Jan 05, 2017, 10:49 PM
Horizon Hobby Development
The 480 is a great motor and i have not wanted for more power in any of my testing. This set up allows for a very broad range of batteries.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2017, 11:17 PM
They call me Lipo...

AMA West...

Chris,

I'm guessing this is your baby as well??? Doesn't Matt do ANYTHING anymore ?!?

Looking forward to seeing this at the HH booth as well; will you be there tomorrow?

If so, see you there !
Jan 05, 2017, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
The 480 is a great motor and i have not wanted for more power in any of my testing. This set up allows for a very broad range of batteries.
Which for 480 are you talking about ?
Jan 06, 2017, 12:23 AM
Horizon Hobby Development
This is the same 480 960kv motor that was used in the Parkzone T-28 and many other Parkzone and E Flite aircraft. The prop is from the Artizan.
Jan 06, 2017, 10:14 AM
On the ol' Interweb
What a shame. I would've gladly paid $5 more for either PNP or BNF-B with the metal 480 motor. Seems like there are fewer difference between Eflite and ParkZone models these days.
Jan 07, 2017, 12:04 AM
Thread OP
For those in Australia modelflight.com.au has them in stock now !

https://www.modelflight.com.au/plane...-rc-plane.html

cheers Chuck
Jan 07, 2017, 01:09 AM
Why not a Power 10 stock, these would sell like hot cakes
Wait $329 what the H?
Jan 07, 2017, 01:20 AM
They call me Lipo...
That's in Australia....in the U.S. they are going to be $199.00
Jan 07, 2017, 10:27 AM
It is beginning to look like a crowded space- Mini Apprentice, Sport Cub, Valiant 1.3, with the Timber lurking in the wings. I have spent a good deal of time with the Sport Cub, especially on floats, and find it hard to imagine a better plane for that size and style, although I have recently
been flying the Timber, again mostly on floats, more than the Sport Cub. Bigger flies better, but smaller transports easier. Will the Valiant 1.3 develop the almost cult-like following that attends the Sport Cub? Will the Mini-Apprentice wither on the vine? Stay tuned.
Jan 07, 2017, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603 View Post
It is beginning to look like a crowded space- Mini Apprentice, Sport Cub, Valiant 1.3, with the Timber lurking in the wings. I have spent a good deal of time with the Sport Cub, especially on floats, and find it hard to imagine a better plane for that size and style, although I have recently
been flying the Timber, again mostly on floats, more than the Sport Cub. Bigger flies better, but smaller transports easier. Will the Valiant 1.3 develop the almost cult-like following that attends the Sport Cub? Will the Mini-Apprentice wither on the vine? Stay tuned.
Timber reacts slower imo. Ive only flown one with slats, I will be getting a valiant at some point this year, it better fly as well as the SC
Jan 07, 2017, 02:22 PM
They call me Lipo...

Random thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603 View Post
It is beginning to look like a crowded space- Mini Apprentice, Sport Cub, Valiant 1.3, with the Timber lurking in the wings. I have spent a good deal of time with the Sport Cub, especially on floats, and find it hard to imagine a better plane for that size and style, although I have recently been flying the Timber, again mostly on floats, more than the Sport Cub. Bigger flies better, but smaller transports easier. Will the Valiant 1.3 develop the almost cult-like following that attends the Sport Cub? Will the Mini-Apprentice wither on the vine? Stay tuned.
I'm not quite sure it's crowded from a design philosophy standpoint, and I think that's why HH has a few offerings within the same size "class", if we're comparing the models using that metric (general wingspan of the aforementioned models).

I think the models you mentioned are all designed with different philosophies of use. Let me explain...

Mini Apprentice S = First time fliers; plane will serve the entry level user all the way through intermediate. You can basically teach yourself to fly on this one, and is cheap and easy to operate on a very small 3S1300 battery and the installed 8.25x5.5 propeller, the same one found on the long discontinued Parkzone Archer II. Very sturdy tricycle landing gear, very stable in the air.

