Jan 10, 2017, 12:40 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
So the next question is, can the P47 radial be retrofit to the waco.. muahaha. (And painted)
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2017, 12:48 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
So the next question is, can the P47 radial be retrofit to the waco.. muahaha. (And painted)
I actually thought about that. It can probably be made to work, but the insert on the P-47 is oblong, not a perfect circle like the Waco's nose, and you'd probably have to hog out quite a bit of foam to get it to sit back in the cowl properly.

I'm totally fine with a sticker as long as it's a good-looking sticker and not one that looks like the sample they had at AMAX. The one in the photograph on page 1 of this thread looks okay. The one at AMAX looked nothing like that. The colors were way more contrasting and it was super-super blurry.

Maybe Callie can do something about that.
Jan 10, 2017, 12:55 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
A lot of the guys in the 1875mm B17 thread put a scaled picture of the interior of a B17 nose turret on their B17s. Myself included. Finding a good pic online and scaling it/printing at home will yield a good look.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jan 10, 2017, 01:00 AM
Fukeńgrüven
I'm quite sure the one at AMAX is probably a Preproduction version they are flying and showing off. They may still do a little fine tuning yet to come. We shall see, but just because a sticker looks bad isn't a real issue for me that's easy to fix. The blue from the AMAX model and the Blue on the Horizon Hobby website look like two different shades of blue. I guess we shall see on that in the near future.
Jan 10, 2017, 01:21 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
As I said, the sticker on the Production Version of the Gee Bee looks exactly like the one I saw on the Waco at the AMA Expo last Friday. Whether things have improved or not since that time I don't know. It's an out-of-focused disc of radial engine sticker.
I would never complain if the prom queen has a nice figure regardless if there is a wart on the forehead or not, walk behind her and enjoy the view.
Last edited by rcnutrc; Jan 10, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Jan 10, 2017, 01:58 AM
Preordered one w/15% coupon. Little touch up with black paint will fix the faux radial issue.
Jan 10, 2017, 07:51 AM
circle flyer
[QUOTE=Rampage;36605790

That sticker they put on there to represent the radial looks horrible. It was out of focus, it was bright blue and it just looked awful. I really don't know what they were thinking with that. Especially when they'd done pretty dummy radials on the P-47 and the likes..[/QUOTE]

Heavens, most of us are modelers are we not? A better looking sticker or even a plastic radial seems like pretty easy fixes to me. Of more concern to me is the missing painted cowl front that I really like as in the picture. Again, matching paint or Callie can fix that too
Last edited by slow and low; Jan 10, 2017 at 07:59 AM.
Jan 10, 2017, 08:02 AM
Couple shots of the Wright engines on a few Waco's/Travel Air I took earlier this summer. I was at the Antique Airplane Association annual fly-in back in August. At least gives a little detail for those looking to improve on the sticker. Sorry they aren't straight on shots, but I'll bet an internet search will turn up something better.
Jan 10, 2017, 08:13 AM
This Waco from HH is a model of a YMF-5 which is manufactured new under license using the Waco name. It uses a 300 HP Jacobs engine. The most notable difference in that from the pictures I posted is that the exhaust collector ring is behind the cylinders.

Hope that helps someone
Last edited by 2Winger; Jan 10, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
Jan 10, 2017, 10:41 AM
They call me Lipo...
This thing's like a blank canvas to an artist's hands....can't wait to see what some of you cook up for it....
Jan 10, 2017, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
This thing's like a blank canvas to an artist's hands....can't wait to see what some of you cook up for it....
Agreed!!

Probably some good plastic radials out there from plastic kits that would fit.
Jan 10, 2017, 11:19 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
Agreed! If the radial is the worst thing about this plane I will be happy. I am a flyer and not a true scale enthusiast.
Gary
Jan 10, 2017, 11:46 AM
**I'm Battman**
Dear Horizon,

Have you ever considered selling 'exact match' touch-up paint for these UMX planes??
Many of these models only use a color or two.
I think you would sell a boat load.

Roger
Jan 10, 2017, 11:57 AM
They call me Lipo...
You know Roger......that might not be a bad idea !!!

They could include a couple of smaller vials of paint; might even be a smart marketing strategy for mere pennies....hmmm....

Quick Reply