Jan 04, 2017, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Make an EDF suggestion!

I'm looking for suggestions for a first edf. I have been flying since the 80s, and I am a fair pilot. Everything from fast deltas, to 3D planes, F3A planes, scale WWI, gliders, and even a few scratch built 400 sized speed planes. But I have always wanted to try a jet!

My criteria are:
  • It would be great to be able to use my existing 5S, 4000 mah, 45C lipos.
  • I just hate foam, so it has to be composite or balsa/ply.
  • Could be an arf, a complete kit, or even a short kit for me to build. An arf would be ideal, but I like building, too.
  • I would rather have a scale subject, but a sport plane will do.
  • It should be easy to fly and land, mildly aerobatic, and doesn't have to be bullet fast.
  • I want it to roll off grass, have retracts and no need for a bungee.
  • Single engine model.
  • Can't cost a fortune.

So far, I have only found a couple that meet my criteria:

RBC Yak-15 (There are some other nice looking RBC kits, too)
Shane Harding Razor 90
K&A Mig-15? is a 4000 mah lipo too large for this one?
BD-5 Fiberglass Sport 90 mm I think hobbyking used to sell this, but I still see them on ebay.
Hero F-86

I have been searching for days, are there any other good choices out there?

Thanks!
Last edited by Barry Leger; Jan 04, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2017, 05:13 PM
Pro Hoarder
Any of the RBC kits would be great. I have been looking at the mig 25 for 90mm. K&A kits are also great but most are for 70mm so small gear which is not to good for grass. Ken does have a 90mm F100. Or a Jet hanger Hobbies kit. My avitar is their sky ray for 70mm
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 04, 2017, 06:46 PM
How about the habu 32x?
Jan 04, 2017, 08:21 PM
Reading your criteria:
70mm edf batteries to big.

Since you are flying since 80 probably above 50 years your eyes will apreciate a big bird.
So a 90mm edf is the option.

Today the trend is Foam and in the last two years mostly most edf jets are foam. Since for sure you are a builder take a look a jepe jets on how he transforms foam into composite flying jet. Another interesting web page is aerotetris.

High level edf jet 90mm
1. avanti 90mm edf jet, 10s jetfan 90 edf
2. Jeteng viper

Mid Level $
1. hobby king diablo

Low level $ foam jets
1. taft viper.
2. fms 90mm. Stinger

Builder kits
Since ARF is the trend very few kits manufactrers.
1. JetHangar f86 or Skyhawk A4 both proven on 90m edf.
2. Balsa USA force one modified to 90mm edf. (I did this from a hand me down plane from friend) robust, fixed landing gear, huge space for lippos.

I recomend to start with a foam edf plane, while gain expereince and knowledge with edf.

cheers

Juan
Jan 05, 2017, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys!
Jan 05, 2017, 11:59 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Hi Barry,

for a first edf kit to match your batteriepack I may suggest this one:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...-(90er-EDF-Jet)

It's for a light 90mm setup (vdo in thread too). In 70mm it's a much faster plane and much cheaper as a 90mm drive train.

The batterie size you have can be used for 70mm but size restrictions make a 90mm a better alternative.

For composites you may have a look at the Aeronaut panther too.

Personally I'd advise you to chose a 70mm impala with a 4s3000mAh and 2w20. If you may not like edf you will not have spend a fortune on money and time to find out if it is your game.
This setup can be used in all 70mm kits and is very modular and best bang for performance and will fit near all rbc kits edf jets (not yak23 batterie room is tight but can fit when reworked).
The 5s4000 pack you have is best for prop aerobatic planes but a bit of a strange duck in the edf scene you may use this in a winter bird?
http://www.hoelleinshop.com/Flugmode...=12623&p=12623

The Yak15 is a great plane having build many rbc kits I know thay take a considerable amount of time to complete and to finish. this makes it a but tough to enter edf BUT you learn to build lightweight.
Jan 05, 2017, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Erik, I really like that Impala. Can it be hand launched? I would like to roll off grass, but hand launch would be fine. As long as no bungee is required.
Jan 05, 2017, 01:21 PM
Impala Wemotec Minifan Mit Kontronik Setup 5S (1 min 59 sec)
Jan 05, 2017, 01:29 PM
The 5S fits in the Jettbrett not sure of CG.
VTH Jetbrett EDF von WEMOTEC mit HET 2W20 --- Erstflug --- (3 min 28 sec)
Jan 16, 2017, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all your input guys. After a lot of debating, I decided to jump into the foam world and get a Freewing Stinger 64HP. It's a cheap way for me to try out EDF before I step up to something more complex.
Jan 16, 2017, 03:05 PM
euhm... foamies do not perform as well as composite or balsa due to weight ,surface structure and production compromises if you insist on a foamie I think this one is best choice:
http://shop.wemotec.com/Tomahawk-Viperjet-white
Best of all it's knife edge capeable and it's (again) 70mm and 2w20/4s3000 VERY modular setup which outbeats a 2nd project in costs.
BUT you can hear the typical foam woosh in the vid which is a signinficant loss in efficiency.

have fun!
Erik
Jan 16, 2017, 04:27 PM
Nonsense. Foam jets often fly better than composite due to lighter wing loading and often better power to weight ratio.
Composite usually fly faster out of necessity to prevent stall. This requires better and longer runways along with higher power fans and batteries.
Most of my foam jets are fully aerobatic and have retractable gear along with every scale detail and working flight control including Brakes.
My recommendation for best first EDF is the FW 90mm Venom. Great flyer on 6S. Only mod I would say is necessary is to shorten the nose leg to prevent it touching down first causing a bounce.
Jan 16, 2017, 04:39 PM
Ehm why not pair them 5s 4000 mah up to 10s and buy a nice 90mm edf , lots of choices now.

Saying that a cheap foamie is a good way to start with edfs.
Last edited by raydar; Jan 16, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Jan 16, 2017, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
I was thinking the same thing! I can go 10S when the time comes for a bigger EDF. For now, a cheap foamy will do. I was surprised to see the Stinger 64 is PNP with metal geared servos and a 12 blade fan, will do 85 mph on 4S out of the box and it can knife edge just fine. At under $130, it's not so much an investment.
Jan 17, 2017, 01:38 PM
I have the Tomahawk or Wemotec edf jet. It is a superb Jet. I glassed it and took away the foamie look. Have a build here on forums.

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/t...kviperedf.html

Does all the maneuvers you can think off.

Cheers

JUAN

Quick Reply