Jan 17, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
There doesn't seem to be many non-foam, EDFs out there anymore. You go to a lot of websites only to find that a nice looking scale model is now "discontinued". Where do people go to buy an EDF model these days - one that's not foam and doesn't cost a fortune? Say $400 to $500 all in minus batteries.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2017, 02:25 PM
Pro Hoarder
At that price point you wont find any.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 17, 2017, 02:42 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Leger
There doesn't seem to be many non-foam, EDFs out there anymore. You go to a lot of websites only to find that a nice looking scale model is now "discontinued". Where do people go to buy an EDF model these days - one that's not foam and doesn't cost a fortune? Say $400 to $500 all in minus batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
At that price point you wont find any.
Exactly. Foam EDFs are the trend right now. Quality is on the rise as are scale outlines (if that's your thing). I'm not saying your criteria are unreasonable; you're just not going to be able to find a built-up model that looks as good, performs as well, and comes in at the price point of a nice foam jet.
Jan 18, 2017, 12:40 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
Nonsense. Foam jets often fly better than composite due to lighter wing loading and often better power to weight ratio.
Composite usually fly faster out of necessity to prevent stall. This requires better and longer runways along with higher power fans and batteries.
Most of my foam jets are fully aerobatic and have retractable gear along with every scale detail and working flight control including Brakes.
My recommendation for best first EDF is the FW 90mm Venom. Great flyer on 6S. Only mod I would say is necessary is to shorten the nose leg to prevent it touching down first causing a bounce.
Foamies are easier to fly mainly to the paratitic drag of foam surface and thicker airfoils for structural reasons. They are pretty fool proof to repair as well. If this is the best choice is up to your personal interest or skills. For edf entry it's okay but one needs to see non foamie edf jets to see the difference in performance. It would be sad if one doesn't continue edf planes because of experiences in a weaker concept.

The Tomahawk Viperjet performs nice in the demo videos but I managed to fly with identical hardware (2w20,4s,70mm, sea level) at 300kmh in a balsa edf jet (in 2007) . I haven't published the drawings because of safety issues when novice builders/flyers boost up the power unit.
Composite planes are great but do have disadvantages. I like the composite fuse (lightweight) but dislike the heavier wings and the high prices. I'm keen on composite fuse and foam core wings/build up wings or all wood planes.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:56 PM
🇪🇺🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇪🇺

Phoenix Model BAE HAWK

RCG
More photos
Tower
Jan 27, 2017, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Leger
Manufacturing costs of foamy aircraft are miniscule compared to composite. The closest thing is the Habu 32, and once you get all the components its about 1,000$.

Take the BVM electra as an example.. probably as fancy as an edf sport jet as you can get, painted arf fuselage, landing gear, power system... bam you are already way over what I spent on my turbine futura.

Basically, by the time you get a nice looking scale model and good components, you are already spending as much as you would on a turbine, so just get a turbine. It will fly better anyways.

If you wanted to get a composite the same price as a foamy, it would be poor quality and no one would buy it over a foamy, except the people that want to be like "ooh it's shiny because it's not foam", and then they would probably fly it 3 times until it falls apart.

Just learn to glass and paint and take a foamy and make it a composite if you really want to. The smaller foamy jets are more scale than any composite in that size could possibly be.
Last edited by bandetlol; Jan 27, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
Jan 27, 2017, 05:04 PM
Hey Tom,

Boy that was a while ago! I called my version of the Phantom The "Quasi Vector" ha ha. I gave the NIB air frame to a friend, and never heard what became of it.

The Squall was fun (at ~150mph). If I remember correctly yours was faster. (the fastest Squall ever)
Last edited by efflux RC; Jan 27, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Jan 27, 2017, 05:16 PM
Another good quality composite at a reasonable price (for EDF or turbine) is the 90mm Sebart, "Mini Avanti". Super light weight, composite fuse, with built up covered wings.

I got mine Lindiger for about $535 (including shipping from Germany to California).
https://www.lindinger.at/en/SwpFindo...ch=mini+avanti
The base model includes tri gear retracts, srtuts, wheels, a twin nose door with servos and gear/door sequencer, all factory installed in the airframe.

The jet is very light and is very well mannered. I let mine get too far out, lost oreintation and then the jet. I have a new one going together bench right now.
Last edited by efflux RC; Jan 27, 2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added text
Jan 27, 2017, 09:12 PM
That is a good price if it includes the retracts, legs (and shipping)!
I just checked out the site and they ship to every country you could imagine but not Canada. Very strange. Any idea why?
Price listed now is 559 Euro (plus shipping I assume)?
Last edited by 4stripes; Jan 27, 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Jan 28, 2017, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
That is a good price if it includes the retracts, legs (and shipping)!
I just checked out the site and they ship to every country you could imagine but not Canada. Very strange. Any idea why?
Price listed now is 559 Euro (plus shipping I assume)?

The answer I got once is the box is too big for shipping, take that for what it's worth.

The mini avanti is a high quality piece of kit at a decent price, just not a huge fan of that style of jet personally. I wish there were more composite jets around as well. Really enjoy the performance and challenge in flying them. With foam it's just too easy, almost like flying any other prop plane, with their low wing loading, they just float.

I think the field has completely dried up in the 70mm class.

List of my 70mm composite jets:

HET super sniper
HET F20.
HK Viperjet
Sapac T45
Sapac L39

I may be forgetting one or two, however i should feel fortunate as I have seen the mythical 70mm composite Avro Arrow fly.

Quick Reply