they look great, fly great, are cheap, and are plug and play. No Macgeyvering necessary. After my experiences with the V900 and first F-27(great plane, horrendous ESCs..), I think I just have a very different idea of what "crap" is.
While I agree that they are incredible for the money paid the quality IS crap. Considering how fast these go one could even go so far to call them sort of dangerous considering their servos like to die a lot. Mine came with the rudderservo dead on arrival. The emax MG servo is the best component in that plane right now.
The first motor lost its magnets using 4S and stock prop after 20ish flights. The second I flew with 5S so not stock but this still does not explain why a bearing is not glued it correctly.

The EFXtra is a fun plane and probably the best package for little money compared to multiplex and e-flite but PNP is stretching it since you have to fix it before flying. This plane looses parts midair if you don't reglue everything. That can't be acceptable at any price level. I'd still take it over the competition but I'd rather pay 30$ more and have solid electronics.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:35 AM
I disagree that every plane is going to be faulty. Or even many. Mine have not been. Quality in my experience has been great. Including foam quality and toughness, compared to other brands.

The same applies to my experience with E-flite ESCs of course, but twice bitten forever shy.... So I see both sides. But am still limited to my own experience. That's why I love EFXs and don't trust E-flite. I have the E-flite F-15 on the way, and expect something to be faulty.

In any case, I politely disagree that these planes are flawed out of the box as a rule. A (fairly rare) exception, OK. But not the rule. On the contrary, king of the hill of these types of planes, given price, performance, etc. IMO.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
My thoughts are I’ll be glad when they come back in stock so I can get another. I do think I will upgrade that elevator servo though...
Sep 17, 2019, 06:05 AM
Dinosaur
Quote:
While I agree that they are incredible for the money paid the quality IS crap. Considering how fast these go one could even go so far to call them sort of dangerous considering their servos like to die a lot. Mine came with the rudderservo dead on arrival. The emax MG servo is the best component in that plane right now.
The first motor lost its magnets using 4S and stock prop after 20ish flights. The second I flew with 5S so not stock but this still does not explain why a bearing is not glued it correctly.

The EFXtra is a fun plane and probably the best package for little money compared to multiplex and e-flite but PNP is stretching it since you have to fix it before flying. This plane looses parts midair if you don't reglue everything. That can't be acceptable at any price level. I'd still take it over the competition but I'd rather pay 30$ more and have solid electronics.
I must have got a good one. Nearly 50 flights on it now - totally stock and running 4S only - and have not had a failure yet, other than a couple of broken blades on landing.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12
I must have got a good one. Nearly 50 flights on it now - totally stock and running 4S only - and have not had a failure yet, other than a couple of broken blades on landing.
I set the brake on the speed controller on mine. Helps keep from breaking props on landing. Mine was on the original prop after many flights.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:55 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
I set the brake on the speed controller on mine. Helps keep from breaking props on landing. Mine was on the original prop after many flights.
I did the same. I also had a failed rudder servo which I am now thinking could be the cause of my crash last weekend (which ended in a pretty smashed efxtra). The failure was in the gears of the rudder servo. The rudder would stick at the extreme position in one direction. I swapped it out with I similar servo I took out of tail of my Excalibur.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sep 17, 2019, 09:31 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:

LOL -you need to buy yourself a Dynam!
Then you'll know what REAL crap is.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:54 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
And also 800 flights on that cheap $150 foamie? Sounds a bit rich to call it crap.... Afaik these planes have earned their cost at 50ish flights, or maybe 100. I mean, €109 shipped I paid for my second EFXtra.

I guess I expect more. 50 flights is nothing, I can easily do 80 flights in a month just flying on the weekends.

Macgyvering, aka, fixing something with something not meant to do the job isn't necessary at all, but fixing crap servos/motor/esc and horizontal stabilizer from falling off in flight is.

The SU-27 is one of my favorite planes, out of the glue-n-go series it flys the best (I have flown the Mig29, J20, F35). So many tricks with a ~$20 plane, I like stick action, the su-27 has it, the efxtra, not so much. It also uses all my old retired quad batteries, old left over servos/esc/motor/props.

blheli_32 bit esc is not really necessary, here is why. They have only a few features over the blheli_s esc, and I am pretty sure your not using those extra features (rpm/current telemetry data). They cost a little bit more than _s esc. But I would do _s or _32 anytime over crummy old school Atmel esc. If I did buy _32 esc, It would not a hobbyking brand, to much trouble with their electronics.

Yes, I run a 8x5e prop that almost never brakes on a rock filled runway, they are also $3 for 5. I have yet to finish all 5 in the ~800 flights. I tried back to back the stock 4s prop and the 8x5e, most everyone at my field said the 8x5e looked faster (we didn't have a radar gun that day, and yep, it broke on the first landing with esc brake =on), just one more crummy part they added to this efxtra kit. The 8x5e is also quite a bit easier to launch, it just has much more low end thrust when launching.

Since I solder professionally since my first job at Mitsubishi at 16, it's easy for me. If you dont like soldering, dont build a quad, it wont go well for you.

Curious, why are you on your third efxtra with so little flights, dumb thumb or self exploding in mid-air?
Sep 17, 2019, 09:56 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
LOL -you need to buy yourself a Dynam!
Then you'll know what REAL crap is.
Yup !!!
Sep 17, 2019, 10:21 AM
My first EFXtra I crashed due to a stupid mistake. l was talking to a guy next to me, and gunned it for another go around so I would not have to walk too far to pick it up. Totally my mistake and a dumb one.

My second EFXtra is just fine, as is my Racer.

Then there is work, family, weekend property, 15ish other planes, long miserable winters, etc..

I still maintain that if you have a $150 foamie with 800 flights and insist that the plane is crap then something doesn't add up. Maybe you are just over it after so many flights/3,500 minutes of flying it or whatever(I probably would be too..) which is fine in itself. But don't continue to call the plane crap because you are sick of it after a frankly ridiculous number of flights...

I never did build a race quad, due to all the guesswork, research, experimentation, etc, and especially soldering, required. And I don't regret it. I get my kicks just fine flying my foamie PNPs, like the EFXtra. Stock bits and all.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:44 PM
Quadaholic
The CRAP is summed up, by not in how many flights I have, but how many times I had to replace the stock CRAP, nothing more.

In the late 80's I built a Wide Glide slope combat glider. It was my third build (for slope combat), With 2S-2800 pack (I needed the weight to balance CG, I could combat all day, I have had many 5.5 hour days flying. Because i used quality servos/hinges/horns/pushrods, I flew it for 14 years combating (multiple hundreds of crashes) and zero failures. That's opposite of CRAP. I get it if it was only me calling crap, but its not.

Quality = the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something.
If there was 1000 EFXtras kitted, some will be fine, other not so fine, because you only had a servo and magnet let go in ~200 flights, that is one data point in the quality table.

All three motors I had failed, yes two of them I glued the magnet back in, but now they are not as balanced when they were made.
2 of of 4 servos failed,
1 of 1 esc failed
Summed it up

Both of my brothers planes (brand new with 6 flights on one and first flight on the second one) and another pilots efxtra had horizontal stabilizer fail in flight, all three planes in the trash. I removed the stock plastic spare and replaced it with a hollow CF spare and goop, if for nothing less, piece of mind.

Quick Reply