May 20, 2019, 05:53 AM
oops wrongway
Got mine together, like the red scheme a lot. Not maidened yet but be interested to see responses to Andrew7s's questions too before I do.
Cheers
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 08:32 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew73
Hi, couple of questions during assembly:

1. Mine came with all control horn balls pre-installed in the outer most holes, but the manual shows the elevator in the middle hole. Which holes are people using?

2. Do the ball links fit one particular way? e.g. there's a small raised dot on one side, should this always face the ball?

3. What travel/expo settings would people recommend for maiden? My main concern is I don't want it to roll too fast.
On mine I left the control horn balls on outer holes, and I reduced three holes from end of aileron servo horns and elevator servo horn. I still fly it like this on low rates on radio. It was far too twitch for me on default (delivered) throws.

I'd be interested to hear responses to your q2!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
May 20, 2019, 08:44 AM
NRc
NRc
German Potato
Quote:
Originally Posted by athertop
On mine I left the control horn balls on outer holes, and I reduced three holes from end of aileron servo horns and elevator servo horn. I still fly it like this on low rates on radio. It was far too twitch for me on default (delivered) throws.

I'd be interested to hear responses to your q2!

If it's too twitchy then you might wanna use more expo.
May 20, 2019, 08:46 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRc
If it's too twitchy then you might wanna use more expo.
I have that on 30 also. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I should add, that since calming down the rates mechanically, I love how this plane flies. Like on rails, and very controllable. My brain doesn't work fast enough to handle the stock rates.
May 20, 2019, 10:27 AM
So I've been flying the V900, and it really does fly great.

But....., I just think it's basically a horrendously designed plane. The small battery bay, the wing spar, the weak tail, etc.. Even the dumb motor shaft is some weird size so you have to ream every prop and use pliers to take the nut off since no standard wrench fits. Then yesterday I had a dumb mishap (my fault - too little throttle on launch, even though I know - in theory - that that is the cardinal rule of a good launch... - don't wimp out on throttle.. ) and had to repair the wing a bit. The damage was minimal, but in the process of getting it all back together, I see the little screw holder thingies in the balsa battery bay base broke through... I globbed glue in there and hope it holds, but who knows. This plane does not inspire confidence though, which is a shame, because it really is a great flier, it's fast, and almost most importantly, it's not horrifically loud...

Which leads to me wondering - how could I get an EFXtra to be as fast or faster than the V900 - but just as quiet?

Becaue not only is the V900 faster - 4S vs 4S - than the EFXtra, the really big advantage in my book is that it is not as loud and shrieky like the EFX planes are - especially on 5S.

I wonder if you could put the power system (motor and 8x8 prop) from the V900 into the EFXtra? The Rare Bear also uses an 8x8 prop, and isn't nearly as loud...

Anyway, just brainstorming...
May 20, 2019, 11:31 AM
One other question, does the motor have sealed bearings or would it benefit from a couple of drops of oil?
May 20, 2019, 11:47 AM
Quote:
One other question, does the motor have sealed bearings or would it benefit from a couple of drops of oil?
It would have "shielded" bearings. Similar to sealed, but oil will get through the shield. A drop or 2 of high speed oil usually is not a bad thing.
May 20, 2019, 02:12 PM
NRc
NRc
German Potato
Quote:
Hi, couple of questions during assembly:

1. Mine came with all control horn balls pre-installed in the outer most holes, but the manual shows the elevator in the middle hole. Which holes are people using?

2. Do the ball links fit one particular way? e.g. there's a small raised dot on one side, should this always face the ball?

3. What travel/expo settings would people recommend for maiden? My main concern is I don't want it to roll too fast.
I'm actually very interested in question 2. I did notice these small raised dots too. Also, the ball link on my rudder does not sit as tight as the other links, I can easily remove it with little pressure, while the other links are very hard to push off the ball.
May 20, 2019, 06:21 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRc
I'm actually very interested in question 2. I did notice these small raised dots too. Also, the ball link on my rudder does not sit as tight as the other links, I can easily remove it with little pressure, while the other links are very hard to push off the ball.
I have several durafly models with these same ball links throughout, and several are quite loose. Excalibur v tail was the worst and HK sent new links but no better off so replaced them with brand new pre-assembled ball links I purchased externally.

May 21, 2019, 12:15 PM
these chaps display some serious low level aerobatics skills, including a cartwheel touch&go

DURAFLY EF EXTRA X 2 - ULTRA FAST ON 4 CELL & 3 CELL + FLAT OUT TOUCH N GO ! - DEANO & SONNY - 2019 (3 min 51 sec)
May 21, 2019, 12:25 PM
Nice video... Makes me want to get out and fly mine...
May 21, 2019, 07:09 PM
Dinosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Nice video... Makes me want to get out and fly mine...
Haven't done a low rolling pass like that, down our strip, since I flew mine straight into the threshold fence about a year ago!
May 21, 2019, 09:15 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12
Haven't done a low rolling pass like that, down our strip, since I flew mine straight into the threshold fence about a year ago!
Haven't done a low rolling pass like that...and still flying my 3 year old EFX original
May 21, 2019, 10:06 PM
Dinosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
Haven't done a low rolling pass like that...and still flying my 3 year old EFX original
Point taken! Present one is going just fine!
May 23, 2019, 07:58 PM
Completed my maiden without drama, she flies great! Very slippy through the air and I just pootled about on 40-50% throttle to get a feel for it. 50% ailerons and 75% elevator/rudder was perfect to get me started. Very impressed.

Quick Reply