Thread Tools
Mar 17, 2017, 01:00 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
rcnutrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I've used rubbing alcohol before and it works fairly good
Good to know, how did you apply the alcohol, I am afraid the lint from the Q-Tip will do more harm.
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2017, 02:46 PM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
Good to know, how did you apply the alcohol, I am afraid the lint from the Q-Tip will do more harm.
I've saturated a cotton ball and squeezed a few drops on them, and other times I was impatient and just dumped it on them out of the bottle. A small syringe or eye dropper would be ideal though.
Mar 17, 2017, 02:56 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
rcnutrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I've saturated a cotton ball and squeezed a few drops on them, and other times I was impatient and just dumped it on them out of the bottle. A small syringe or eye dropper would be ideal though.
Thanks! Great suggestion, I have those little bottles with a needle to dispense glue or what not.
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Mar 17, 2017, 06:10 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Gary Hoorn's Avatar

Cessna 182 Spinner


Roger,
Thank you for the link, Ordered some and will attempt to paint them silver
Gary
Mar 17, 2017, 06:53 PM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
Thanks! Great suggestion, I have those little bottles with a needle to dispense glue or what not.
If you try it let me know how it works out, just curious. I did an aileron servo on my Pitts and it works great now, but I've also got the elevator servo chattering also.

Long term it would be a good idea to use Deoxit and that Fader lube stuff, but the alcohol will often work to get you going.
Mar 17, 2017, 07:10 PM
☠ -4º
freddy_fo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
If you try it let me know how it works out, just curious. I did an aileron servo on my Pitts and it works great now, but I've also got the elevator servo chattering also.

Long term it would be a good idea to use Deoxit and that Fader lube stuff, but the alcohol will often work to get you going.
I was a skeptic of the deoxit cure. I had a bottle still in package for several months sitting in my flight box. Then one day while at the field my son was fighting a spazzy aileron servo on his p-47 which had been progressively getting worse over time. I unpackaged the deoxit and did a quick squirt and voila! Instant results and no foam issues.
Mar 17, 2017, 11:05 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
rocketsled666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
I've been under the impression that the roll oscillation it the gyro reacting to vibration. My Waco has not done it (yet) but my second Pitts did, and my new Cessna does a little. My first Pitts was rock solid. I never adjusted any gains.

Am I wrong to believe that oscillation is the result of vibration? My buddy had a Carbon Z yak 54 that did the same thing. He changed the prop, and the problem went away completely.
AS3X is a closed loop control system. The loop has a frequency response (strength of response vs. frequency of disturbance), phase response (delay between input disturbance and output correction as a function of frequency) and a phase crossover (a frequency above which the output correction is completely out of phase with the input). Oscillation occurs around the phase crossover frequency because with disturbances at this frequency the correction is 180º out of phase with what it's supposed to be, it always reinforces the error. It doesn't matter where the disturbance comes from, the loop doesn't care. A quick response to a flight control change because the plane is flying fast, or vibrations in the airframe occurring at the same rate. Whether it's an impulse or a resonance, all that matters is if it happens fast enough.

So yes, absolutely, vibration from a prop out of balance will definitely contribute to oscillations of a stabilized flight controller. Which axis is affected is going to be a function of many factors including the structure of the model, where/how the FC is mounted, and the PID settings for each axis. I don't think there'd be one rule.
Mar 17, 2017, 11:51 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
rcnutrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
If you try it let me know how it works out, just curious. I did an aileron servo on my Pitts and it works great now, but I've also got the elevator servo chattering also.

Long term it would be a good idea to use Deoxit and that Fader lube stuff, but the alcohol will often work to get you going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I was a skeptic of the deoxit cure. I had a bottle still in package for several months sitting in my flight box. Then one day while at the field my son was fighting a spazzy aileron servo on his p-47 which had been progressively getting worse over time. I unpackaged the deoxit and did a quick squirt and voila! Instant results and no foam issues.

As I said earlier, the compressed air helped a lot, may be 90%. After I found my needle bottle, I put a drop of 91% rubbing alcohol and air dried again with the compressed air, now the servo is dead calm.
I ordered the DeoxIt kit just for my field tool box.
Thanks.
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Mar 17, 2017, 11:55 PM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I was a skeptic of the deoxit cure. I had a bottle still in package for several months sitting in my flight box. Then one day while at the field my son was fighting a spazzy aileron servo on his p-47 which had been progressively getting worse over time. I unpackaged the deoxit and did a quick squirt and voila! Instant results and no foam issues.
Glad to hear that it worked! Many of us who have been flying these UM/UMX aircraft with their open-frame linear-actuator servos for years know that DeoxIT is the key to years of trouble-free operation.

Those of us who have worked in the pro-audio industry also know this - as DeoxIT D-series & F-series originally got their claim to fame for rejuvenating & protecting pots & sliders on mixing consoles & musical instruments.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Mar 18, 2017, 12:20 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
rcnutrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Glad to hear that it worked! Many of us who have been flying these UM/UMX aircraft with their open-frame linear-actuator servos for years know that DeoxIT is the key to years of trouble-free operation.

Those of us who have worked in the pro-audio industry also know this - as DeoxIT D-series & F-series originally got their claim to fame for rejuvenating & protecting pots & sliders on mixing consoles & musical instruments.

Joel
lol.... I am on the wrong side of the game! My musical instrument is a 277 year old one, comes permanently lubed.
Been recording for major motion pictures here in Hollywood for the last 25 years but not in the recording booth behind the consoles.
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Mar 18, 2017, 12:23 AM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
I come from the opposite end. I grew up with killer stereo gear. My mom is 92, but she's been an audiophile for many decades. I've been an audio engineer for 40+ years... (I also played concert & jazz trumpet in high-school, along with trumpet trio, jazz quartet, marching band, and pep band. Plus, I sang tenor in concert choir, and I sang bass in barbershop quartet. Also - I got got picked for state band & choir competition during my junior & senior years in high-school.) Plus, I've always been an electronics guy. That turned into a desire to become an audio engineer.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 18, 2017 at 12:40 AM.
Mar 18, 2017, 12:34 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
rcnutrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I've been an audio engineer for 40+ years...

Joel
Cheers! Joel!
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Mar 18, 2017, 12:49 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
rcnutrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I come from the opposite end. I grew up with killer stereo gear. My mom is 92, but she's been an audiophile for many decades. I've been an audio engineer for 40+ years... (I also played concert & jazz trumpet in high-school, along with trumpet trio, jazz quartet, marching band, and pep band. Plus, I sang tenor in concert choir, and I sang bass in barbershop quartet. Also - I got got picked for state band & choir competition during my junior & senior years in high-school.) Plus, I've always been an electronics guy. That turned into a desire to become an audio engineer.

Joel
That is very impressive, and best wishes to your Mom. My Mom is a concert pianist but she doesn't know how to turn the amplifier on....
I have been a cellist all my life and I play in a symphony as Principal cello and I am active with all the recording work here in Los Angeles.
Tim
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Mar 18, 2017, 01:49 PM
"The bug has bit"
Sco_Pet's Avatar
Here Is a simple easy video of the Waco flying on 3S

E-flite UMX WACO Sport Flying (5 min 4 sec)
Last edited by Sco_Pet; Mar 18, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Mar 18, 2017, 02:01 PM
Crazy Canuck
NEWBEFLYER's Avatar
Well the wings didn't shed off .
Ha ! you must of watched the Reno Air races on TV last week. She really hoots along now have the Bearcat run alongside with it, then the P-51, using a UM Icon-5 for chase plane.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools