Pacific NW ALES 2017 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by olythom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 04, 2017, 08:17 PM
Discussion

Pacific NW ALES 2017

I am starting this thread as a dropbox for contest schedules and contest announcements related to ALES events in the greater PNW for 2017. As info comes in from clubs in the region, I will do my best to get them posted here in Post #1. If you are one of the active clubs in the NW, and you are holding Ales events this year, feel free to post them in this thread or PM me with the particulars and I will get them added into this post....
>Thom

Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association
All events will be held at the TCMAA Club field.
As of right now, General rules will include ;
Standard AMA rule book stuff, including but not limited to.....
10m landing tape (1m graduations)
Our normal TCMAA safety boundaries
Bonus landing points
Skegs allowed
Varios allowed - as long as they are not loud, audible units that irritate other flyers
Any changes to dates or specific rules will be announced in this thread prior to the affected contest.

Sunday January 22
Sunday February 26
Sunday March 26
Sunday April 30
Sunday May 28
Saturday June 24
Sunday July 23
Sunday August 27
Sunday September 24
Sunday October 15
Sunday November 19
Sunday December 10

Seattle Area Soaring Society
Saturday / Sunday. July 29-30. Carnation, WA. ** Note this is 2 one-day events that will count towards the PNW Ales Championship Series for 2017

Our friends in Montana have established their Ales schedule for the year. A great bunch of guys that just love flying.

Here is the Helena Flying Tigers contest calendar for 2017.

Sat. Mar. 25 2017
Sat. Apr. 29, 2017
Sat. May 27 2017
Sat. Jun. 24, 2017
Sat. Jul. 29, 2017
Fri. Aug. 18, 2017 Big Sky F5J
Sat., Sun. Aug. 19-20, 2017 MT Summer ALES ***
Sat. Sep. 30, 2017
Sat. Oct. 28, 2017

NOTE: In addition to these ALES dates, the Montana guys are putting on an "OFFICIAL" F5J contest on the Friday prior to the two-day ALES event. That F5J contest is part of the larger F5J Tour that will be held at sites around the country. The date for that is FRIDAY - Aug 18 !

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

June 10-11. Spokane Classic. - Pasco, WA

************************************************** *********************************

July 8th and 9th PASS Championship Series CD Bob Nelson
$25 for both days - $15 for one day (for this event)
Last edited by olythom; Jun 01, 2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added Montana dates ... Added Spokane @ Pasco ?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2017, 02:01 PM
Thom,

I've taken the liberty of adding these dates to the new ALES League calendar at http://www.ales.org

Please keep me in the loop on any schedule changes and new events. I'm trying to make the ALES League schedule more comprehensive this year.

David
Jan 07, 2017, 02:52 PM
doo
doo
Skegs and varios are allowed?
Jan 07, 2017, 06:02 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo
Skegs and varios are allowed?
I can see the need for skegs, but varios should never be allowed in a soaring contest. I'm sure opinions will vary. The new rules are written so that they are allowed but CDs still have a choice to allow are not allow the use of those items but they must announce their intentions.

I personally will not attend an event that allows the use of varios.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Frahm; Jan 08, 2017 at 12:25 AM.
Jan 07, 2017, 11:23 PM
doo
doo
I would vote no to either. You could probably twist my arm, to the idea of the skeg, but varios....No thanks.
Jan 08, 2017, 01:45 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo
I would vote no to either. You could probably twist my arm, to the idea of the skeg, but varios....No thanks.
Me too, Josh.

I think I'm going to boycott contests that allow varios.

--
Greg
Jan 08, 2017, 02:07 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
If we're voting I vote no to Skegs and Varios.
However, If I'm able to attend the contest I'll fly by the rules the CD puts forth. In other words I'll fly where my schedule allows as my time is limited.