Sport Cub = Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Sport Cub was intended to be aimed at the intermediate through advanced level, with a strong emphasis on the utility/bush flying aspects (hence the large bush-style wheels), with some mild aerobatics thrown in for good measure. Not very strong on vertical performance out of the box, but adequate. Very stable and forgiving. Also very economical using 3S1300 batteries, but can accommodate as large as 2200's (performance will suffer however, due to the added weight). Also flies on the very common 9x6 "paddle" style propeller found on the Parkzone "Gunfighter" P-51 Mustang and the F4F Wildcat.

Timber = Dedicated, purpose built STOL model designed for the intermediate to advanced pilot with rugged, backwoods flying as it's main function. Has enough power for spirited sport/scale aerobatics, but that is probably more a result of it's potent motor-prop combo for bush applications, versus the need to do aerobatics. A very specialized plane targeted at a certain niche within the modeling community.

Valiant = A sport flyer designed for the folks who like high-wing tail-draggers and yet want a bit more spirited performance than the Sport Cub can offer. Despite the 480/960 kV motor, the larger 10x8 propeller offers very good vertical performance, and coupled with the squared off, aggressive wing design (ever so slightly tapered) and 40 amp ESC, this model has enough sport/scale aerobatic capability to satisfy the casual Sunday sport flyer and then some. Also has a very large, cavernous battery compartment that will accept everything from a 3S1300 all the way to a 3S3000! Equipped with flaps, this high-wing plane will also slow down and land nicely due to it's light wing-loading. Metal landing gear will easily absorb those "less than perfect" landings....

This is what I think HH is doing and where they're going, although it's also quite clear the Sport Cub is on it's way out. Not bad after a 2-3 year run...

Just my .02......
Last edited by Justwingit; Jan 12, 2017 at 12:55 AM.
Jan 07, 2017, 02:52 PM
Back Roads Outlaws
If it flies like the big Valiant, it will be a winner. Think I'm going to need some tires from the Timber though. Never been a fan of the wheel pants on the Valiant. Had the 6" Dubros on my big one.
Last edited by Desertlakesflyin; Jan 07, 2017 at 02:57 PM.
Jan 07, 2017, 04:13 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Excellent synopsis, John!

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jan 07, 2017, 06:08 PM
They call me Lipo...
Thanks Joel!

My initial reaction upon seeing this model was "I got to have one"! I mean, it sort of grows on you, and besides, I've never met a high-wing tail-dragger I didn't like....

That said, after seeing it in person (and getting what amounts to a guided tour of it with it's designer no less !) I have to get one for sure. The price point is simply too good to be true ($199.00 BNF!!!) and I like the fact one of Horizon's longtime, original vendors was utilized on this one. By that I mean, if you're familiar with the old Parkzone warbirds, the Sport Cub et. al., then this one will instantly feel comfortable in your hands. Same style of clevises, same old TRUSTY 480/960 kV motor, utilizes practically the same method to affix the main wing that the Sport Cub uses (down to the little plastic cover over the screw holes), but has TWO main wing spars vice the one found in the Sport Cub, the same trusty servos, etc.

I also like the "sporty" look to it, even including the under wing stripes for orientation, and the fact HH (Chris, actually) went so far as to make sure the servos were covered in matching tape to the under wing stripes! Cool attention to detail and it shows they cared when they designed this model

Will I change the wheels on this to permit grass landings? Don't know yet - I'll make that call once I fly this off of my new home field, which is actually a very nice, paved runway. I'll be splitting my time here in Vegas and the Outpost (yes, I'm going back to work at the Outpost !!!) so I'll have a few planes permanently based down there as well so I don't have to be transporting them back and forth.

Sport Cub and Wildcat will be down there for sure.....the Valiant? Don't know yet, but we'll see.....she may just stay here with my Las Vegas fleet....

Cheers brother
Jan 07, 2017, 11:17 PM
AA6JB
A shot of the new 1.3m Valiant off the display cradle, as taken at the AMA Expo West this AM. It seemed much bigger once on the floor by itself? A nice looking sport model for sure!

Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub

Quick Reply