Sep 09, 2021, 08:47 PM
Thanks
Had me worried
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2021, 11:50 PM
Flyin' Ryan
That looks great. Blue and white airplanes look great on the ground, but are terrible for flying. I added some orange trim between the blue and its surprising how much that helps. I've had a couple people comment on it. I like the new RV, but it's another blue airplane, and I know my painting skills would not render the result you have. Well done!
Last edited by rycomm; Sep 09, 2021 at 11:58 PM.
Sep 11, 2021, 08:19 AM
Blue kinda suck on RC planes. I try to put some red on these to make them visible.
Sep 13, 2021, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Two Valiant's came together yesterday.
Mine's repairable, the other one is a bit iffy
Hello,

I have similar crash, except mine is worse. Plastic part is broken in several places, and landing gear is wrecked.

I’ll glue back to the foam the plastic part, but any recommendation for a replacement landing gear. One that comes already with «Tundra like» wheels ?
Otherwise I’ll get the original one.
Sep 13, 2021, 09:45 AM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Klink
Hello,

I have similar crash, except mine is worse. Plastic part is broken in several places, and landing gear is wrecked.

I’ll glue back to the foam the plastic part, but any recommendation for a replacement landing gear. One that comes already with «Tundra like» wheels ?
Otherwise I’ll get the original one.
The stock LG is good enough so no need to replace that if it's not wrecked.

The first thing I did was replaced the wheels/pants since I fly off grass. I removed the stock axles and replace them with #6 (I think) machine screws as axles with the needed number of nylon lock nuts.

For wheels I used the wheels from the discontinued Lady Ester Flyzone Beaver. I believe they are 3.5" in diameter but very light (key!). If I remembered correctly I have to ream out the holes just a tad. This setup has given me 2 years of service with no issues.

I know those wheels are no longer available but you might be able to use wheels from the current Tundra or Timber planes from Eflite or other brands. I would not go smaller than 3.5" diameter.

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...od_id=FLZA6554
Sep 13, 2021, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
The stock LG is good enough so no need to replace that if it's not wrecked.

The first thing I did was replaced the wheels/pants since I fly off grass. I removed the stock axles and replace them with #6 (I think) machine screws as axles with the needed number of nylon lock nuts.

For wheels I used the wheels from the discontinued Lady Ester Flyzone Beaver. I believe they are 3.5" in diameter but very light (key!). If I remembered correctly I have to ream out the holes just a tad. This setup has given me 2 years of service with no issues.

I know those wheels are no longer available but you might be able to use wheels from the current Tundra or Timber planes from Eflite or other brands. I would not go smaller than 3.5" diameter.

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...od_id=FLZA6554
Thanks for all the insights. I think my landing gear is not worth soldering, I’ll order another stock one.
It’s cheap anyway which not the case of motor cowl, I’ll leave as it is.
Sep 13, 2021, 02:30 PM
I would straighten the gear.
Don't think it would be hard to get those right again.
Sep 13, 2021, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
I would straighten the gear.
Don't think it would be hard to get those right again.
It’s not difficult, but i’ll see if it does OK.
Last edited by W. Klink; Sep 14, 2021 at 01:52 PM.
Sep 19, 2021, 12:35 AM
Flyin' Ryan
I flew my valiant from water today at a local float fly. I had the floats left over from my old SportCub. I forgot that I had them. They mounted right up with the included hardware. I was surprised how similar it flew with the floats. I had to use a little more throttle, but still a great flying airplane. I flew 6 batteries, and averaged about 8 minutes each.
Oct 13, 2021, 01:57 AM
Yesterday i managed to crash my Valiant nose first into the ground, and the fuselage is now broken in 2 Parts (motor part seperated itself)
What do you think would be the best way to glue it together? Insert some thoothpicks and use epoxy?
Oct 13, 2021, 02:18 AM
Use hot water to fix wrinkles etc then glue using foam tac and tooth picks or barbecue sticks. Make sure that everything levels out and check motor down and side thrust lines are correct. Also check cg. Should be fine after that. Might need spackle and paint.
Last edited by diplodocus; Oct 14, 2021 at 02:53 PM.
Dec 26, 2021, 09:35 PM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
Greetings,
I'm considering one of these, seems like your all pretty happy with this bird, are there any gotchas I should be aware of? Would you recommend this plane to a friend?
Thanks
Dec 26, 2021, 09:48 PM
No need for me to recommend the Valiant 1.3 to my friends. They already have their own…….

Best E-Flite 3S foamy ever.
Dec 26, 2021, 10:12 PM
GOT WINGS
santanig5, the Valiant is my favorite plane of around a dozen, most in the same size range. With the flaps, it will take off and land in 15 feet or less. It performs aerobatics better than most of my other planes. With an APC SF 11x7 prop and gentle flying, I can easily get 9 minute flights with a 3S 1300mah battery. It does not tip stall easily, in fact I don't think I have ever had a stall with this plane no matter how slow I try to fly or land it.

The only possible downside to the Valiant is the landing gear. The tail wire is not very good, I replaced it with my own design and build and that works great. Seemed to nose over a bit so i moved the main gear forward and that helped. Later I replaced the main gear with a carbon fiber gear and that helped too. My gear also helped with the weight, mine without battery weighs 910 grams, am sure that also helps with duration of flight.

Get it, I think you'll like it.
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Dec 27, 2021, 08:38 AM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
No need for me to recommend the Valiant 1.3 to my friends. They already have their own…….

Best E-Flite 3S foamy ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
santanig5, the Valiant is my favorite plane of around a dozen, most in the same size range. With the flaps, it will take off and land in 15 feet or less. It performs aerobatics better than most of my other planes. With an APC SF 11x7 prop and gentle flying, I can easily get 9 minute flights with a 3S 1300mah battery. It does not tip stall easily, in fact I don't think I have ever had a stall with this plane no matter how slow I try to fly or land it.

The only possible downside to the Valiant is the landing gear. The tail wire is not very good, I replaced it with my own design and build and that works great. Seemed to nose over a bit so i moved the main gear forward and that helped. Later I replaced the main gear with a carbon fiber gear and that helped too. My gear also helped with the weight, mine without battery weighs 910 grams, am sure that also helps with duration of flight.

Get it, I think you'll like it.
Thanks gents,
Anyone flying these on 4S 2200mAh or with skis?

Quick Reply