Curtis
Jan 08, 2017, 04:29 PM
Personally, I'm with Curtis. I would also vote no to both but I would not turn down a chance to fly gliders with my buddies regardless of minor rule mods which would likely have little or no effect on a contest.
That being said..... As pointed out in Post #1 (which applies only to TCMAA club events), "As of right now, General rules will include standard AMA rule book stuff" . I hope it's also is clear that I am keeping options open... "Any changes to dates or specific rules will be announced in this thread prior to the affected contest."
I cannot really see how either of these rules are going to dramatically change a contest and, at the club level, if having the help of a vario or a skeg encourages someone to come out and try a glider contest, what's the harm? Maybe a new guy will come out with a vario and actually use it to aid in learning how to read air.?.?.

BTW.... a couple of questions for you more experienced glider guys..... Thermal sensing devices are already legal in the AMA TD rules. How many varios have you actually seen at a contest? Do typical TD announcements specifically state that thermal sensing devices are not allowed?
See ya at the field.
>Thom
Jan 08, 2017, 05:24 PM
I vote no to both. Proper landing speed management should eliminate the need for a skeg. The only conditions I think it might help is wet grass, but that's not enough reason for me to put one on my airframe.

I agree with Thom, I will still come out and fly. I'll just figure out who has a vario and follow them around sky. 😀

Brian
Jan 08, 2017, 05:24 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
No thermal sensing device has been allowed at TD events. Not sure what you are referencing? AMA rules strictly forbid it.

I attended one major ALES event last year where they allowed varios. Only one person decided to use it and he won the contest. He was the only person to make his time during the difficult rounds. The rest of use that finished 2nd - 6th were all within 15 - 20 points of each other.

There's no shortcut to learning to read air, technology won't help at all. IMHO, it'll just make you lazy.

However, this is a democracy, if the consensus is to allow varios in ALSE events then I'll switch the Spokane ALES event to an F5J event.��
Jan 08, 2017, 05:26 PM
Hmmm... after listening to the voice of reason (Curtis & Thom), I reserve the right to make exceptions to my boycott of contests where varios are legal.

I actually own the Spektrum variometer, I bought it when they first came out several years ago. I've never even tried it. The TM1000 telemetry module won't even fit easily in my Xplorer, so I'll have to try it in something else.

If you see me wearing an earpiece, and flying a Radian, you'll know I like it.

--
Greg
Jan 08, 2017, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
No thermal sensing device has been allowed at TD events. Not sure what you are referencing? AMA rules strictly forbid it.
From the 2015-2016 RC Soaring AMA rulebook, section 10.1.f:
Thermal Sensor Rule.
Thermal sensing devices shall be permitted provided that
any such device and the contestant comply with
all FCC regulations and that any such device
does not interfere with the conduct of the contest.
No special arrangement or rearrangement of
flight order, established as noted above, shall be
made in consideration of such devices.

--
Greg
Last edited by gdouglas; Jan 08, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Jan 08, 2017, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm

I attended one major ALES event last year where they allowed varios.
Jim, that wasn't a legal ALES contest.

From the 2015-2016 AMA RC Soaring rulebook, in the ALES (event 463) rules, section 6.5:

5. Any device for the transmission of information from the model aircraft to the
pilot or timer/helper which would assist the pilot in finding, locating or centering
on thermal or slope lift is prohibited.

--
Greg
Jan 08, 2017, 05:39 PM
I have vario. I built one from a Thermal Scout and a baby monitor a couple of years ago. No passing judgement on me.... it works great. Here's the link.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-with-Downlink

With that said I have used it a bunch just playing around. It does help to learn to read the air and how the plane reacts to thermals. But I wouldn't use it in a contest because it drives me nuts listening to it, it's distracting. Plus I think part of the fun of gliders is the challenge of learning to read the air using what I can see and feel.

Brian
Jan 08, 2017, 05:46 PM
Cognitive dissonance
I'm more worried about those deadly skegs! I've heard there have been several hundred horrible deaths from landing accidents with those pointy blade-like appendages.

I have a bunch of varios. The oXs one works very well with the FrSky telemetry (also works with Jeti and others). I find a 10 second call-out of the altitude more useful than an uncompensated vario (I do have Total Energy compensated probes as well).

I'm hoping Jim *does* switch the Spokane ALES meet to F5J!

Kevin